Qantas A380 Engine Blown

airlinepainter

Qantas A380 Engine Blown

Post by airlinepainter »

I can't believe this!
"Qantas flight QF32 was travelling from Singapore to Sydney with 430 passengers on board. There is no word on the cause of the problem. No-one was injured.

Witnesses on the nearby Indonesian island of Batam say they heard an explosion as the plane flew overhead.

They say debris was found on the ground.

Qantas says one of the plane's four engines shut down over western Indonesia, but that it was able to land safely with three.

Correspondents at Singapore's Changi airport say smoke is billowing from the aircraft, which is surrounded by fire engines.

The A380, a double-deck airliner, is the largest passenger plane in the world and made its first commercial flight in 2007."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11691197

iheart707

Significant Failures on the A380

Post by iheart707 »

Kind of American Airlines and their DC-10 crash of flight 191... :o

One word to describe this.... Quality...

http://chicagoflightsfsx.com/modules.ph ... le&sid=406

Derek Mayer

Re: Significant Failures on the A380

Post by Derek Mayer »

Their commitment to safety is undeniable. Impressive.

I suspect the engineers at RR will be working double shifts on this one.

esg

Re: Qantas A380 Engine Blown

Post by esg »

iheart707 wrote:Kind of American Airlines and their DC-10 crash of flight 191... :o

One word to describe this.... Quality...

http://chicagoflightsfsx.com/modules.ph ... le&sid=406
Merged with older thread, stop plugging your site

RR certainly has some 'splaining to do (QF74 couple of months ago). Though it's peculiar the 744's weren't grounded then...

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

lufthansa A380's also have the RR engines, i guess they will be grounded as well? :?

but i have to say, qantas lives up to their promise of safety. :D

Snowdragon

Post by Snowdragon »

Lufthansa and singapore`s A380 fly now.

There was a 2. Engine problem today.
From Qantas, a 744 from singapore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11702365

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

yes, another qantas jet had engine problems, this time a 747 that took off from changi airport, also had RR engines, coincidence? :!:

looks like the engineers at Rolls-Royce have to pull their sleeves up and get back to work in fixing these flaws.

or is there another explanation to the qantas planes?

lordsniper

Post by lordsniper »

Since an engine from a 747-400 from the same Comapny blew the day after the a380 incident, i'd personnally say that something in the maintenance or logistic is to blame, maybe it's a sabotage, a fuel composition problem, we don't know but that's quite odd,....2 engines in 2 days, plus the 747 motors are not new at all so if there was a conception problem from RR it'd be knew by now...

esg

Post by esg »

On Nov 10th the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) issued an Emergency Airworthiness Directive for all Trent 900 engines reporting that "an oil fire in the HP/IP structure cavity may have caused the failure of the Intermediate Pressure Turbine (IPT) Disk". The EAD requires extensive inspections within the next 10 flight cycles to be repeated within every 20 flight cycles.
http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost.php ... tcount=140
WHAT WENT WRONG ON QF32
1 Massive fuel leak in the left mid fuel tank (there are 11 tanks, including in the horizontal stabiliser on the tail)
2 Massive fuel leak in the left inner fuel tank
3 A hole on the flap fairing big enough to climb through
4 The aft gallery in the fuel system failed, preventing many fuel transfer functions
5 Problem jettisoning fuel
6 Massive hole in the upper wing surface
7 Partial failure of leading edge slats
8 Partial failure of speed brakes/ground spoilers
9 Shrapnel damage to the flaps
10 Total loss of all hydraulic fluid in one of the jet's two systems
11 Manual extension of landing gear
12 Loss of one generator and associated systems
13 Loss of brake anti-skid system
14 No.1 engine could not be shut down in the usual way after landing because of major damage to systems
15 No.1 engine could not be shut down using the fire switch, which meant fire extinguishers would not work on that engine
16 ECAM (electronic centralised aircraft monitor) warnings about the major fuel imbalance (because of fuel leaks on left side) could not be fixed with cross-feeding
17 Fuel was trapped in the trim tank (in the tail)creating a balance problem for landing
18 Left wing forward spar penetrated by debris
Wow...

likes_to_repaint

Post by likes_to_repaint »

WHAT WENT WRONG ON QF32
1 Massive fuel leak in the left mid fuel tank (there are 11 tanks, including in the horizontal stabiliser on the tail)
2 Massive fuel leak in the left inner fuel tank
3 A hole on the flap fairing big enough to climb through
4 The aft gallery in the fuel system failed, preventing many fuel transfer functions
5 Problem jettisoning fuel
6 Massive hole in the upper wing surface
7 Partial failure of leading edge slats
8 Partial failure of speed brakes/ground spoilers
9 Shrapnel damage to the flaps
10 Total loss of all hydraulic fluid in one of the jet's two systems
11 Manual extension of landing gear
12 Loss of one generator and associated systems
13 Loss of brake anti-skid system
14 No.1 engine could not be shut down in the usual way after landing because of major damage to systems
15 No.1 engine could not be shut down using the fire switch, which meant fire extinguishers would not work on that engine
16 ECAM (electronic centralised aircraft monitor) warnings about the major fuel imbalance (because of fuel leaks on left side) could not be fixed with cross-feeding
17 Fuel was trapped in the trim tank (in the tail)creating a balance problem for landing
18 Left wing forward spar penetrated by debris
Wow...
it's really astonishing, that this flight did not end as disaster :!:

selcal77

Post by selcal77 »

A hole in the 'flap fairing' big enough to climb through? what exactly do they mean by flap fairing, are they talking about a flap track fairing? In which case I find it hard to imagine how you could climb through any size of hole in one of those. I'm not doubting that this was a serious incident, because clearly it was extremely serious, but I can't help feeling a bit cynical about this list. And the article it came from, describing the spoilers as 'the flaps on the front of the wing?'

Sadly, I can see this is going to be a major headache for Rolls Royce, Airbus and Qantas. People are, understandably, going to be quite panicked by the sensationalist media coverage surrounding it. A big blow for the A380, and one I really hope they will bounce back from.

esg

Post by esg »

The article does appear to be quite dodgy, but I'm thinking the list was probably leaked from within QF. Words might've been replaced to cater for their audience, but everything on there sounds plausible.

selcal77

Post by selcal77 »

Yep, I agree most of the items do sound plausible. I think my mistrust of the list is the context - the article it was published in seems to have been written in a style intended to shock and stir panic. Obviously like most people I don't know exactly what happened and I didn't see the damage, but I guess I'm just hoping that at least some people will be sensible enough not to take these reports at face value before we get more credible info.

airlinepainter

Post by airlinepainter »

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

Small incidents are a normal part of any large scale airline operation, the media is simply making a big deal of any story they get wind of nowadays.

lordsniper

Post by lordsniper »

plus, qantas is one of the most fiable airline company in the world :) and thank god nothing happened...

airlinepainter

Post by airlinepainter »

Wow, another incident... This time a bird strike. A Qantas B747 had to return to Johannesburg after a bird strike.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-1 ... trike.html