[WIP]A32X Series panel (LCD and CRT)

flynryan692

[WIP]A32X Series panel (LCD and CRT)

Post by flynryan692 »

Well, today I decided I would dive into panel design. For my first project what better than to make my favorite aircraft, the A32X series. I come from a web graphics/ logo design background so this style of work is new to me. But I'm getting it! Keep in mind this picture is about an hour and a half of work, so it still looks cartoony and is missing a lot. But I'll keep this thread updated as I go along.

Here is my plan for the project -

I will be doing a panel for the A32X series, both LCD and CRT will be made.

I plan to make this feature rich, so yes an mcdu/ fmc will be included. It will either be my own custom made one or I'll use vas fmc gauges. We will see. This is going to be built for the Project Airbus series aircraft and meant to work with them. I also plan to model Airbus thrust modes, a working APU, electrical, hydraulic etc. Oh, and yes it will be free. I have a LOT to learn to achieve what I plan to do, so be patient.

Again, still a work in progress and still a little cartoony. Bare with me, and keep checking back as I update the thread.

LCD Version Preview

flynryan692

Re: [WIP]A32X Series (LCD and CRT)

Post by flynryan692 »

Update number two...already.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hi, while I admire your enthusiasm, I see that you have very, very high expectations. Planning an MCDU, thrust levers etc.... it ain't easy. I'll tell you. I've seen thousands who started what would have been amazing projects if they were only coming true. It's easy to say. I learnt from experience that those who promise much, don't achieve much.

What skills do you have for programming? C? C#? XML? Is it going to be FSX or fs9 ?

There are too many questions to answer. Just begin SLOWLY. This is my advice.

Again, I admire your enthusiasm but, once you'll start programming, you'll notice how hard things get and compiling becomes irritating.

In the beginning of a project, updates are naturally frequent but as time goes by, what most likely will happen is that you lose your enthusiasm.

Hope to see your project flourish and keep us updated.

Good luck

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

Thanks, yes I realize I have very big expectations. I have a little bit of beginners C# and XML so I'll build off of that and see where it takes me. It will be for FS9. :D

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Alright, good luck with your project :)

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

Here is the next preview, not too sure I like the buttons (AP1, FD, A/THR etc) on the glareshield or not. I have started making the first gauge, the altimeter on the glareshield. Thought I would start simple :P

The next thing I'll do is the clock gauge, it's on the far right side in the middle. I may rework that, as I think it looks dumb. lol

Enjoy, suggestions are welcome too! Also, if anybody knows what font would work for the registration plate and the speed chart that would be great!

cheangjc

Post by cheangjc »

GREAT WORK! Maybe resize the clock grey thing to be wider. I would also suggest cutting out The bottom when there is a bit left of the ECAM. I have no expereince in making avionics but you can approach me if you need help with the ECAM & Autopilot logics and i will try my best with the limited knowledge i have.

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

Sorry guys, I've been busy but I am still working on this.

I've done a bit of coding on it, but nothing substantial. It's pretty difficult so I think what I am going to do is integrate the vasfmc airbus gauges and make this into one really nice panel. I've got to look more into vasfmc and how it works. I'll post pictures soon. :)

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

That's why I wrote that post before man ;)

Yet, glad you'll still working on it

ReneM.

Post by ReneM. »

OMG man, you're kidding me right? Amazing 2D-panel. Better than Wilco's and Airsimmer. It can't be better. I really like the idea with LCD and CRT so i can fly new airbusses with new panel and the old with the crt panel.
and it's aslo great to hear that you're still working on it.
Those panels i like more than those photoreals.

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

After restarting the over head I am at this. Not sure if I like it, what do you guys think? This is an early preview, still have to do a lot of dirt/ shadow stuff to it..

The screws are what is bugging me, they seem to close together...

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hi,
nice job there man. Why the dirt? It looks fine as it is, maybe the improvements you have in mind but I would definitely eliminate dirt.

regards

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

GaryG wrote:Hi,
nice job there man. Why the dirt? It looks fine as it is, maybe the improvements you have in mind but I would definitely eliminate dirt.

regards
Well it really isn't dirt..it's more like...hmm actually I ahve no idea what it is. Just gives it more depth. :P

Probably going to tkae a break on the over head and finish up the main panel, also work on the CRT screens.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Cool, awesome job man, have you tried it in fs by chance?

regards

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

Really nice work and detail, are you going to have your own gauges for the overhead functionality?

