Sun Textures

TheRedBaron

Sun Textures

Post by TheRedBaron »

Hi everyone! I took it upon myself to develop new sun textures to replace the horrible default ones. What do you think?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp7eb798bc1ci ... 22_261.png

GaryG

Re: Sun Textures

Post by GaryG »

I think it looks quite nice :)

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

Nice. ;)

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

And an update (I've had it for like a month...just forgot to update):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx6x0dho7xhjy ... 16_177.bmp

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

Looks much better than default one. Good work! ;)

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Thanks!
Here is a dawn shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bozdh7f5s2ut ... 23_894.bmp
And a dusk one...though it worked out more like late afternoon: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaqzifivftzkg ... 02_356.bmp

It seems to be good enough as far as I can tell. I'll do some DX10 tests, and then release it. Only problem is that using bloom makes the sun this MASSIVE flying fireball that blinds you entirely :laugh:

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

Where is a like button, when I need it? :D

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Airbus Fan wrote:Where is a like button, when I need it? :D
Hahaha...esg's been promising that for a while :laugh:

Do you have any suggestions? Say something that might push it into the realistic category?

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

I think in sunrise or sunset You need to add a bit more orange color. But just a bit. (This is just my opinion). Afternoon textures looks fine. :)

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Hmm...I'll warm up the textures a bit. I kept them pretty cool to keep consistent with the afternoon and avoid the hideous yellow ball the FSX default ended up being. Thanks!

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

Hi, how are you doing with textures? :D

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Hi! Sorry for the delay in replying...loads of work to do.

I've sort of stagnated. The textures don't seem to be affected a whole lot by warming them up. I think FSX does a lot to whiten the sun during winter and early spring months, while making the sky paler. I am still trying to figure out which texture affects bloom, so that I can actually make the bloom somewhat work instead of turning the sun into a massive fireball (more massive, anyway). I don't use bloom since it is glitchy and has a huge performance hit, but for those who do, I want to be able to provide a good experience.

Also, an interesting thing with DX10 is that the sun is MUCH more realistic. Try it out, and you'll be amazed. Flying through clouds with the sun in front of them = almost like real life. Makes me wish MS Flight didn't suck lol.

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Here is a link to my first version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7v1wvd4zkjpt ... xtures.zip

All relevant information is in the Readme. Please post back with any feedback!
Thank you.

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

Hello,

I tried Your sun textures. I can say that it's way better than default ones. But there is just one thing which is weird for me.. In midday, the sun looks so small ( a bit smaller than my mouse cursor :D ). I think in real life the sun is a bit bigger. :)

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Airbus Fan wrote:Hello, I tried Your sun textures. I can say that it's way better than default ones.
Thank you!
Airbus Fan wrote:In midday, the sun looks so small ( a bit smaller than my mouse cursor ). I think in real life the sun is a bit bigger.
Hmm...that's odd. I just tested it, and you're right, the sun is a bit on the small side, but it's still larger than my cursor. What resolution are you using?

I'll see what I can do-I think this issue is more to do with the FSX sun controller, but I'll do my best to fix it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

My resolution is 1280 x 1024.

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Ahhh that might be part of the issue. All my dev work is done in 1920X1080, and I know FSX is a bit screwy with resolution changes sometimes. That helps. I'll do what I can to try and fix it.

Airbus Fan

Post by Airbus Fan »

Maybe here's something new?

TheRedBaron

Post by TheRedBaron »

Airbus Fan wrote:Maybe here's something new?
Hi! Sorry, I haven't been able to do much work on this in a while. Uni is quite time-consuming, so most of my dev work is at a standstill until the winter holidays (even then, IDK how much I'll be able to get done since I have exams upon my return).
*I am still considering this an active project though-I haven't given up.