Fly Away Simulations is selling freeware products!

Daniel_csr

Fly Away Simulations is selling freeware products!

Post by Daniel_csr »

As the topic says, Fly Away Simulations is selling freeware products!
So I started something you all might know from SOPA, PIPA and ACTA:

Anyone who's willing to join, contact me! SFAS homepage will be online soon!

Flightsimmer

Re: Fly Away Simulations is selling freeware products!

Post by Flightsimmer »

im interested..

esg

Post by esg »

So what's the action plan?

Daniel_csr

Post by Daniel_csr »

esg wrote:So what's the action plan?
I checked their homepage, they charge indirectly for downloads. All you pay is the server. Most files hosted on Fly Away are linked to flightsim.com -> so I don't upload anything to flightsim.com anymore.
I checked some of the texture files, most do not contain a special readme which says explicit that you're not allowed to link or host it.
2 textures I created are up there, too. Including my old readme, which indirectly allows them to host them without asking.
I created a new readme/install.txt saying that it's not allowed to upload, link or host my files without my permission.

Asked a lawyer about this topic ... very difficult to explain. What they are doing is both, legal and illegal.

Step 1: Check your readme files (if there's no upload or link prohibition included, they are allowed to do it)
Step 2: E-mail Fly Away -> Please remove our files! If they don't do it, mail again!

That's all you can do ...

It's tricky ... kind of a "grey zone" in law ...

esg

Post by esg »

What do you mean 'linked to'? They don't link directly to files on flightsim.com, surely?

Flightsimmer

Post by Flightsimmer »

I usually specify in my readme that any uploads to anywhere, especially FSplanet and Flyaway, are strictly prohibited. yeah and the retards hosting the site are simply ignoring it. guess it cant be helped......