Poll: Which flight simulator do you use the most?

Which flight simulator do you use the most?

Poll ended at 05 Dec 2012, 12:30

FS9
49%
FSX
51%
XP10
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 103

esg

Poll: Which flight simulator do you use the most?

Post by esg »

It's time for one of these....

GaryG

Re: Poll: Which flight simulator do you use the most?

Post by GaryG »

Yep...yep

szpirogyra

Post by szpirogyra »

what u gonna do with the results ?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Send them to the national statistics office ;)

Joel

Post by Joel »

2,300 Hours on FSX over 6 Years... YEAH BABY. (About 70% was done on the JustFlight 767 and 20% on PMDG 747-400.)

RémyG

Post by RémyG »

election time?

Xudeva

Post by Xudeva »

FS9 for fun,but I have FSX too because the repaints

Boeing 787-8

Post by Boeing 787-8 »

Fs9, my pc isn´t very good...

eddm

Post by eddm »

What a question for all the nice PA FS9 buses :laugh:

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

At the current moment I use both. But when PMDG releases their 777 and I upgrade my video card and SSD, goodbye FS9 and hello FSX.

SeDie

Post by SeDie »

FS9, i have the most Add-Ons ;-)

Joel

Post by Joel »

If they change their minds about FSX development because so many people still use FS9 I'm going to kill 92 cats.

ReneM.

Post by ReneM. »

That would be very awful if they would change their mind. Like one user said, the most one are playing FS9 because their PC isn't good enough. Until August I only played FS9, too.

But now with a new PC whic runs FSX perfectly smooth it's so much better. And especially with active thermals :D. That's a real challenge.

Nixpilot

Post by Nixpilot »

I will always use fs9 even the day i will get fsx.

A320ER

Post by A320ER »

Always will be using FS9

airbuspilot

Post by airbuspilot »

FS9 is perfect for Online Flights ;)

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

I never got FS9...so FSX is the way to go for me. I made the jump from FS2002 to FSX and I was just like ... :o THIS LOOKS SOOO PRETTY.

10 minutes later, I realized that it was running at like 5 fps :/ . It took like three years to get to 15 with an Athlon64 machine :laugh: And from there I got to like 30 with my current Fx8150 machine :)

EDIT: I like smilies :D

Flightsimmer

Post by Flightsimmer »

FS9 is good but I fly alot on fsx since i prefer more visuals.

eddm

Post by eddm »

TheRedBaron wrote:I never got FS9...so FSX is the way to go for me. I made the jump from FS2002 to FSX and I was just like ... :o THIS LOOKS SOOO PRETTY.

10 minutes later, I realized that it was running at like 5 fps :/ . It took like three years to get to 15 with an Athlon64 machine :laugh: And from there I got to like 30 with my current Fx8150 machine :)

EDIT: I like smilies :D
Hi,
could you specify your system Data (mainboard, cpu, RAM etc)? I just want to find out what a switch to a FSX-capable system would cost.
Currently I'm running FS9 with a dual Core Pentium (3.33 GHz), 4 Gig Ram, ATI Graphicscard with 1 Gig memory, OS: WInXP 32bit

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Yea, no problem! Just a note--this first appeared as an HP machine, and was modified extensively, so I will just put down the parts I have used in general (the mainboard is OEM...so it sucks).
CPU : AMD Fx-8150 3.6/3.9/4.2 GHz (stock) 4M/8T (AMD markets it as 8-core...I think it is more than a simple quad core...so I prefer 4 module)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80-I recommend this! It is WONDERFUL. Loud, but it literally keeps my CPU at like 10C in ambient 25C environments (idle), and no more than 45 under tremendous load.
MOBO : AMD 970 (AM3+)--OEM motherboard...sucks a lot. I would recommend a 990X or 990FX, since those are literally like 20 USD more than 970.
RAM : 16 GB DDR3-1333 (9-9-9) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline (Downclocked by my stupid mainboard from their stock 1600 8-8-8 timings :/ )
GPU : Nvidia Quadro 6000 6GB GDDR5 (I have this for research I do *Like I could afford it myself...that is a good joke*--It is very feature-filled, and does provide some boost. HOWEVER, I recommend a GTX660Ti/GTX670 if you can afford it. If
not, a 7870 ought to do the trick)
HDD : Seagate 7200 RPM OEM 1.5TB drive (3Gb/s)--I think it is failing :/

I will tell you this...if you have money to burn, go get an Intel i7. The AMD 8150 is great, but in terms of single-threaded performance (FSX..grrr), it is really not brilliant. If you decide to OC, then 8150 is great. The Fx-8350 is the new flagship...IDK how it works with FSX though. Cheaper, cost-efficient build = AMD processor--> more expensive build = Intel processor. That choice is up to you. You need to figure out what you do with your computer and how much benefit there is. As for OS..go 64 bit.

