X-Plane being sued

TheRedBaron

Re: X-Plane being sued

Post by TheRedBaron »

Blasted patent trolls...I hate it when people do stuff like this. Apple, Unilock, whoever. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if Airbus had patented FBW, or Boeing had patented the widebody fuselage shape/business model. Whoever approves basic patents for things like "rounded corners" was clearly never an engineer. Or creator of anything.

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

TheRedBaron wrote:Blasted patent trolls...I hate it when people do stuff like this. Apple, Unilock, whoever. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if Airbus had patented FBW, or Boeing had patented the widebody fuselage shape/business model. Whoever approves basic patents for things like "rounded corners" was clearly never an engineer. Or creator of anything.
I agree with you, but I'm currently with my legs on different sides of the river. E-patents will serve me well for what I have in mind, but it is antideontological to exclude people from having the same idea as you.

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Exactly! I am fine with people patenting extremely specific ideas that are not at a basic level (for example, the specific design/manufacturing of a specific type of object with a specific job would be acceptable). My problem is with people who patent rather generic/broad ideas and then sue. If you really really want to patent an idea that happens to be broad but unpatented, fine--just don't go suing people for using slide-to unlock systems with touchscreens, or for having minimalist store designs.

esg

Post by esg »

I disagree. Patents (of any kind) assist in fostering an egocentric economic system--and, by extension, an egocentric society.

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

esg wrote:I disagree. Patents (of any kind) assist in fostering an egocentric economic system--and, by extension, an egocentric society.
I can see that too...IDK. I feel like I would be rather miffed if someone came along and took an idea I had and passed it off as his own-I think the original purpose of the patent was not so much to prevent others from making something or to extract royalties as it was to assign someone credit for an invention, the same way one is supposed to provide credit when citing in a paper. That is what I think patents should be.

esg

Post by esg »

Fair enough, but I think you're incorrect in saying that that was the original purpose of the patent.

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

esg wrote:Fair enough, but I think you're incorrect in saying that that was the original purpose of the patent.
Very probable. I think that was more of me saying what I think patents should be, rather than what they are. Theoretically, one could take out a patent and simply not litigate, essentially accomplishing what I am talking about.