FS programming - XML

GaryG

FS programming - XML

Post by GaryG »

Hi all,

Yesterday thought of an idea in order to "promote" programming in our community. As some of you might know, I do XML and even though sometimes it can get boring or drives you crazy, the result after programming can be quite rewarding. So what's my idea?

Well, what I thought of was to do sort of a weekly challenge for those who have absolutely no experience yet they wish give this kind of programming a try. I will provide help during the week for the challenge that I pose as well as links to some useful sites that made me relatively fluent in the language.

Obviously, your interest is important to drive this idea and indeed that is why I posted today in order to give people the chance to see the post till next week.

If there is enough interest, I will pose an easy challenge next monday for the whole week and I'll give help to all those who'll show interest.

Programming will be done in FS9, however, FSX accepts that format and there are indeed good tutorials around.

Those who are interested, please do post below.

Thanks for reading this and hope we'll see many of you.

Regards

AirNewZealand_A320

Re: FS programming - XML

Post by AirNewZealand_A320 »

Im interested to learn, whether i have the time is a different thing.

Ghostmaster

Post by Ghostmaster »

Quite intersting.. Maybe i can try?

bang_amin

Post by bang_amin »

Sign me in as your first student, Gary... For 2 years i have read the FS2X.com's tutorials, and no gauge that i've made working... Really want to understand how to.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

This is so awesome, yes, anybody can try. Hope that more will join us.

Regards

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

I know this is little off topic but I know C#, can it be used for anything in FS ?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

A321flyer wrote:I know this is little off topic but I know C#, can it be used for anything in FS ?
Yes, however, I'm sure it can be used for fsx with simconnect. Not sure about fs9 though.

inbetween

Post by inbetween »

I'd be very interested in this too.

Goozer

Post by Goozer »

I would be very intested in this, but I've never programmed with XML. Is this something that can be done starting from scratch?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

I'll try to cater for everyone. As long as there is enthusiasm, anything is possible.

regards

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hello people, first of all, thanks for joining this, it shows that people want to contribute, in a way or another. Secondly, I was thinking of starting from a very simple gauge. It will be showing the engine RPM. For this, you need to do 2 bmps. One will be the needle and the other will be the background. Some things I recommend are:

1) Get microsoft visual C++ 2010 express edition ! This is a good start, you can edit XML in it and will prove to be useful later on.
2) Visit the following sites:

www.fs2x.com - very useful. I got my basics covered from there. See the tutorials section and the sample gauges. Those were done by people like you !
www.fsdeveloper.com - Pretty much about every developing field in fs.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526953.aspx - This is targeted for fsx but it still is useful since it explains some major XML properties.

That is all for now. Will give you some time to officially begin the Engine RPM gauge.

Regards

AirNewZealand_A320

I dont know about others but im having trouble with finding where to start even with the links.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Just a note: Those links were given in order to familiarise a bit yourself with XML, for now, don't worry about the gauge.

regards

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hi guys, I know that I will sound ridiculous about this but please - Bare with me. I got instantly busy and just can't keep with the gauges and this at the same time. I promise though, will return as soon as I have some time. If you are really interested and want to learn, follow the tutorials on the given site and I will surely be able to help anything you won't understand. Problem is that I can't organise this at the moment.

Sorry people. Regards,

Gary

AirNewZealand_A320

take your time :)