Moving on, part 5

esg

Re: Moving on, part 5

Post by esg »

Are frames really an issue on a 5+ yo game engine?

Steve

Post by Steve »

Brett-Hill wrote:Yes... it is a shame that there will be no FSX Native model for the better FPS and it is a shame there arn't any decent sound sets available for it... but after looking at your Cabin Previews and wingview previews and videos... I DONT CARE!!! The work you guys have put into this, is truely staggering for freeware and I wish you guys good luck with the final stages up to the release date :)
I run both fs9 and fsx and it runs well in both. :)

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

Hi, im new here. Just wanted to say after watching the youtube videos of your new creation i am absolutely stunned and i think this easily out does all the payware models. Congratulations on all your work so far!

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

Movieman162 wrote:Hi, im new here. Just wanted to say after watching the youtube videos of your new creation i am absolutely stunned and i think this easily out does all the payware models. Congratulations on all your work so far!
Welcome Movieman162. Isn't it great that a dedicated team can make a freeware model that breaks new grounds above payware? Astonishing work by a devoted team indeed.
And what Audi has done with LED technology in cars, Airbus has done with aircraft. Pioneers are needed to break the barriers and bring technology to new levels. And PAirbus is one of those pioneers. :D

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

sknepper wrote:
Movieman162 wrote:Hi, im new here. Just wanted to say after watching the youtube videos of your new creation i am absolutely stunned and i think this easily out does all the payware models. Congratulations on all your work so far!
Welcome Movieman162. Isn't it great that a dedicated team can make a freeware model that breaks new grounds above payware? Astonishing work by a devoted team indeed.
And what Audi has done with LED technology in cars, Airbus has done with aircraft. Pioneers are needed to break the barriers and bring technology to new levels. And PAirbus is one of those pioneers. :D
I totally agree with you, thanks for the welcome.

Rui Cristina

Post by Rui Cristina »

hello again ! I had to register, just to say Welcome, and to give you some support on your decision to keep going!
I've been a part of FS for so many years, and know exactly how you guys feel..started with Project Freeware, good ol' PF, ;)
did textures for Dreamfleets 727, some other repaints available on the usual FS websites, and joined AFG , having done textures for our magnificent ( if I may say so ;) )Caravelle, sadly, and due to the reasons we all know, it took us 4 years to release...oh well...theres very little I can do here, just wanted to say your models are superb, very well done, super detailed, and you guys keep the spirit of Freeware alive, so THANK YOU just for that !
And keep going, let your true dreams guide through, and aim higher, always higher.This A380 is the perfect example of that !
God bless PA !;)
rui cristina
(portugal)

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

Many thanks Rui, I do vaguely recall you were around a few years ago. Your encouragement is much appreciated as are everone else's here.

Finally, i think the time has come where we should rather make it clear on the progress of the model. The A380 exterior model development is more or less frozen now and will not be modified extensively any further. Any developments or improvements MAY be released later but as of now it's been frozen.

Work now concentrates on textures and the VC. Alexis will be in a better position to explain the exact status of the VC and i'l leave it to him to post. Beta testing continues for now.

Rui Cristina

Post by Rui Cristina »

thank you ;)
asfor the A380 explanation, believe me, been there, donethat, how well do I understand your words ;)
keep going fellas, follow the dream;)
rui

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

Good to hear A380 is nearing the finish line (unless doing the VC will take some time? dont rush!). If you want any reskin ideas ive got tonnes!

Rui Cristina

Post by Rui Cristina »

I have some Airbus A380 DVDS I got from a gentleman there, at Airbus.
nothing new, though, not sure these could help anyway...mainly the plane flying, take off, landing, construction...
but you fellas have already done an excellent job, the model is like the real thing !;)
Absolutely stunning work !!!!!!

flightsimer

Post by flightsimer »

Tranceaddict wrote:Many thanks Rui, I do vaguely recall you were around a few years ago. Your encouragement is much appreciated as are everone else's here.

Finally, i think the time has come where we should rather make it clear on the progress of the model. The A380 exterior model development is more or less frozen now and will not be modified extensively any further. Any developments or improvements MAY be released later but as of now it's been frozen.

Work now concentrates on textures and the VC. Alexis will be in a better position to explain the exact status of the VC and i'l leave it to him to post. Beta testing continues for now.
just curious, but since you say that the exterior is done, will you be releasing the version without the VC first or are you releasing them all together?

just curious, ive waited the past year and a half, so i can wait longer for the vc to be done which ever you answer

Tom Collins

Post by Tom Collins »

flightsimer wrote: just curious, but since you say that the exterior is done, will you be releasing the version without the VC first or are you releasing them all together?

just curious, ive waited the past year and a half, so i can wait longer for the vc to be done which ever you answer
Please read the first post in this thread.

