Project FMC simplified for Project Airbus

fdd_fr

Re: Project FMC simplified for Project Airbus

Post by fdd_fr »

It may happens.

When A/THR is in N1 mode (THR CLB or THR IDLE), throttles are active.

WHen you engage descent, you havn't to set throttle to 0 because you havn't touch your throttles before, so FSX ignore actual throttle position

But in your case, you moved your throttles in MACH mode => No effect (throttles are disabled by default in FSX, in MACH or SPEED mode ) but maybe the change remains in memory or a buffer and when A/THR enable throttles in N1 mode, you previous throttle setting is apply....

Or maybe noise in throttles....

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

So far the FL change works in cruise mode :-) .

I wonder if the limitation >200nm remaining distance in cruise mode could be varied as this big value prevents in medium to shorter flights any FL variation. IMHO a more practical limiting point definition could be POD. The POD value is already defined when reaching cruise level. Then during the whole cruising flight period the FL variation could be practised w/o further restriction......only an idea so far.

Wulf

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

Hi, Francois.

I really enjoy flying the FD-FMC A320 (as I've said a thousand times), but there's one thing that intrigues me. See:
The PFD and ND of the first officer are in reversed positions: the PFD should be outboard and the ND inboard (towards the centre). Any way to fix this?

I don't want to press you, but when will the A319 and A321 be ready? The FD-FMC is pretty much done, and I think that it shouldn't be too difficult to port it to the A319 and A321.

P.S.: Please let me share some screenshots of the FD-FMC A320 and A318 with you guys. DISCLAIMER: All of these flights were possible thanks to the FD-FMC. :D
The Air France picture is dedicated to you, Francois, for your hard work. ;) It's a cloudy and windy departure from Rennes.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

wulfbindewald wrote:So far the FL change works in cruise mode :-) .

I wonder if the limitation >200nm remaining distance in cruise mode could be varied as this big value prevents in medium to shorter flights any FL variation. IMHO a more practical limiting point definition could be POD. The POD value is already defined when reaching cruise level. Then during the whole cruising flight period the FL variation could be practised w/o further restriction......only an idea so far.

Wulf
In Airbus A320 FCOM, it always wrote that if you select another altitude in the 200Nm destination airport radius, that engage descent processus, in managed mode.

I will think to add the possiblity to change flight level in the 200Nm radius, in the FMC page (not on the FCU) without engage the descent. I need time to change the code (I am very busy by my professinnal work)
The320Pilot wrote:Hi, Francois.

I really enjoy flying the FD-FMC A320 (as I've said a thousand times), but there's one thing that intrigues me. See:
The PFD and ND of the first officer are in reversed positions: the PFD should be outboard and the ND inboard (towards the centre). Any way to fix this?

I don't want to press you, but when will the A319 and A321 be ready? The FD-FMC is pretty much done, and I think that it shouldn't be too difficult to port it to the A319 and A321.

P.S.: Please let me share some screenshots of the FD-FMC A320 and A318 with you guys. DISCLAIMER: All of these flights were possible thanks to the FD-FMC. :D
The Air France picture is dedicated to you, Francois, for your hard work. ;) It's a cloudy and windy departure from Rennes.

You are right about gauge placement in the VC; But sorry, I can't change anything. This is bug of the A321 Virtual cockpit that I use. The error is in the MDL file of Microsoft and I can't change it. I did 2 fix, because they where simple:

-The PLN position of the ND mode Knob didn't work on the default VC. I edited the MDL file with an Hexadecimal editor and I changed a value to activate the position. Action was possible, because easy to find the error in the binary file (Knob name was in clear) no change in the file size.
- X-Bleed selector had differnet positon between 2D panel and VC (APU and ENGS postions where inverted). I fix the bug draw a new bitmap for 2D panel.

So, I cannot fix gauge placement error for co-pilot; I don't know where information are coded in the MDL binary file and in Panel.CFG, you can only define the position of the gauges on the left side of the VC. This is an instruction in the MDL file that duplicates gauge placement to the left and that it was false.

Thanks for screenshots !!

About A319 and A321, no start to work. To many things to do (manual translation, correction of airports, professinal job !!) and i must fix one or two small bugs in the panel of A320/A318 before.

But coming soon, I promise you

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:
wulfbindewald wrote:So far the FL change works in cruise mode :-) .

Wulf
In Airbus A320 FCOM, it always wrote that if you select another altitude in the 200Nm destination airport radius, that engage descent processus, in managed mode.

I will think to add the possiblity to change flight level in the 200Nm radius, in the FMC page (not on the FCU) without engage the descent. I need time to change the code (I am very busy by my professinnal work)
I propose any code change after panel release in the future and not to disturb the panel finalisation ;) .

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Ok wulf.

Fixed a small bug on the FMA, when FPA mode is armed.

85/103 pages translated about english version of the manual. I see the end of the tunnel !!!

