A380 fact thread

GaryG

A380 fact thread

Post by GaryG »

Well I thought it would be nice to do a thread that gives out some facts about the 380

Examples would be like, how long did the project take for PA to complete, Members working on what, total amount of polygons, etc....

esg

Re: A380 fact thread

Post by esg »

started August/Sept 2008 (Derek gonna have to correct me), ~59700 polys

seaheroz

Post by seaheroz »

esg wrote:started August/Sept 2008 (Derek gonna have to correct me), ~59700 polys
WOW 2 years soo long,dint expected that will be this long

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Add 42700 for the wingview+cabin model, and another 37907 for the VC only.
I can't number the custom animated parts Derek has made on the exterior model (too many to sit down and count), but I have about 20 of these in the cockpit and cabin. I'm not talking about FS's standard animations (gear up/down and cockpit levers), but detailed ones (wingflex, APU inlets, wipers on the exterior, luggage bins, windshield wipers in the VC e.t.c.).

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

It's to be expected, the PA A380 has been improved considerably since then. The A380 itself hasnt entered active service too far back

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

I have a question...
You mentioned it will have wingflex...
What if someone wants to change the fx file for the lights on the wings (through the aircraft.cfg)?
Is that fx light on the wing gonna be stable while the wing flexes or is there another solution for the light to move with the wing?

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

You won't be able to change the fx file, the effects are hardcoded into the model. However, you will be able to change the look of the lights somewhat by altering the halo.bmp in the main FS texture folder. This might affect other FS lights too, including those at airports.

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

Thnx for the answer..
Yeah... I know about the halo.bmp... I was planning to change the strobe fx to be a little more realistic. Anyway I shall try when the A380 will be released.. :D

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

The model is almost 5 years old actually. I first started work on it in late November, early December of 2005. But it was just a shell until early September 2008, when I started mapping and animating.

I'll do my best compiling some info below. These numbers are only for the exterior models, are unrounded, and apply to both engine variants.

59244 triangles, 36654 vertices.
481 total objects, 233 of which are keyframed in some way. I haven't counted un-keyframed animations, but there's probably 30 of those or so.
If we discount objects linked to animated parts, only 37 objects are truly static.
The longest animation is the wingflex, spanning 230 frames.
51 custom XML part entries.
1 ASM hack.

17 total textures (9 diffuse and 8 light maps).

Of course, these figures are changing all the time as work progresses. I'll do my best to answer any other questions should people have any.

UPDATED 04/06/2010

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

Wow! That's allot of hours there Derek and Co. Maybe just as many hours have been put in as in the real-world A380? Wouldn't surprise me :).
Just shows the dedication behind the scenes, and probably many late or sleepless nights working on the smallest of details including the pitot tubes and antenna's. Then all the animation also. Respect.
Then you get the people who want it yesterday. Do they realise what an amount of effort goes into making a virtual aircraft? Don't think so, otherwise they wouldn't rant and rave as they do.
If this is making for boring reading, then move on to te next topic, because I just want to say that I do not take things for granted and the PA team deserves allot of respect for all their free time they put in. And it's freeware also. That says allot for the dedication.
I think I speak for many when I say, "Thanks allot to the PA team for their tremendous effort". :D :D

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

^ Thanks Sean. Though to be fair, we definitely haven't been working on it constantly for 5 years. We've had some pretty long breaks where we've done nothing, with work progressing mostly in spurts. But this is definitely the longest project I've ever worked on, no doubt about that.

I updated the model info above. I've been working on it a lot recently creating custom fan animations. This in turn saved polys, which I invested in other parts to improve some poor smoothing. The fan animations added 8 XML entries (2 per engine), and I added one additional entry for the cargo door animation.

DerKranich

Post by DerKranich »

Derek Mayer wrote:The model is almost 5 years old actually. I first started work on it in late November, early December of 2005. But it was just a shell until early September 2008, when I started mapping and animating.

