The forgotten Fokkers

sknepper

The forgotten Fokkers

Post by sknepper »

The story of Fokker goes way back to the beginning of the success of the Wright brothers. Unfortunately the Fokker factory ceased to exist in this small country they call the Netherlands (Lower lands).
But, there are many old Fokker Friendships (F27's) and Fellowships (F28's) flying in mostly 3rd world countries.
The PROJECT Fokker Jetline brings the Fokkers to flightsim with their freeware aircraft. The changes between FS2004 and FSX makes it a challenge always to developers to get the software compatible again.
That's why I have been busy together with other developers to get a FSX version of the Fokker F28 FSX ready.
See the films and say what you think about them;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebWaH9z03bg
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hlWpTpjavg
And both are in HD quality :).

Atomic_13

Re: The forgotten Fokkers

Post by Atomic_13 »

Fokker..I can still sometimes see Pelita Air's F-28 flying here in Indonesia. Pelita Air operates charter flight so it may take some luck to catch them in Sepinggan (WALL/BPN).
Glad to hear that a group of people are making the model FSX-ready :)

Edited because I wrongly read the previous post, my bad :oops:

DerKranich

Post by DerKranich »

I remember flying only one Fokker from VIE-AMS. Though I did have to get up at the crack of dawn and help drag one of my friends who had a hangover around Schiphol.

Though it is a nice plane. I remember there being a crazy amount of dirt on the tail though.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM-City ... 1093124/L/

esg

Post by esg »

I've flown a fair few times on KLM's Fokkers; the air conditioning is freaking loud!

AirNewZealand_A320

Post by AirNewZealand_A320 »

Unless theres a GOOD F-27 in the works this is not too exciting.

Snowdragon

Post by Snowdragon »

The engines are loud... :D ^^Flew with them in august. Last seat... only ??? (20) centimeters away from this loud engines. (Fokker 70) :/

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

Snowdragon wrote:The engines are loud... :D ^^Flew with them in august. Last seat... only ??? (20) centimeters away from this loud engines. (Fokker 70) :/
Haha, lol. If you can't hear them, then you have a problem. The Roller Tay engines on the F70 do make a good sound, and when they go into reverse on landing :x they test your hearing. :)

iheart707

Post by iheart707 »

One of the best sounding jets, right next to the old JT3D's.

I'm glad to hear that someone is FINALLY working on the F27's. Such a good and well behaved little jet! It's like a DC-9, but sharper, newer, and more efficient!

Just out of curiosity, is this plane a new model in its entirety or simply patches to the panel to make it FSX compatible?

AirNewZealand_A320

Post by AirNewZealand_A320 »

iheart707 wrote:One of the best sounding jets, right next to the old JT3D's.

I'm glad to hear that someone is FINALLY working on the F27's. Such a good and well behaved little jet! It's like a DC-9, but sharper, newer, and more efficient!

Just out of curiosity, is this plane a new model in its entirety or simply patches to the panel to make it FSX compatible?
You know the F-27 is a TurboProp...

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

iheart707 wrote:One of the best sounding jets, right next to the old JT3D's.

In the beginning the F28 Fellowship with 2 Roller Spey jet engines (and not a turboprop F27 Friendship ;) ) will get a few new tricks for FSX in the panel. The model is still by todays standards of very high quality, so the wheel will not be reinvented in that regard. Also the FDE was perfectly done in FS9, so there is very little to correct. Even ex-pilots and engineers have stated that everything is as it was in the real thing.
The biggest challenge, apart from making the gauges 100% FSX compatible, is still to get the autolanding gauge working with FSX. There's been a total redesign of the autoland with the new FSX features, and for managing the effects of side winds on landing is very different to FS9. But that's a must for the new FSX panel as it was used in the FS9 one too. The differences are huge in almost everything.
However, a VC is also planned but for a later release.
It is a group of free time volunteers making it, like the team at PA, so no deadlines can be fixed. And it will be freeware also, so no commercial interests there :). Made by enthousiasts for enthousiasts is the motto :D.

iheart707

Post by iheart707 »

AirNewZealand_A320 wrote: You know the F-27 is a TurboProp...
:o Cannot beleive I said that... I'd love to get a new keyboard someday...
sknepper wrote: The differences are huge in almost everything.
However, a VC is also planned but for a later release.
It is a group of free time volunteers making it, like the team at PA, so no deadlines can be fixed. And it will be freeware also, so no commercial interests there :). Made by enthousiasts for enthousiasts is the motto :D.
I'd rather have quality over quanity - any day of the week. It's is also promising to hear that you don't need to play with the flight dynamics from the FS2004 version.

I would personally love to help with the project, but sadly thats out of my deparment (I do a little of AFCAD and scenery work but nothing with modeling).

Best of luck in your work, and please keep us posted!

Atomic_13

Post by Atomic_13 »

sknepper wrote:Made by enthousiasts for enthousiasts is the motto :D.
I like the sound of that! Catchy and summarises the project nicely ;)

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

iheart707 wrote:I'd rather have quality over quanity - any day of the week. It's is also promising to hear that you don't need to play with the flight dynamics from the FS2004 version.

I would personally love to help with the project, but sadly thats out of my deparment (I do a little of AFCAD and scenery work but nothing with modeling).

Best of luck in your work, and please keep us posted!
Thanks for the kind words from everyone. I will keep most of the progress reports on my website blog;
http://members.ziggo.nl/sknepper/
Worth a look ;). And no, I do not have all those irritating advertisements on my website :). It's just a communication site for entousiasts ;).