In FSX, I use pretty high settings overall...50% all traffic except for GA(0%), full scenery, autogen, special effects, high terrain stuff, detail textures. I will get between 15 and 30 fps on the ground at an airport like KLGA (10-20 at KJFK). In the air, as long as I don't look directly at the horizon in VC...I can get between 45 and 70 fps (35 avg realistically). Note that this is after tweaks..without tweaks your performance will suffer.

Estimated system value (with a GTX660ti instead of my Quadro): probably around 950-1000 USD. Assume 160(CPU)+120(Mobo)+280(GPU)+70(RAM)+70(cooler)+100(nice case)+70(good PSU)+70(1TB HDD)+20(Disk reader).

RémyG

Post by RémyG »

hi all,

since we're talking about config, I got a question for a long time, maybe someone can answer it:
Here is my PC spec: I7 870 @2.93 Ghz / 8Gb DDR3 / Nv GTX560 Gb / 2X 500Gb on Hard drive (fsx/fs9 on one HD)
My FPS in FS9 are more the 100, but no more than 15 on FSX (with no third part addon installed, fsx virgin)
How is it possible? I tried everything (instal, reinstal, change HD, all possible settings on FSX, FSX.CFG, DX10 with or without) nothing has changed, never more than 20...
does anyone got an idea of what could cause this low FPS?

that would be very appreciate.
Thx the community

Rémy

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

RémyG wrote: does anyone got an idea of what could cause this low FPS?
I assume you have tried tweaking. With uninstall/reinstall, did you eradicate EVERY last FSX remnant (registry, folders, appdata)? The installer is buggy.
More info required--What OS are you using? Windows 7 64 bit is perfect for FSX (IDK about Windows 8). What settings do you run it on? Max settings are unrealistic with the hardware you have. The 870 is a great CPU, I'm sure...but it is quite dated now. The rates you are getting are like what I used to get my old Athlon machine.

RémyG

Post by RémyG »

Thanks for your answer,
Yes i've done the regcleaner, appdata (even reinstal win 7 64), no changes, it can't go higher than 15/20 fps, I was wondering if there was not a secret settings, or something.
I also wanted to ask, what do you think about FSPS - FSX BOOSTER V4, I've heard some bad and good things about it, and you think that Overclocking the cpu could works?
It is a hardware problems (Which i don't think so) or a software problems?

Thx

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

I have made a lot of edits in my FSX.cfg in order to make it play well. If you'd like, I can PM it to you (at least I hope I've kept it, after my last format). Just send me your system specs to be sure.

Spinikker

Post by Spinikker »

TheRedBaron wrote: HDD : Seagate 7200 RPM OEM 1.5TB drive (3Gb/s)--I think it is failing :/
Seagate = its definitely failing :roll: (these are actually the best smilies I have seen officially used in a forum)

FS9 can achieve FSX level graphics to a point with better performance in my opinion. Unfortunately FSX is an outdated platform and FS9 is obviously than even more so. That, I imagine, is a huge limitation to what can actually be designed as new graphic formats come out, I am guessing that is why so many developers are switching FSX only. It is somewhat irritating though since I put in a lot of time and money to an FS9 system and it is reaching the peak of it's possibilities. Oh well, cost of progress.

RémyG

Post by RémyG »

Alexis wrote:I have made a lot of edits in my FSX.cfg in order to make it play well. If you'd like, I can PM it to you (at least I hope I've kept it, after my last format). Just send me your system specs to be sure.
Hi would be very happy if you could send it to me, anything that could help me to get FSX working is welcome. (that doesn't mean that I would not be happy with your A*** running on **9)
Thank you

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

FSX.cfg: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21574664/fsx.CFG
On Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked @3,8GHz, 6GB RAM @1204MHz, HD6870, I was getting 25-45fps above large urban areas, 60fps (locked) in lighter areas, using CaptainSim's B-52. I hope it will improve your performance.

eddm

Post by eddm »

Who of you guys is using a 64bit OS with FS9? I'm thinking about switching to WinXP 64 bit to get some more RAM available, but I'm not sure how much memory I can adress to FS9. I'also don't know if there occur problems with certain payware addons.