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

So the no VC/wingeview version will be released shortley?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Movieman162 wrote:So the no VC/wingeview version will be released shortley?
before ? yes. Shortley? Who said so?

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

They said that the exterior model was finished and that they are working on the VC now?

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Movieman162 wrote:They said that the exterior model was finished and that they are working on the VC now?
The exterior model and cabin are frozen and finished. We're only working on tweaks to make it feel and react better. The VC is the next step forward, and we don't have to work on it from scratch (luckily).

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

Ah right, well best of luck. Sounds like its going to be great when finished!

marf

Post by marf »

I don't know whether it has been mentioned beforde, but will the VC work in FSX as well?

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

marf wrote:I don't know whether it has been mentioned beforde, but will the VC work in FSX as well?
It should work OK, in the lines of POSky's 777.

marf

Post by marf »

Thanks for the reply, although I don't know, how POSky's T7 works in FSX. Currently I'm using FS9 but I am considering a change to FSX. But the PA A380 plays a big part in these thoughts, that's why I asked...

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

POSky's 777 works good in FSX. Now they're providing FSX-ready packages all over the web. FSX is really heavy on FPS though. Be sure to configure it well. It took me one year and lots of $ to get it running OK.

marf

Post by marf »

What did you spend the money for? Things like UTX, REX and so on?

Are there any suggestions, tips or guidelines on the web how to configure FSX right?

Sorry for being off topic :oops:

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

marf wrote:What did you spend the money for? Things like UTX, REX and so on?

Are there any suggestions, tips or guidelines on the web how to configure FSX right?

Sorry for being off topic :oops:
Hi, you can begin with installing both Service packs....

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

frankly i dont think im ever going FSX.

The money and effort spent today can easily get you a great performance in fS9 and the choices available are just fantastic. the tradeoff for FSX in terms of everything you need to pump into getting it to perform, including cash/effort/hardware/software... its just not worth it. besides there's no logical point for me to develop for fsx anymore given that theres no progession beyond fsx frm MS anyway. it's the end. i dun even wanna bother with FSX with my FS9 performing great!

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Tranceaddict wrote:frankly i dont think im ever going FSX.

The money and effort spent today can easily get you a great performance in fS9 and the choices available are just fantastic. the tradeoff for FSX in terms of everything you need to pump into getting it to perform, including cash/effort/hardware/software... its just not worth it. besides there's no logical point for me to develop for fsx anymore given that theres no progession beyond fsx frm MS anyway. it's the end. i dun even wanna bother with FSX with my FS9 performing great!
^^What he said. It's worth the slight graphical improvement, nothing more. You can find a lot of tweak guides for FSX, starting with FSX.cfg, and the Service Packs. In the end, even with a high end PC you can run it respectably, but once the add-ons start piling up, you'll remember what the old 133MHz Pentium felt like when you first installed FS2000. With the money you's spend on a new rig you can get most of the new features (Active Camera, Ultimate Terrain, a few add-on aircraft and sceneries) and save another $1500 for drinks.

PS: DT, get the quick reply button back please!

marf

Post by marf »

I agree with you. But doesn't FSX give you much more room or possibilities in creating add-ons (polygons etc.)?

I have FS9 and it is running very good on my machine. There are too many add-ons (mostly freeware) I would miss in FSX. The only reason that makes me think about a change (or at least running both sims) is the fact, that major (payware) developers such as Aerosoft and PMDG are switching to FSX completely. And they have many products in the tube, that I would love to fly with... That's why I'm considering FSX...

I think the future of FS9 is linked to the question whether the majority of freeware developers will also decide to make a change towards FSX. 2010 will show...

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Keeping it off-topic: FSX gives you unlimited freedom regarding the end result. The problem is that this comes with a very complex SDK (this can be learnt however) and a very high performance cost. FSX is now 3,5 years from its release and it is still not the main platform for freeware devs and simmers. The reason? PCs can't run it in a satisfactory manner. FS9 had a much smaller performance impact on its generation, considering it took about 6-8 months to make the full switch. Regarding the add-ons, if you make a search on avsim today, you'll find add-ons of the quantity and quality that came out one year after FS9's release (analogically speaking). Finally, considering FSX's performance problems:
-Much better graphics: not much -a new shader for the a/c textures (bump maps and light bloom), a new water shader (reflections), more autogen and improved LOD programming (fact, but badly done)
-Flight dynamics: essentially the same since FS2k2 = CPU killer
-Animations: Skinned animations look great but shouldn't kill the FPS like they do
-Textures: went from 1024 to 4096. That's 16x the surface. If a 2048MB GPU can't handle it, there's something wrong with their algorithms

To put that into perspective, Rise of Flight maxed out @1920x1200 gives me an average of 55fps, while FSX gives me 35 in light conditions @1650x1080 and details set to med-high. The autogen fades at about the same distance, and Iapart from that I'll let you guess which one plays better (RoF's FD is a lot more complicated than FSX's, might be a tad better than X-Plane).