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

GaryG wrote:Cool, awesome job man, have you tried it in fs by chance?

regards
Not yet, I want to completely finish the bitmaps and buttons, all that jazz, before I put it in fs.
A321flyer wrote:Really nice work and detail, are you going to have your own gauges for the overhead functionality?
Well, that is something I am still deciding. Originally my plan was to simulate all of the Airbus systems, but I have found that is going to be a massive amount of work I am not yet ready for. I decided I am going to use vasfmc for the fmc and all of that, but I am not sure if I want to make my own gauges for the lights and other functions.

Thanks!

ReneM.

Post by ReneM. »

looks really great so far.

iPetroSS

Post by iPetroSS »

Really amazing mate ;) How is this project going? Is it for FSX or FS2004?

Thanks!

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

I like it! Only a piece of advice, regarding graphics: In the overhead panel, rotate the screws to random angles. They look "perfect".

Alexair

Post by Alexair »

Hello,

Actually no, he did it the proper way. They are Dzus screws meaning they are locking always in the same position (generally a 1/4 turn). The only thing I might say is that they could be vertical instead of horizontal (but both are ok though).

Have a look at this pic :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Berl ... ca165f618e

Otherwise, a very nice work for a start up. Keep un with the good work mate...

Cheers,

Alex

ReneM.

Post by ReneM. »

Hey,
One question. Are you going on, on this project? and if it's so did you already turn the screws? For me it isn't important in which direction the screws are turned but if they're vertical it would be more realistic.

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

JPetroSS wrote:Really amazing mate ;) How is this project going? Is it for FSX or FS2004?

Thanks!
Originally for FS9, but I'll probably do both. Just got a widescreen monitor so I'm working to make it work with both types of monitors.
Alexair wrote:Hello,

Actually no, he did it the proper way. They are Dzus screws meaning they are locking always in the same position (generally a 1/4 turn). The only thing I might say is that they could be vertical instead of horizontal (but both are ok though).

Have a look at this pic :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Berl ... ca165f618e

Otherwise, a very nice work for a start up. Keep un with the good work mate...

Cheers,

Alex
Thanks! I'll work on the screws :)
ReneM. wrote:Hey,
One question. Are you going on, on this project? and if it's so did you already turn the screws? For me it isn't important in which direction the screws are turned but if they're vertical it would be more realistic.
Yes I am still working on it, slowly but surely.

A321flyer

Post by A321flyer »

Do the direction of the screws really matter? Not a big deal...I'm just waiting for the outcome really.

ReneM.

Post by ReneM. »

A321flyer wrote:Do the direction of the screws really matter? Not a big deal...I'm just waiting for the outcome really.
No, as I said before.

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

Hello, just wanted to make a quick update -

I had to restart because when I tried to resize the bitmap it became very distorted. I thought it was unsaved, but I guess I hit the save button, so it got ruined.

Not to worry though, this actually turns out good. It allows me to create a widescreen panel (I will also make a 4_3 as well), and apply some new techniques so the new version looks MUCH better. I'm also doing it in a different order this time. Previously I was trying to make each bitmap and then I was going to put it all together, now I am working on the main bitmap and putting it in FS then I will move to the over head and so on. I've put the main panel together in photoshop quicker this time around too.

I've also been reading up on vasFMC, which is a lot better than I have expected. It has FBW and autoland (haven't tested it yet), while obviously also using a FMGC . Hopefully when I am done I'll be able to provide the best A32X panel/ simulation for free. If vasFMC is as good as I now think it is this shouldn't be too impossible with the Project Airbus model and my panel. :)

I'll have pics soon, I don't want to post anything until I get this new panel into FS.

Also, just a side note - I don't think vasFMC works in FSX so I won't be able to create an FSX version. Sorry guys :/

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

version 2.1 works in FSX

flynryan692

Post by flynryan692 »

GaryG wrote:version 2.1 works in FSX
The gauge version? I heard the gauge version doesn't, but the standalone does.

szpirogyra

Post by szpirogyra »

will it b a vc or 2d panels only

szpirogyra

Post by szpirogyra »

is it the 3d vc or just 2d panels

ReneM.

Post by ReneM. »

I hope it will be still a 2D-Panel.

Sad what's happend with your old panels. But good luck to your new ones.

I know it's a stupid question but do you have already some pics.?

I'm patient no matter what happens.