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Alexis wrote:FSX.cfg: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21574664/fsx.CFG
On Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked @3,8GHz, 6GB RAM @1204MHz, HD6870, I was getting 25-45fps above large urban areas, 60fps (locked) in lighter areas, using CaptainSim's B-52. I hope it will improve your performance.
I just took a look at it...you know, just something odd: for some reason, I get higher FPS when I set the max trees and buildings for autogen to 6000. LOL IDK why, but it is waaaay better than with like 4000 :D FSX is so silly sometimes :P

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

TheRedBaron wrote:I just took a look at it...you know, just something odd: for some reason, I get higher FPS when I set the max trees and buildings for autogen to 6000. LOL IDK why, but it is waaaay better than with like 4000 :D FSX is so silly sometimes :P
No way... I'll give it a try!

inbetween

Post by inbetween »

This poll makes me wonder why developers say that they will develop for FSX because the market isn't there for FS9... Extrapolate from that poll and i definitely don't see FSX being the majority sim. Personally i don't use FSX not because my system can't run it but the experience i have when using it is nowhere near as good. I'm not interested in the FPS eating little details that gets included which still gives me the same if not worst experience than FS9, the amount of tweaking and adjustments to hardware needed to get FSX even stable is just ridiculous. Then again, to me anything less than 20fps is unacceptable and using FSX will always mean a compromise... Plus.... I'm not a VC flyer. ;)

lingyuan.he

Post by lingyuan.he »

FSX/9? It is a 50-50 question to me, those who want(and able to achieve) graphics, anything shiny or new go to X, while others stay in 9. And, a lot people have both X and 9.
Now FS has ended, those with 9 obviously tend to stay, cause even FSX is an old platform and buggy.
XP10? Might be the future, well, too costly for me.

shaosibin

Post by shaosibin »

There is a large amount of addon Russian airports, they are freeware and their ratings are worth 5! but no FSX version existing.
I have transfered to FSX since after NGX, and now I feel FSX is truely better than FS9.
but I think X-plane is a dark horse...

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

Airbus X Extended edition is coming out soon...

Nixpilot

Post by Nixpilot »

I think prepare3D is the best in terms of graphics and realism, but holy smokes it IS expensive...

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

I dont really understand what prepar3d really is. Is it supposed to be used with FSX or is it a completely standalone simulator? Also does it represent the whole world or just a specific region for a high level scenery? I looked at prepar3d not too long ago but I was confused.

Nixpilot

Post by Nixpilot »

prepare3D is used for real pilot training, as compared to fs9 and fsx who is just a game.

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

So it is full standalone simulator?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Yes

esg

Post by esg »

inbetween wrote:This poll makes me wonder why developers say that they will develop for FSX because the market isn't there for FS9... Extrapolate from that poll and i definitely don't see FSX being the majority sim. Personally i don't use FSX not because my system can't run it but the experience i have when using it is nowhere near as good. I'm not interested in the FPS eating little details that gets included which still gives me the same if not worst experience than FS9, the amount of tweaking and adjustments to hardware needed to get FSX even stable is just ridiculous. Then again, to me anything less than 20fps is unacceptable and using FSX will always mean a compromise... Plus.... I'm not a VC flyer. ;)
Bear in mind that this poll is only indicative of---a subset of---our user base. We've not really properly delved into FSX yet and we've not made nearly as many things for FSX as we have for FS9, so this might explain why the poll is slightly lopsided in favour of FS9.

emshomar

Post by emshomar »

I have them both installed, but I do more use FS9! I have a XMG A522 with Intel Core i7-3840QM 2,80-3,80GHz and a GTX 660M with 2GB GDDR5.

I tested them with FlyTampa Dubai Rebooted and Standart Cessna 172.
FS9: Locked at 60FPS
FSX: 15-20FPS

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

That's weird. I dont lock my FPS and I have 80% World of AI traffic in Fly Tampa Dubai Rebooted in FSX and I get around 20-40 FPS with the Cessna 172. And my system is weaker than yours:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6Ghz
GTX 560
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
Sandisk 128GB SSD
Windows 7 x86 Ultimate SP1

BTW the forum has gotten really quiet. How is work going on with the A330? Its been a long time since we had an update.

emshomar

Post by emshomar »

That's because I have a leptop! Leptops are known to produce less performance than desktops.

Kyle Schurb

Post by Kyle Schurb »

PIlotwings 64 is my simulator of choice.
emshomar wrote:That's because I have a leptop! Leptops are known to produce less performance than desktops.
:laugh: :@ :@ :@ :laugh:

Propilot23k

Post by Propilot23k »

i thought it was X-wing vs Tie Fighter?

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

FSX the best.

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

Airbus Fan wrote:FSX the best.
Same here. Once you go X, you never go back ;)

BTW, please, anyone at Project Airbus, can we please get some news on the A330? A small update perhaps? Every time I visit these forums its kind of lonesome.

Atomic_13

Post by Atomic_13 »

Switched to FS9 since it is way less laggy than FSX :/

airbusler

Post by airbusler »

I only use FS 9 too, because it runs stable

Ales.KL

Post by Ales.KL »

FS2004 - Stable, no problem, ;)