Project FMC simplified for Project Airbus

fdd_fr

Re: Project FMC simplified for Project Airbus

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi

Mosquito-x and A320pilot, have you read the first part of the user manual ? I will post this afternoon, second part (page 20 to 40....)

I completed HECA - Cairo Intl and I am begining to work on KJFK - New York

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

I haven't finished yet, but I'm close to do so. Corrections have been made.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

great ! many thanks to help me !

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

HECA, Cairo is online, with EGJB Guernesey update.

HECA is designed for Alpha Indian Group updated AFCAD that you can find on AVSIM library (version 2011).

New AIRAC is 06272015

Francois

Prosdocimo

Post by Prosdocimo »

Hi, I have some operation questions. Do I need to shut off APU during a flight? There is no mention in checklists.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

APU is not necessary during flight, exept if you have an engine failure.

I believe that in real life, APU cannot work at high altitude; must be confirmed...But use APU only on ground to start engines and get electricity and air pressurized

Prosdocimo

Post by Prosdocimo »

Thanks. I missed a couple of other questions to ask you
How about Bleed switch? How is this system is simulated in your panel? Need I to leave it in "shut" or in "auto" after engines start?

How ECAM-1 recognizes that I'm going to take off in your code? I noticed that sometimes it keeps TAXI memos even if I'm taking off.

Thanks!

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

1) after engine start, you must set the X-BLEED on "AUTO". Like this, if an engine fail, air will be available everywhere and allow to restart quickly an engine in flight.
Pressurization circuit is not well simulated, because not enough XML instruction to do the job; So only the BLEED circuit for engines is simulated;
So in real aircraft, if you set X-BLEED on "SHUT", you will have not air pressurized for the cabin !!!

2) Panel detect that you takeoff when you turn off taxi lights and turn on Landing lights.

Mosquito-x recommended to me to do a "Quick Start manual" for the aircraft, because, the complete manual is too long for me to translate (my english is very poor !), so it's a good idea, and allow me to publish more quickly the aircraft. I will write the english complete manual later.

Prosdocimo

Post by Prosdocimo »

Thanks for your clarify! After automatic engines start up, Bleed knob stays on Shut, if I'm not wrong. However is not bad, I will learn how to start an engine manually soon..

Writing down a Quick Manual it's a good idea!

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

Prosdocimo wrote:Thanks for your clarify! After automatic engines start up, Bleed knob stays on Shut, if I'm not wrong. However is not bad, I will learn how to start an engine manually soon..

Writing down a Quick Manual it's a good idea!
Manual engine start is very easy. Start the APU. Open the X-feed and set the bleed air to APU. Turn the APU bleed air on. Then, turn the engine master switch to ignition and click the switch for engine 2. After engine 2 has started, start engine 1. After all engines are on and stabilised, turn the X-feed off, set the bleed air to auto, turn the engine bleed air on and the APU bleed air off. Turn the engine master switch to normal. Done! :D

Jakub-S.

Post by Jakub-S. »

Hi Francois!

First I want to thank you for excellent work you are doing. Your panel is absolutely amazing! Now I have got one question about usage of lights during flight. Your ECAM checklist require almost all lights to be switched on before push-back. I think it is not necessary. Maybe I am wrong, but I know that lights are usually operated like this: nav lights - turn on when the aircraft is powered; beacon lights - turn on before push-back or before engines start up; taxi lights - on during taxi; strobe lights - turn on when the aircraft is entering runway; landing lights - same as it is in your checklist; logo lights are optional; and about wing lights I am not sure, but I think it should be same as with taxi lights. So if you will find some free time, could you ceck it up please? Thank you for your answer.

Jakub

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

Jakub-S. wrote:Hi Francois!

First I want to thank you for excellent work you are doing. Your panel is absolutely amazing! Now I have got one question about usage of lights during flight. Your ECAM checklist require almost all lights to be switched on before push-back. I think it is not necessary. Maybe I am wrong, but I know that lights are usually operated like this: nav lights - turn on when the aircraft is powered; beacon lights - turn on before push-back or before engines start up; taxi lights - on during taxi; strobe lights - turn on when the aircraft is entering runway; landing lights - same as it is in your checklist; logo lights are optional; and about wing lights I am not sure, but I think it should be same as with taxi lights. So if you will find some free time, could you ceck it up please? Thank you for your answer.

