Jetheat/Shimmer

anels9

Jetheat/Shimmer

Post by anels9 »

Now I know FS has It's limits but why is there no realistic jet heat for aircraft even for the new ms flight. Yes I admit the best effect I've seen is from Pairbuses A320 series, but is there any way to create a realistic looking effect. Few links to photos incase people don't understand.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Virgin-B ... c4b84af0fc
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Garuda-I ... a68ce3590b

Morhaf

Re: Jetheat/Shimmer

Post by Morhaf »

like esg said:
esg wrote:Never gonna get them to look anywhere near realistic I think
But I wanna try anyway, some day, since I have some experience with fluid effects.. Maybe we could even sell the effect with bumpmapping :?:

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

Real jet heat shimmer is caused by a phenomenon known as refraction, which is basically the distortion of light as it passes through an object (in this case, air at radically different temperatures). As far as I know, the FS visual engine can't simulate refraction, so a true shimmer simulation will never be possible.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

What Derek said is right. Light refracts since hot air is less dense than cold air and that's what happens to light when it passes between objects of different refractive indexes.

Surely, fs, till now, has not come thus far

Xpand

Post by Xpand »

Well, the closest thing is making some sort of effect that blurs the environment... Maybe, if we play a bit with transparency effects we can get somewhere... Gotta try that when I have the time.... :mrgreen:

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

Xpand wrote:Well, the closest thing is making some sort of effect that blurs the environment... Maybe, if we play a bit with transparency effects we can get somewhere... Gotta try that when I have the time.... :mrgreen:
I'm with you! we could make a particle system with maybe even different shaped particles with bump maps on it, and gradient transparency (probably with scripting so its only visible if you look at it from a sertain angle)

maybe we could even sculp the fluids (static object) and put on a material with animated bumps and transparency so it looks like the fluid is moving.

there are tons of ways to do it, but its just about trying every one of em to see which one works