Anyway, a switch is a matter of personal taste, we'll do our best to keep both sides happy! :P

esg

Post by esg »

There's one important reason we don't do things for FSX and that's that there is no backward compatibility. FS9 models work in both FS9 and FSX; FSX models only work in FSX

marf

Post by marf »

That's understandable. It's like I said: I love FS9 and I am completely satisfied with it. The only thing that keeps me thinking about FSX are those upcoming projects...

But as you wrote, the financial aspect must not be forgotten. I would have to spend app. 170€ to get the basic add-ons (like REX, UT, GE...) for FSX. And I don't like to think about additional costs for the needed hardware... ;)

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

Personally i think when you get fsx on a powerfull system (alike mine) it can be really good. I dont think fsx will ever outdate FS2004 because they are two versions of the same simulator, one less demanding. Unless a new simulator came out with fsx qualities and FS2004 i dont think either well ever just "fade away. Im currently getting my system stepped up even which means i should get full settings and hopefully 50-90FPS WITH addons. But its all personal choice.

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

marf wrote:That's understandable. It's like I said: I love FS9 and I am completely satisfied with it. The only thing that keeps me thinking about FSX are those upcoming projects...

But as you wrote, the financial aspect must not be forgotten. I would have to spend app. 170€ to get the basic add-ons (like REX, UT, GE...) for FSX. And I don't like to think about additional costs for the needed hardware... ;)

dont worry about upcoming projects so much... without being quoted in the wrong manner on what other developers are doing.. i'm pretty sure there will be FS9 versions of products that are planned for FSX only. FS9 still does account for a decent amount of $ for payware developers and at the end of the day.. it's not likely they're wanna let it go untapped

groundwolf

Post by groundwolf »

FS9 still does account for a decent amount of $ for payware developers and at the end of the day.. it's not likely they're wanna let it go untapped

Developers are now moving towards FSX products more because of the downturn in money out there for FS9, a survey done by PMDG themselves states this fact, FS9 is indeed fading away and with all the new tech avaiable now for FSX by developers, FSX will probably become a hybrid FS11. I run FSx and have not used FS9 I have a moderate machine by todays standards and get fantastic performance!! ppl say its a killer when actually.... it isnt. As with everything everyone eventually moves on im so sick of ppl putting FSX down especially when I hear about performance issues, like I said I have a moderate machine nowhere near high end and i get fantastic performance, im not saying FS9 is crap but Im saying give FSX a go she might just surprise you with abit of fine tuning ;)

cheers

remember this is my opinion but its a very well researched opinion ;)

P.S.I don't mind developers making aircraft for FS9 and making them compatible for FSX if it works why not I reckon, that way we all get to benefit from the amazing developments being done :D
I also understand the FS9 ppl who have spent their dollars making their sim fantastic, I have no problem with that either , Im doing the same with FSX ;)

Atomic_13

Post by Atomic_13 »

Movieman162 wrote:Personally i think when you get fsx on a powerfull system (alike mine) it can be really good. I dont think fsx will ever outdate FS2004 because they are two versions of the same simulator, one less demanding. Unless a new simulator came out with fsx qualities and FS2004 i dont think either well ever just "fade away. Im currently getting my system stepped up even which means i should get full settings and hopefully 50-90FPS WITH addons. But its all personal choice.
Not everyone can get a 'powerfull' system like yours

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

groundwolf wrote: FS9 still does account for a decent amount of $ for payware developers and at the end of the day.. it's not likely they're wanna let it go untapped

Developers are now moving towards FSX products more because of the downturn in money out there for FS9, a survey done by PMDG themselves states this fact, FS9 is indeed fading away and with all the new tech avaiable now for FSX by developers, FSX will probably become a hybrid FS11. I run FSx and have not used FS9 I have a moderate machine by todays standards and get fantastic performance!! ppl say its a killer when actually.... it isnt. As with everything everyone eventually moves on im so sick of ppl putting FSX down especially when I hear about performance issues, like I said I have a moderate machine nowhere near high end and i get fantastic performance, im not saying FS9 is crap but Im saying give FSX a go she might just surprise you with abit of fine tuning ;)

cheers

remember this is my opinion but its a very well researched opinion ;)