Jakub
Sure, I also don't think it's necessary to turn on all the lights when pushing back; only nav and beacon lights (and probably wing lights) should be on for this phase.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Ok, I will change the code.

3 new airports online :

EBAW - ANTWERPEN Deurne - Belgium - by Philippe Bronier
EBCI - BRUSSELS South Charleroi Belgium - by Philippe Bronier
GMMN - CASABLANCA Mohamed V - Morocco by Jean-pierre Varnier

AIRAC : 07042015

François

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hello, 4 new airports online :

EBLG - Liege - Belgium, created by Philippe Bronier (provided with updated AFCAD file which add missing ILS)
EBOS - Ostende - Belgium, created by Philippe Bronier (provided with updated AFCAD file which add missing ILS)
GMME - Rabat Salé - Morocco , created by Jean-Pierre Varnier
GMMX - Marrakech Ménara - Morocco , created by Jean-Pierre Varnier

AIRAC updated 07182015, which includes KJFK waypoints, but airport is not completed yet (coming soon)

http://freenavdbgroup.com/

Fdd

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

G´day Francois,

there is silence here in this thread with respect to the A320 panel development and feedback and I think there is a simple reason for that: It generally works fine :) . Thanks again for this extraordinary work.

I used the last weeks to vary any kind of panel usage with and w/o SID/STAR/approaches. Three topics remain for me as room for improvement may be after panel release:
- The sink rate seems to be low during descend and idle condition (no flaps set). As a consequence the given TOD has to be manually "adjusted" even at higher FL´s and the speed brakes are too often in use .... a prob.
- the FMC window will be opened by pushing the master caution knob. Why not to be able to close the FMC by pushing this knob again? Ok there is X in the FMC top right, so a question of comfort and may be easy to implement.
- The LNAV ENGAGE value should be set by default to a reasonable value e.g. 1000 ft, which is a question of comfort and probale reducing confusion during start w/o SID.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi Wulf,

Thanks for your feedback,

About sink rate during descent, I cannot change many things in THR ILDE mode, because depend of many parameters. FMC controls path angle during descent, to keep managed/selected speed with thrust at IDLE. So,
Sink rate of an aircraft during descent is according :
- altitude (high rate at high altitude, decrease when you loss altitude )
- Wind (if head wind, high sink rate, and low sink rate with tail wind)
- Aircraft speed (high sink rate when you go fast)
- Aircraft Gross weight

When aircraft arrives at the end of STAR/descent, FMC switch in speed mode, and in this case, FMC gives a low rate is aircraft is in clean configuration (otherwise, it accelerate ! ) and if you use flaps, aircraft has more drag, and FMC use constant path angle of 3° (5,2%). This constant path angle is during approach, except when G/S is engaged (in this case, FMC chage sink rate in + or - to a better capture of the glide slope.

The better way is to use speed brakes; When you do a trip in an airplane in the real life, you can see than Speed brakes are always used briefly during descent;
You can use also holding pattern that is often at the IAF, if you arrive with a to high altitude,

Think that if you not use a STAR of the database, FMC will use as target, an altitude of 3000 feet above destination airport. This is a low altitude, and aircraft has a low sink rate at low altitude, so in this case, passing 10000 feet, switch in slected speed, and decrease you speed to 210 or 220 kts, that allow to extend flaps and increase drag, and sink rate (you must do that, when aircraft is in THR IDLE mode, before the end of your descent, because, after, FMC will be in speed mode and constant sink rate). Many STAR have speed constraints that allow to extend flaps and increase drag.

But in the majority of cases, I find that TOD calculation is Ok. You have also the possibility to change the TOD value, or engage your descent before the TOD by change the selected altitude at less than 200Nm of the airport.

LNAV engage value is only used in some SID, because required for a good tracking. But if you want a manual switching, set the value to 0 after loaded your SID.

