Need advice for new PC System for FSX

eddm

Need advice for new PC System for FSX

Post by eddm »

Hi there,
I'm about to go for a new system, and I think of chosing the AMD FX-6350 (3,9 GhZ) processor, however I heard that Intel ist outperforming AMD processors concerning MS Flightsim. Should I racer take the slower Intel i7 4960X ?

I do not like overclocking, so I'm looking for the fastest "not overclocked", Processor...

Can you help me?

Thanks

Airbus Fan

Re: Need advice for new PC System for FSX

Post by Airbus Fan »

Well, my processor is i5-3350p 3.1GHz, and I'm running FSX at 50-70fps. But with yours I think you'll have much more FPS. In my opinion i7 is better.

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

eddm wrote:I think of chosing the AMD FX-6350 (3,9 GhZ) processor, however I heard that Intel ist outperforming AMD processors concerning MS Flightsim. Should I racer take the slower Intel i7 4960X ?
1. The i7 4960X is NOT slower than any AMD processor on the market. In terms of GHz, AMD and Intel are not equal-AMD processors currently require higher frequencies to deliver comparable performance.
2. The FX6350 is great if you are on a budget (for that matter, the 8350, 8320, 8150, 8120 all are). If you have money to burn, the i7 is probably the way to go. It also depends on what else you use your computer for. I use my 8150-equipped system for FSX as well as serious CAD and simulation work since those benefit from more cores.
3. Settings-what do you expect? If you want max everything with playability, go Intel. If you don't have unrealistic/ super high expectations of FSX, go AMD. Also, GPU can make a difference-I used to be bottlenecked by my old video card.
Airbus Fan wrote:Well, my processor is i5-3350p 3.1GHz, and I'm running FSX at 50-70fps. But with yours I think you'll have much more FPS. In my opinion i7 is better.
What settings do you use? They can't be particularly high...(I fly with nearly max scenery, weather, 50% cars, boats, 60%AI IFR traffic). I tend to hit a wall of around 70 in the air and 25 on the ground (min is around 15 on the ground/on approach).

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

My scenery is almost high( very dense), water is 2xlow( I don't like that cloud effect on the water). I'm using around 20% cars, weather is on high.

On more complex scenery, I get 35-40fps. But I think it's enough for smooth gameplay, isn't it?

777beats340

Post by 777beats340 »

Plain and Simple: There still has been no CPU on the consumer market that can run FSX SP2 with everything maxed out and running plenty of addons. I believe during development of FSX, the studio used 256 Processors to max out FSX. If your are running Prepard3d, thats a different story. They patched alot of FSX to be thoroughly optimized and run decent on even the lowest systems.

As of this post, if you want to go the max currently possible, I would get the Intel 4960X. That is a hexacore monster and costs $1200. It will demolish almost every other game out there, BF4 included, but theres always room for improvement in FSX. Amd has nothing close to this processor in terms of both cost and performance.

My recommendation to you is the following:
Get yourself into a 4770K and setup with a good feature rich MB, 8+ GB of Ram, a SSD, a HDD, and GTX600 series or 700series. The performance will be outstanding, and you will save to upgrade in the future. Intel is currently king in single thread performance, so even the old FS98, Fs2002 will benefit. You can OC if you want to later as well with a decent water cooling solution.

AMD is a good value proposition, but you have to give up single threaded performance and feature sets. Anything properly optimized for running multiple threads, will perform near the Core i5s and 7s.

Good luck.