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

François, yesterday I was doing an approach on the A320 and had to do a go-around after touchdown because the plane bounced off the runway. Because of the touchdown, the spoilers activated, but then I had to manually retract them during the go-around procedure. Aren't the spoilers supposed to retract automatically during a go-around, even if the plane had already touched down?

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I will do a test. Spoiler extension is managed by an FSX function ("Spoiler armed" XML instruction). But If my memory is good, I believe that I added code to maintain spoiler deployed, after touchdown.... I must check code.

Thanks for report !

François

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I did 3 test and I never had the same problem. But I added a instruction to disabled speed brakes when Go around is detected.

Today, one airport updated : MDSD and a new airport KEGE.

AIRAC file is not modified.

To download : http://freenavdbgroup.com/?p=773

Next week, I will improve website presentation.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hello,

I completed the english translation of the Aircraft manual. So my english is very bad, and before upload aircraft, I would like to be sure that manual is understandable.

So, if an English man can read and tell me if my manual is not in chineese language ..... :laugh:

You can view and download PDF file here : http://freenavdbgroup.com/Temp/A320%20F ... Manual.pdf

thank you not to laugh ......

Prosdocimo

Post by Prosdocimo »

François, I read the date of your first post... 22 september 2013! So this translation is pretty the ending of your superb job! Almost after exactly two years of hard work. We need a case of the best Champagne to drink to!!

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Many tnanks at all members of this forum who help me with this project !!!

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Thanks to Francois for the KEGE STAR/SID/approach data, which are working well in the Orbx airport scenery KEGE Eagle-County.
Enclosed 2 exemplary pics with the LDA/DME RWY 25 approach/freq. 109.75, via VOR RLG.

You´ll notice in the FMC display that the lateral LDA glide- path and slope has to be adjusted. Orbx promised to provide a corresponding LDA hotfix soon.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Thanks Wulf.

I need users advice :

I completed VNKT - Katmandu Airport (NEPAL). As this airport has only RNAV and VOR approach (no LOC, no ILS) and the VOR approach has a high gradient angle (5,31°).
With actual panel, when you are in approach (SPEED mode) in Managed Altitude mode, descent rate is by default , the standard descent rate. But with an approach like VOR 02 - VNKT, you cannot stay in managed mode, because you will arrive to high.

The only solution is to switch in seleted altitude mode and FPA mode, but in this case, you lose altitude constraint of each approach's waypoint and if you havn't the approach chart, this is very dangerous (by low visibility.

So, I checked in the Airbus FCOM, there is the possibility the enter a descent angle in the FMC. So before publish the panel, I would like to add this feature, which allow to use special approaches that have a high gradient descent.

The code to added is very simple, because I have already the calculation for the FPA mode. I have just to add a button and a cell in the approach page. I think that I can complete this new feature for tomorrow.

What do you think about this ?

François

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

fdd_fr wrote:Thanks Wulf.

I need users advice :

I completed VNKT - Katmandu Airport (NEPAL). As this airport has only RNAV and VOR approach (no LOC, no ILS) and the VOR approach has a high gradient angle (5,31°).
With actual panel, when you are in approach (SPEED mode) in Managed Altitude mode, descent rate is by default , the standard descent rate. But with an approach like VOR 02 - VNKT, you cannot stay in managed mode, because you will arrive to high.

(...)

So, I checked in the Airbus FCOM, there is the possibility the enter a descent angle in the FMC. So before publish the panel, I would like to add this feature, which allow to use special approaches that have a high gradient descent.

The code to added is very simple, because I have already the calculation for the FPA mode. I have just to add a button and a cell in the approach page. I think that I can complete this new feature for tomorrow.

What do you think about this ?

François
I think it's a goood idea. Tell us when the modification is ready so that we can test it.

On a side note, I have been unable to capture any of the ILS at SKBO (namely IEDR for 13L and IADO for 13R). IEDR should be intercepted at 11300 ft and IADO at 11000 ft. What happens is that the aircraft is able to capture the ILS signal, but when I press the ILS button on the FCU, the magenta diamonds don't appear in the PFD and the ILS button remains off. Could you please check this? Oh, by the way, I'm using an add-on for SKBO, but the aircraft should perform the same because--according to Airport Design Editor--the add-on is using the deafult FSX ILS for both runways.

SKBO official charts (in Spanish)

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote: So, I checked in the Airbus FCOM, there is the possibility the enter a descent angle in the FMC. So before publish the panel, I would like to add this feature, which allow to use special approaches that have a high gradient descent.

What do you think about this ? François
A descent value from normal 3°up to 5°or so sounds like steep approach.

The additional descent cell in the approach menu should have a default value 3° with the option to increase the value up to ...? . An additional constraint info (blue button "!" ) would be helpfull.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

The320Pilot wrote:
I think it's a goood idea. Tell us when the modification is ready so that we can test it.