But in many case, there is a turn after take off that require that LNAV engaged.

But I will check again the code about TOD

Sorry to no come here, but many professional work, and I don't find the time to complete the english translation of the manual. I think that the final publish will be at the begin of September.

3 new airports online :

* GMAD - Agadir Morocco
* LPPR - Porto Portugal
* KJFK - New York - USA (works with FSX default airport and FSdreamTeam JFK Scenery)

Update : EGJB - Guernesey

New AIRAC 07252015

http://freenavdbgroup.com/

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote: LNAV engage value is only used in some SID, because required for a good tracking. But if you want a manual switching, set the value to 0 after loaded your SID.
But in many case, there is a turn after take off that require that LNAV engaged.
Thanks for your response, Francois.
Maybe there is a misdescription or misunderstanding from my side. I am speaking of a take off procedure with a flight plan, but w/o SID, where by FMC default a 0 ft value is set. My question is if the LNAV ENGAGE value can be changed from currently 0 to a new default value to 500 or 1000ft or so.
Alternative: Where to change this value in which file....then I´ll do it for my purposes, if this is an easy change :D .

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Default value (0) , without SID, means that LNAV must be engaged by hand, by press the NAV/GPS button. This value is inside the FMC xml code. If yopu note press NAV/GPS button, AP stay in HDG mode after take off (only if LNAV value = 0 ).

If you want that LNAV engage automatically after take-off, you can set your own value, by clicking on the LNAV ENGAGE cell and enter your value with FMC keyboard (minimum value is 50 feet )

I think that the actual solution allow to user all the choice that he want. No ?

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:Default value (0) , without SID, means that LNAV must be engaged by hand, by press the NAV/GPS button. This value is inside the FMC xml code. If yopu note press NAV/GPS button, AP stay in HDG mode after take off (only if LNAV value = 0 ).

If you want that LNAV engage automatically after take-off, you can set your own value, by clicking on the LNAV ENGAGE cell and enter your value with FMC keyboard (minimum value is 50 feet )

I think that the actual solution allow to user all the choice that he want. No ?
I know the constraints. I hoped to get a real number to avoid to set always on a no-SID take off a value....

airport topic:
One typo found in the airport file for KMRY Montery for your attention, please see SNS.csv in line 5: as is --> 28L,LOC110-70,5,1,W should be --> 28L,LOC-110.70,5,1,W

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

About LNAV, I think that in real world, there is no automatic system that engage LNAV. I added this features, for some SID, because user hasn't the airport charts, and in some case, this is mandatory to engage LNAV quickly (one exemple : Innsbruck ! ).

There are some users, who want that I remove this featue, because not realistic; But in my opinion, this is a essential, because, user hasn't charts.

Now, I can change the code and set a default value in case of no SID, but I would like advice of other users...

Thanks for the typo error ! I will update KMRY.

François

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote: Now, I can change the code and set a default value in case of no SID, but I would like advice of other users...
François
ok

Formal typo in airport CYYJ Victoria for your attention: STAR_index.csv, line 5 and line 9: as is --> 09-29 should be --> 09-27

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I must buy glasses !! :laugh:

ok. Thanks for report

Update next weekend ;)

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:I must buy glasses !! :laugh:
Your airport team created 120 airport data up to now ~ 1.200 Excel lines ~ 20.000 single information data .... I think a bug here and there is "normal" and under human aspects unavoidable. No need to buy glasses ;)

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Formal typo in airport PAJN Juneau for your attention: STAR_index.csv line 5 as is --> 08-25,SW,HOODS.SEYMR,1 should be --> 26,SW,HOODS.SEYMR,1

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Ok. Thanks Wulf !

speedbird

Post by speedbird »

fdd is their any chance of a realistic ui plox? You have the skills :D

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

sorry, I don't understand your request....

CaptainRodney

Post by CaptainRodney »

hello,
do any airports come with the fmc and if so, where can i find a list of them? if not, then i have to download each AIRAC file for the airports i want to fly too?

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi,

When you download A320 FD-FMC aircraft pack, It comes with 100 airports

When new Airports are added to the database, AIRAC file is updated.