I'll do my best compiling some info below. These numbers are only for the exterior models, are unrounded, and apply to both engine variants.

59212 triangles, 36638 vertices.
527 total objects, 233 of which are keyframed in some way. I haven't counted un-keyframed animations, but there's probably 30 of those or so.
If we discount objects linked to animated parts, only 83 objects are truly static.
The longest animation is the wingflex, spanning 230 frames.
45 custom XML part entries.
1 ASM hack.

17 total textures (9 diffuse and 8 light maps).

Of course, these figures are changing all the time as work progresses. I'll do my best to answer any other questions should people have any.
Respect. I have nothing else to say.

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

Figures above have been updated again.

lordsniper

Post by lordsniper »

Hi,
since the a380 will be compiled with fs9 sdk, will it have a big incidence on Framerates with fsx ?
I can run the pmdg 747-8i with like 15 fps in dense sceneries and airport, but everytime I download an fs9 airplane adapted for fsx like the Posky 777 my fps suffer (a lot) it drops to 7 fps same thing with wilco 777...pairbus a320 runs very well but since it's a smaller airplane than the 777 or the a380 I cant know for the a380, not talking at all about computer spec i'm familiar in this field, I know the capacity of my laptop and fsx options are optimized for it "normal airplanes" work very good with it.

Oh, and please could we have some of the spec and the features of the VC in the second no wingview model, if you can ?

thanks

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

Our A380 doesn't perform as well as our previous releases, so I wouldn't expect any miracles in FSX.

We kept the texture count low, so it shouldn't take much of a graphics card to run it. But you will need a bit more processing power due to the number of parts on it; 4 engines, 22 wheels, model at the FS9 poly limit, XML animations, etc. But I don't have FSX so I can't tell you for sure how it will perform.

lordsniper

Post by lordsniper »

Thanks Derek,
I think it is gonna suffer for my Fps rate (core2duo 2.38 ghz...) but nothing will stop me from flying this airplane, not even a 5fps score. ;)

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

Is that a Greek flag on the A320 PA paint on your signature????? :shock:

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

lordsniper wrote: Oh, and please could we have some of the spec and the features of the VC in the second no wingview model, if you can ?
thanks
-Backlit gauges and panels
-Animated controls (sticks, pedals, thrust levers)
-Independent windshield wipers for each window, working at LOW/MED/HIGH speeds. No "Intermittent wipe" modes.
-Animated pilot keyboards/tray-tables (2)
-Animated armrests (6), deployable jumpseats (2)
-Animated window shades in the front windows (2)
-Coffee cups that appear above 10000ft (I had to add something strange)
-Basic switches all functional (Lights, AP, de-ice, engine starters etc)
-Many non-functional switches in the VC will be mappable in case someone wants to make an FMC or a new panel from scratch.

37907 triangles, texture number still being determined as work progresses.

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

The best caffeteria in the world!!! :D

lordsniper

Post by lordsniper »

Alexis wrote:
lordsniper wrote: Oh, and please could we have some of the spec and the features of the VC in the second no wingview model, if you can ?
thanks
-Backlit gauges and panels
-Animated controls (sticks, pedals, thrust levers)
-Independent windshield wipers for each window, working at LOW/MED/HIGH speeds. No "Intermittent wipe" modes.
-Animated pilot keyboards/tray-tables (2)
-Animated armrests (6), deployable jumpseats (2)
-Animated window shades in the front windows (2)
-Basic switches all functional (Lights, AP, de-ice, engine starters etc)
-Many non-functional switches in the VC will be mappable in case someone wants to make an FMC or a new panel from scratch.