P.S.I don't mind developers making aircraft for FS9 and making them compatible for FSX if it works why not I reckon, that way we all get to benefit from the amazing developments being done :D
I also understand the FS9 ppl who have spent their dollars making their sim fantastic, I have no problem with that either , Im doing the same with FSX ;)
im just happy with fs9.. so it really doesnt matter for me atleast :)

anyways... no more O/T posts please :)

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Tranceaddict wrote:Guys.. keep the OT's ... OT ;)
haha, looks like it happens a lot of time in a very long thread. This is the second time, I believe. :?

groundwolf

Post by groundwolf »

LOL it always happens, the age old battle now FS9 vs FSX but i think its due in part people are getting wrestless in waiting for this big beauty to arrive, patience people, she will arrive when she arrives, it is looking brilliant though love the dedication of PA to this aircraft its awe inspiring.

Atomic_13

Post by Atomic_13 »

Why can't everyone just be happy with what kind of flight sim they got? They should be lucky that they have a computer that can run it without problem. :evil:

NoseGear

Post by NoseGear »

Atomic_13 wrote:Why can't everyone just be happy with what kind of flight sim they got? They should be lucky that they have a computer that can run it without problem. :evil:
I am one of the unlucky ones then?
My FS9 only runs at 25fps MAX. When you add aircraft and scenery its around 10-15FPS.

1.8ghz AMD 1800+, 512mb, Intergrated graphics! :D
What a corker of a system!

You have a point though, I still enjoy
my sim even with the occasional stutter.

marf

Post by marf »

Tranceaddict wrote: Alexis will be in a better position to explain the exact status of the VC and i'l leave it to him to post. Beta testing continues for now.
Well, let's give him a chance ;) Alexis, how is the status of the VC? Any chance that we might see some previews soon?

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

Alexis is currently away, i think he's either doin 1 of the 2 :

1) studying for his exams/giving his exams
2) touring some beach in europe offering his suntan lotion services to all the pretty damsels in distress :lol:

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Tranceaddict wrote:Alexis is currently away, i think he's either doin 1 of the 2 :

1) studying for his exams/giving his exams
2) touring some beach in europe offering his suntan lotion services to all the pretty damsels in distress :lol:
I'm doing a combination of both. Studying while at the same time offering my knowledge to ladies in distress ;) .
No work on the VC for the past few days guys, and none will be done until I'm done with the exams. It is much more advanced than the last preview we showed, though. :mrgreen: Back to the books!

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Thanks for the update and good luck ;)

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

Alexis wrote:It is much more advanced than the last preview we showed, though.
Sounds great!

deccas1391

Post by deccas1391 »

Thanks for the update. Good luck with your exams Alexis!

marf

Post by marf »

Alexis wrote: No work on the VC for the past few days guys, and none will be done until I'm done with the exams. It is much more advanced than the last preview we showed, though. :mrgreen: Back to the books!
Alright, thanks for the update. Good luck for you!

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

Alexis wrote:I'm doing a combination of both. Studying while at the same time offering my knowledge to ladies in distress ;) .
No work on the VC for the past few days guys, and none will be done until I'm done with the exams. It is much more advanced than the last preview we showed, though. :mrgreen: Back to the books!
Good luck with all your study there Alexis. I'm sure you'll do well because if your work is anything to go by, your a genius in the making. :D :D

marf

Post by marf »

Some pics of the LH A380 in full livery: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotos ... 51510.html

Might help for your paint ;) Painting the real one was finished today at Airbus plant Hamburg Finkenwerder. So she will probably leave the paint hangar this weekend...
I like those painted wings!

ThrottleUp

Post by ThrottleUp »

Wonderful news. Your visual modelling skills are truly excellent and I have no doubt this A380 is going to be a freeware gem. I feel we have two freeware expert groups for each of the "big ones". Airbus dealt with by Project Airbus while the Boeings are dealt with by POSKY.

Thanks for all your hard work! 8-)

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

marf wrote:Some pics of the LH A380 in full livery: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotos ... 51510.html

Might help for your paint ;) Painting the real one was finished today at Airbus plant Hamburg Finkenwerder. So she will probably leave the paint hangar this weekend...
I like those painted wings!
Wow i didnt know that LH was getting an A380 that soon, does anyone know when VA are getting one? I seriously want to be on the first flight! Imagine the interior!