You must have only the last version of the AIRAC file (delete previous version;

AIRAC file and airport list is here : http://freenavdbgroup.com/?page_id=228

Last full Airports pack file is here : http://freenavdbgroup.com/?page_id=136

You can see airports include in the database inside google Earth, with this KMZ file : http://freenavdbgroup.com/download/FD_F ... tabase.kmz

You can download one by one, only airport of your choice, with alphabetical page :
ICAO code Airport A to F : http://freenavdbgroup.com/?page_id=12
ICAO code airport G to N : http://freenavdbgroup.com/?page_id=28
ICAO code airport O to U : http://freenavdbgroup.com/?page_id=32
ICAO code airport V to Z : http://freenavdbgroup.com/?page_id=34

All is on my website; Explore Menus : http://freenavdbgroup.com/

Sorry for the pause. I am in Hollydays with my children

Have a good flight

bosim

Post by bosim »

Hi Francois

I sent you an e-mail earlier about a ILS issue. Thought maybe somebody else could help.

I have problems intercepting ILS using the A320 when I am using regular vectors and not approach/STAR. For example, I tried intercepting
ILS 04L EKCH using intercept angle of 30 degrees (which is allowed by ICAO), so on heading 070, but the aircraft turns opposite direction. I have double checked the frequency (same applies for 22L, I tried actually using 22L frequency for 04L but same result). Maybe the aircraft does not support that big an intercept angle yet? When I turned 070 I also armed the LOC button, I believe it should be correct behavior on an airbus.

Best regards,
Bo

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

bosim wrote: I have problems intercepting ILS using the A320 when I am using regular vectors and not approach/STAR. For example, I tried intercepting
ILS 04L EKCH using intercept angle of 30 degrees (which is allowed by ICAO), so on heading 070, but the aircraft turns opposite direction. I have double checked the frequency (same applies for 22L, I tried actually using 22L frequency for 04L but same result). Maybe the aircraft does not support that big an intercept angle yet? When I turned 070 I also armed the LOC button, I believe it should be correct behavior on an airbus.

Best regards,
Bo
Just checked ILS 04L EKCH with a Project Airbus A320 and there was no prob to intercept on heading 70 deg. (or even more). In AP mode the ILS button (ILS recognition) and the APR button (auto interceptance) must be pushed, not the LOC. Then You should go.

Wulf

bosim

Post by bosim »

hi Wulf

Thanks for that. I would then expect to be Francoius programmed logic for the autopilot to cause problems. I experienced similar behavior with Blackbox Airbus (early version of the prologue).

Best regards,
Bo

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Hi Bo, do You use the A320 panel from Francois including FMC and applied to the Project Airbus A320?
Strange though as many users have not recognized any trouble with the ILS interceptance and the way & logic AP has been optimized.

Maybe Francois should better answer in the case of further information need.

Wulf

bosim

Post by bosim »

Yep I do, I am really impressed, it beat payware products like Wilco way out. I noticed all videos Francois published are using Standard Arrival/Transition to put him directly on the ILS and not using a vectored approach.

Do you have his panel installed so you could maybe confirm my bug?

Bo

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

bosim wrote:
Do you have his panel installed so you could maybe confirm my bug?

Bo
I have installed the Project Airbus A320, including the A320 panels from Francois and relevant airport data from the Free Nav DB Group.
Regarding your bug I only know the usage as explained above. The use of LOC will be from interest with defined STARS and ILS w/o glide slope and ILS back course approaches.

A comprehensive manual is currently "under production" and will be available in engl. soon.

Wulf

bosim

Post by bosim »

Hi Wulf.

I think i misunderstood you. Hitting the APPR button worked just fine. Should there really be a different between APPR and LOC except for APPR will intercept glideslope as well?

Bo

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

bosim wrote:Hi Wulf.

I think i misunderstood you. Hitting the APPR button worked just fine. Should there really be a different between APPR and LOC except for APPR will intercept glideslope as well?

