MS Flight Open Souce?

Brett-Hill

MS Flight Open Souce?

Post by Brett-Hill »

Will the new MS Flight be open souce for people to create Repaints, modify flying charachteristics , make and upload freeware aircraft to avsim/flightsim and NOT the live marketplace where it would have to be paid for etc... What do you reckon and what would you prefer to see in the way of aircraft/scenary development in the new Flight?
links:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight

xparamorex316

Re: MS Flight Open Souce?

Post by xparamorex316 »

Microsoft sold the Flight Simulator brand to Lockheed Martin, (reason behind ACES Studios closing). So as a result they no longer own the technology behind the older versions of FS forcing them to make FS into a game type simulator, its supposed to be a type of subscription game and you fly online on their servers with the rest of the world. Its going to be nothing like the other versions of FS, this is going to be something for people who just want to press ctrl e and fly from paris to tokyo in 5 minutes lol. I personally am switching to XPlane....

esg

Post by esg »

I don't know how much truth there is to that

Brett-Hill

Post by Brett-Hill »

I never knew about that lockheed martin thing

xparamorex316

Post by xparamorex316 »

there is truth to it. I'll post the link about it

xparamorex316

Post by xparamorex316 »

heres a little snippet i found.

Lockheed Martin Prepar3D
In 2009, Lockheed Martin announced that they had negotiated with Microsoft to purchase the Intellectual Property (including source code) for the Microsoft ESP product. Microsoft ESP was the commercial-use version of Flight Simulator X SP2. On May 17, 2010,[12] Lockheed announced that the new product based upon the ESP source code would be called "Prepar3D" (pronounced "Prepared"). Lockheed has hired some members of the original ACES studio to continue development of the product. Version 1.1 was released in April 2011, with a retail licence of $499.[13]

Steve

Post by Steve »

If this is all true, guess it's time to leave the flightsim world. :roll:

esg

Post by esg »

The way I understand is they've only sold the ESP specific technology. Flight is quite obviously based on the FSX engine

Brett-Hill

Post by Brett-Hill »

xparamorex316 wrote:heres a little snippet i found.

Lockheed Martin Prepar3D
In 2009, Lockheed Martin announced that they had negotiated with Microsoft to purchase the Intellectual Property (including source code) for the Microsoft ESP product. Microsoft ESP was the commercial-use version of Flight Simulator X SP2. On May 17, 2010,[12] Lockheed announced that the new product based upon the ESP source code would be called "Prepar3D" (pronounced "Prepared"). Lockheed has hired some members of the original ACES studio to continue development of the product. Version 1.1 was released in April 2011, with a retail licence of $499.[13]

ok thats all confusing me :S

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

Steve wrote:If this is all true, guess it's time to leave the flightsim world. :roll:
Why? Just because MS Flight may not be open source, does not mean anything really, I will continue to fly the Level-D 767 in FS9, and nothing will change really ;)

Brett-Hill

Post by Brett-Hill »

the possibilities of developing scenary/aircraft will change and therefore change the addons which will be provided...

esg

Post by esg »

MSFS has never been open source; it's just got a development framework—and I doubt that'll be going away

Brett-Hill

Post by Brett-Hill »

esg wrote:MSFS has never been open source; it's just got a development framework—and I doubt that'll be going away
I can only hope your right for the sake of aircraft developers like project airbus and carenado etc