37907 triangles, texture number still being determined as work progresses.
Great I'm horny now and I still have to wait for the airplane...thanks Alexis :D
the FMC gauge maybe if someone helped pairbusbest it'd possible
dotsalgon wrote:Is that a Greek flag on the A320 PA paint on your signature????? :shock:
since half Pairbus developpers are greek..

esg

Post by esg »

lordsniper wrote: since half Pairbus developpers are greek..
1 out of 5 = half? lol

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

LOL Maybe one Greek counts as 2,5 ? ? ?

lordsniper

Post by lordsniper »

well I'm not gonna change the flag, so live with it :D

Sorry i thought that there was 2 greeks,( maybe 2 are studying in greece or something ?)

cheers

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

No don't change it! I like it!
In fact have you done this repaint?
If you haven't I can try and do it! :D
PM me for that so we don't get off topic ;)

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

dotsalgon wrote:-Coffee cups that appear above 10000ft (I had to add something strange)

The best caffeteria in the world!!! :D
I don't know if it matters, it's 10000ft radar altimeter. You don't enjoy your coffe flying through the Andes at 12000ft. ;) :P
And please guys, don't get off-topic again.

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

You ment on the cockpit??? :shock:
I thought you ment on the passengers trays!
Good!!!!

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

lordsniper wrote: the FMC gauge maybe if someone helped pairbusbest it'd possible
I would need a lot of help in that case :D. I will be positive here, thanks for believing in me.

Regards

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

I am one of those who use the GPS... will there be an option betwen the FMC and the GPS?

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

dotsalgon wrote:I am one of those who use the GPS... will there be an option betwen the FMC and the GPS?
There won't be an FMC implemented in the PA A380, however the respective keys in the virtual cockpit will be mappable -those who make panels, know what I mean. The OITS screens on the side panels of the pilots (left of the captain, right of the FO) will come with Talal Alhaj's map display installed (he has kindly allowed us to use and release it), instead of the traditional GPS. As in all FS aircraft, you can replace one gauge with another, so yes, you can have the GPS if you change your panel.cfg.

dotsalgon

Post by dotsalgon »

Ah yes! Thanks Alex..
That was a stupid question.. If somene changes the panel with one that has the gauge of the GPS, he can use GPS...
I am planning to use the wingview model with a 2D panel.. so no worries! :)

lordsniper

Post by lordsniper »

I want to buy Friendly panel FMC
http://secure.simmarket.com/friendly-pa ... v1.5.phtml

will I be able to implement the gauge in the A380 VC ?

thank you

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

lordsniper wrote:I want to buy Friendly panel FMC

thank you
To be able to do it, the package needs to have one gauge for each button on the FMC -which is usually the case. To add them to the VC buttons, you need to know the coordinate of the corresponding button on the texture bitmap, then copy-paste the gauge name from the FMC window to the VCockpitXX entry, with the proper coordinates.

However, if the FMC is coded in one single entity instead of independent buttons, you'll have to reverse-engineer it and that's something I won't be helping with. The only solution to that problem is to put the entire gauge in place of one of the 380's displays. It'll be drawn on the EICAS monitor and work like a touch screen-the VC buttons won't be usable.

gregc320

Post by gregc320 »

Hi guys any release date on it?? Really looking forward to this!! :D

AirNewZealand_A320

Post by AirNewZealand_A320 »

gregc320 wrote:Hi guys any release date on it?? Really looking forward to this!! :D

Ah... NAH!

fcerven

Post by fcerven »

Alexis wrote:
lordsniper wrote:
I want to buy Friendly panel FMC

thank you

To be able to do it, the package needs to have one gauge for each button on the FMC -which is usually the case. To add them to the VC buttons, you need to know the coordinate of the corresponding button on the texture bitmap, then copy-paste the gauge name from the FMC window to the VCockpitXX entry, with the proper coordinates.