Bo
There is a big difference in usage between APR and LOC.
APR: together with ILS (path+slope). Intercept ILS-approach acc. to the selected approach in the FMC .
LOC: only glide path controlled according to the selected approach defined in the FMC. The min. approach flight levels will be controlled by the selected approach.

I think there are better explanations from Francois, so please wait.

Wulf

bosim

Post by bosim »

Hi Wulf

Thanks for your explaination and your help. It would really be great to get some documentation on how to fly the bus in English. I do unfortunately only read Danish, Swedish, German and English, unfortunately doesn't work with French. :)

Bo

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

My A320 perfectly intercepts the ILS at a 30° angle. I've done many vectored approaches (thank you, IVAO) and every single time, I press the APR button in the FCU and there I go.

bosim

Post by bosim »

The320Pilot wrote:My A320 perfectly intercepts the ILS at a 30° angle. I've done many vectored approaches (thank you, IVAO) and every single time, I press the APR button in the FCU and there I go.
I got it working as well, thanks for testing. When I have been flying the Wilco/PSS airbus, I have first intercepted the localizer by pressing the LOC button and when the glideslope came the APR button. But this doesn't work here.. I am not sure what is right.

Bo

Prosdocimo

Post by Prosdocimo »

Bosim, just press ILS button to visualize ILS glideslope on PFD. Then APR button as you are close to intercept ILS path.
LOC button is used for approaches via LOC or RNAV

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

Testing new version of SKCL to fix a couple of STARS.

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

François, I don't know what to do whith one of the STARs at SKCL, precisely MANGA7 STAR. There is a 7NM arc. The plane correctly intercepts the arc distance, but then it overshoots the arc and ends up flying around 8 NM away from the VOR, when it should keep itself on the 7NM arc. What can I do?

P.S.: The SIDs, the RNAV STARs, the RNAV approaches, the ILS-VOR approaches, and most instument STARs at SKCL are working correctly. Only the ones that need to fly the 7NM arc don't work correctly.

http://www.aerocivil.gov.co/AIS/AIP/AIP ... 20SKCL.pdf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi Carlos !

Sorry for the delayed response. Hollydays, and after PA forum down !

I am here now.

2 years ago, It was a big challenge for me to write the programming code to control DME-ARC. So, after several days, I found a solution, not perfect, that allow to execute DME-ARC with +/- success.
Here is FD-FMC XML code which manage DME-ARC; It use a very basic PID that I have created (Proportionnal Integral Derivative controler) algorythm.
I will improve it when I will have mmore time (I must complete before the english translation of the Aircraft user manual). But there will be a update, I promise you.
(* gestion ARC DME *)
(L:APPR_Loaded,bool) 1 ==
(L:ARC_DME,bool) 1 == and if{
(A:Autopilot Heading Lock,bool) 0 == if{
(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, degrees) (>K:HEADING_BUG_SET)
0 (>L:Nav1_engaged,bool)
1 (>K:AP_PANEL_HEADING_ON)
}
(* Arc balise a gauche *)
(G:Var2) 1 == if{
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.05 + >
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) > and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) }
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.5 + >
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) > and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) }
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.05 - <
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) < and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) }
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.5 - <
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) < and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) }
}
(* Arc balise a droite *)
(G:Var2) 2 == if{
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.05 + >
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) > and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) }
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.5 + >
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) > and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC) }
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.05 - <
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) < and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) }
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var1) 0.5 - <
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (G:Var4) < and if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC) }
}
'APPWptIdent:' (G:Var3) int scat (>C:XMLVARS:SearchVarName,string)
(C:XMLVARS:StringValue,string) (A:GPS WP PREV ID,string) scmi 0 == if{
0 (>L:ARC_DME,bool)
(A:Autopilot nav1 lock, bool) 0 == if{
1 (>K:AP_PANEL_HEADING_OFF)
1 (>K:AP_NAV1_HOLD_ON)
0 (>L:Nav1_engaged,bool)
}
}
(A:Nav2 DME,nmiles) (>G:Var4)
}

DME-ARC precision depends of several factors :
- ARC distance : the more the distance is high, the more the trajectory is accurate. With a distance of 7Nm, your ARC is difficult for my code :D
- Arrival trajectory in the ARC; It is very important to enter in the ARC with the initial course at the beginnig of the ARC (Tangential arrival)
- Aircraft speed (low speed is more accurate than high speed)

But, don't worry, in the real world, aeronautic authority gives a tolerance of 2 NM for an DME-ARC (see chpater AIP ENR 1.1 para 17.4.7 (c).).
So, FD-FMC is in this tolerance in 99% of case.

So, you deviation of 1 Nm is acceptable and conform to reality !

To increase accuracy, create with precision your DME-ARC entrance waypoints (user waypoint are welcom) and let a distance of minimum 4 Nm between each waypoint, otherwise, FMC can jump to next waypoint !

See picture below :

Arrival is by the north. I use after MARSA, 2 user waypoint (ARC01 and ARC02) to guide aircraft on the ARC tangent. The ARC code, in the csv file begin at TC024, because this waypoint become active in the flight plan when aircraft reaches ARC02.
So ARC instruction must be present in the following waypoints :
- TC024
- TC035
- the 2 green user waypoints.
Only altitude and speed change for each waypoint (according airport charts).

I hope that I helped you

Best
Francois

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Available on freenavdbgroup website :

5 Airports updated with some errors fixed :
- KMRY
- KPSP
- CYYJ
- PAJN
- MDSD

Thanks to Wulf, who report errors !

And a new airport :
- ENBR - Bergen/Flesland - Norway, by Philippe Bronier

New AIRAC : 09062015.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

So sorry !

It remains some errors in MDSD files; Please, don't download it; I will fix them before tonight !

Sorry for the convenience !

moskito-x

Post by moskito-x »

Great that both are back and online, François and Forum :D

Thomas

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Changing FL during flight in cruise mode (flightplan+FMC loaded):

When I change from e.g. FL310 to FL330 then I rightclick ALT button, correct the altitude and leftclick ALT button to fix the new altitude, but unfortunately the A/C does not automatically climb; only when I additionally adjust the vertical speed. What am I doing wrong?

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Have you wait a little time ?

When you change flight level, engines thrust increase slowly, and aircraft may take a little time to climb (because it switches in N1 mode and in this mode, thrust variation are slow).

No error in your action. For me, that's work. I did yesterday a flight level change directly on FCU, without problem.

Only condition : you must be in CRUISE mode when you decide to change flight level.

Check procedure and FMA readings :
- you are in CRUISE mode (A/THR must be in SPEED or MACH mode), at more than 200 Nm of destination airport AND TOD not reached
- right click on the ALT knob
- select your new cruise flight level
- left click on ALT Knob to validate
- FMC switches in N1 mode (from this moment, FMA must display THR CLB and not SPEED or MACH) and vertical ALT mode is replaced by CLB
- thrust increase slowly and after few dozen of seconds, aircraft must begin to climb until the new flight level.

François

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:Have you wait a little time ?

When you change flight level, engines thrust increase slowly, and aircraft may take a little time to climb (because it switches in N1 mode and in this mode, thrust variation are slow).

No error in your action. For me, that's work. I did yesterday a flight level change directly on FCU, without problem.

Only condition : you must be in CRUISE mode when you decide to change flight level.

Check procedure and FMA readings :
- you are in CRUISE mode (A/THR must be in SPEED or MACH mode), at more than 200 Nm of destination airport AND TOD not reached
- right click on the ALT knob
- select your new cruise flight level
- left click on ALT Knob to validate
- FMC switches in N1 mode (from this moment, FMA must display THR CLB and not SPEED or MACH) and vertical ALT mode is replaced by CLB
- thrust increase slowly and after few dozen of seconds, aircraft must begin to climb until the new flight level.

François
Thanks Francois.
I´ve found my operational mistake.
During cruise (>200nm) I´ve reduced the engine power via the throttle lever which has no effect during normal cruise. But there was no sufficient power avaiable to further climb (e.g. FL310 to 330). I thought that the engine power will be autom. increase independent from the the throttle lever position. In the descent mode (e.g. FL330 to 310) the power will be reduced automatically independent from the throttle position.

Wulf