However, if the FMC is coded in one single entity instead of independent buttons, you'll have to reverse-engineer it and that's something I won't be helping with. The only solution to that problem is to put the entire gauge in place of one of the 380's displays. It'll be drawn on the EICAS monitor and work like a touch screen-the VC buttons won't be usable.
Not quite the case for FSX and a simple FMC. I have been experimenting a bit with Garrett Smith's FMC and the FSX A321 VC. After simply replacing the lower engine instrument screen with the FMC, all the FMC functions worked just by clicking it's buttons, etc. It works just like a pop-up but it was imbedded in the panel. I realize it is a rather simplistic FMC but it works and is a step towards realism for those of us that fly using the VC. This could be an intermediate step towards the full blown FMC provided in payware.

If an addressable space could be provided in the VC model near the throttle where one of the fake FMCs is located, then we could add our own. All that would be needed is the coordinates and size of the opening.

I'm not a model programmer so I may be oversimplifying this. If so, just disregard the request.
The A380 looks a great bird as is and I am looking forward to flying it when the FSX VC becomes available. Just trying to make it a bit greater.

FC

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

fcerven wrote: If an addressable space could be provided in the VC model near the throttle where one of the fake FMCs is located, then we could add our own. All that would be needed is the coordinates and size of the opening.

I'm not a model programmer so I may be oversimplifying this. If so, just disregard the request.
The A380 looks a great bird as is and I am looking forward to flying it when the FSX VC becomes available. Just trying to make it a bit greater.

FC
By using this: Image you can make the entire keyboard functional, as long as you know how to make your own gauges, or how to merge an existing FMC (if it is possible). Else, there's not much you can do. I will include the VC layouts in a d/l for those interested in making panels and stuff, but no official help will be given for merges.

BTW, the image above is a temporary map, I still need to add some functions on it and the final layout might change, so there's no point in pre-setting up any gauges until it's final. In any case, this can give you a good idea of the potential functionality in case someone works on making a FMS.
fcerven wrote: Not quite the case for FSX and a simple FMC. I have been experimenting a bit with Garrett Smith's FMC and the FSX A321 VC. After simply replacing the lower engine instrument screen with the FMC, all the FMC functions worked just by clicking it's buttons, etc. It works just like a pop-up but it was imbedded in the panel. I realize it is a rather simplistic FMC but it works and is a step towards realism for those of us that fly using the VC. This could be an intermediate step towards the full blown FMC provided in payware.
If the FMC is like Garett's, then its buttons can't be broken up without modding it, and that requires his permission. In this case, you can assign the FMC to one of the lower ECAM displays, and it will work the same as in the FSX A321.

fcerven

Post by fcerven »

Thanks Alexis for the quick reply.

As suspected, you are way beyond where I am in your thinking about the functionality of the FMC. What you laid out there is what I call a full blown FMC like found on payware. That is much more than I would expect from freeware. All I'm looking for is basic VNAV and speed control and Garrett's Honeywell FMC gives me that in one neat little package. I still like to fly the interesting first 10 miles by hand and the last 20 by hand or autopilot. The routine climb to cruise altitude after the plane is cleaned up, cruise at altitude, and initial descent I let the FMC handle. Also, programming the FMC for only these three flight regimes takes only about 10 minutes. This may not be the most efficient or fully realistic but it meets my basic wants and keeps my flying skills sharp.

So, looks like what I'll end up doing is what you suggest; "assign the FMC to one of the lower ECAM displays". Sounds like there will still be another to monitor aircraft, fuel and engine parameters.

Thanks again and am now looking forward to flying the Project Airbus A380 more than ever.

FC

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

fcerven wrote:Thanks Alexis for the quick reply.
As suspected, you are way beyond where I am in your thinking about the functionality of the FMC. What you laid out there is what I call a full blown FMC like found on payware.
Only laid out. For those who read in a rush, no FMC is implemented, apart from the basic one Ken Mitchell made for his A340 panel.
fcerven wrote: Sounds like there will still be another to monitor aircraft, fuel and engine parameters.
Actually one upper monitor, and three lower ECAM displays. If you assign the FMC to one of these, that makes it 3 total monitors for engine management. Two are used, anyway.