On a side note, I have been unable to capture any of the ILS at SKBO (namely IEDR for 13L and IADO for 13R). IEDR should be intercepted at 11300 ft and IADO at 11000 ft. What happens is that the aircraft is able to capture the ILS signal, but when I press the ILS button on the FCU, the magenta diamonds don't appear in the PFD and the ILS button remains off. Could you please check this? Oh, by the way, I'm using an add-on for SKBO, but the aircraft should perform the same because--according to Airport Design Editor--the add-on is using the deafult FSX ILS for both runways.

SKBO official charts (in Spanish)
Hi Carlos,

If you cannot engage ILS button, this is because FMC descent phase is not completed (STAR not completed) and you must be yet in THR IDLE mode.

ILS capture can work only when autopilot is in SPEED mode, otherwise, that will occurs problems and conflicts with the FMC code.

This is the reason why I added a security about ILS and APPR button which can work only if STAR is totally completed.

To summurize :

Conditions :
STAR --> FMC controlled descent (OP DES or DES and THR IDLE, excpet during level off when waypoint altitude constraint).
End of STAR (or descent if no STAR loaded) when :
- if a STAR is loaded : End of STAR is when Last waypoint of the STAR is reached AND Altitude of hte last STAR's waypoint is reached ; A/THR switches in SPEED mode, and DES or OP DES disappears of the FMA and becomes ALT.
- If no STAR loaded, end of descent is when aircraft reaches the "Descent target altitude" that you can change in the FMC "descent page".

Until these condition are not filled, you cannot activate ILS. So, in your case, I think that you arrives at too high altitude to capture your ILS. Or the end of your STAR is too close of the final approach.

The best sign to know if STAR/Descent is completed or not completed is : On the FMA, until STAR/Descent is not completed, you have always the "DES" or "OP DES" in green color, or "DES" in Cyan color on the second line during an STAR altitude constraint, when Autopilot switches temporally in SPEED mode.
wulfbindewald wrote:
fdd_fr wrote: So, I checked in the Airbus FCOM, there is the possibility the enter a descent angle in the FMC. So before publish the panel, I would like to add this feature, which allow to use special approaches that have a high gradient descent.

What do you think about this ? François
A descent value from normal 3°up to 5°or so sounds like steep approach.

The additional descent cell in the approach menu should have a default value 3° with the option to increase the value up to ...? . An additional constraint info (blue button "!" ) would be helpfull.

Wulf

This is exactly what I want to do. Default value = -3°, adjustable from -2° to -8°, with 2 decimal.; In the appraoch page, with a cell with the same llok that other functions.

Code is already wrote to 90%.

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

A more practical question: There are RNAVs with different descent values between waypt to waypt up to to the rwy. How do you prevent, that the higher descent rate will not applied to all legs and only applied to those wich are affected and really need a higher descent angle (mainly the last RNAV section). Otherwise the AC will descend in "steps" starting from the STAR entry.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

First step, I code the function with the possibility to enter a user value, that you can change at any time.

For example, in VOR Rwy 02 of VNKT, approach begin at 3°, then increase to 5.31° from "A" waypoint until "B" waypoint, then come back to 3°.

User will can change value at each step. By read the AIRBUS FCOM, that's work like this. But I havn't screenshot of the real FMC for this feauture, and I don't know, if you enter a angle for each leg, or just one general value .

For an updated panel, I will can ehance the code, to calculate the right angle, according the altitude difference between each waypoint; FMC will adjust the path angle, but that requires to write many XML code. So, it will be added in panel "1.10"....

The320Pilot

Post by The320Pilot »

fdd_fr wrote:
The320Pilot wrote:
Hi Carlos,

If you cannot engage ILS button, this is because FMC descent phase is not completed (STAR not completed) and you must be yet in THR IDLE mode.

ILS capture can work only when autopilot is in SPEED mode, otherwise, that will occurs problems and conflicts with the FMC code.

This is the reason why I added a security about ILS and APPR button which can work only if STAR is totally completed.

To summurize :

Conditions :
STAR --> FMC controlled descent (OP DES or DES and THR IDLE, excpet during level off when waypoint altitude constraint).
End of STAR (or descent if no STAR loaded) when :
- if a STAR is loaded : End of STAR is when Last waypoint of the STAR is reached AND Altitude of hte last STAR's waypoint is reached ; A/THR switches in SPEED mode, and DES or OP DES disappears of the FMA and becomes ALT.
- If no STAR loaded, end of descent is when aircraft reaches the "Descent target altitude" that you can change in the FMC "descent page".

Until these condition are not filled, you cannot activate ILS. So, in your case, I think that you arrives at too high altitude to capture your ILS. Or the end of your STAR is too close of the final approach.

The best sign to know if STAR/Descent is completed or not completed is : On the FMA, until STAR/Descent is not completed, you have always the "DES" or "OP DES" in green color, or "DES" in Cyan color on the second line during an STAR altitude constraint, when Autopilot switches temporally in SPEED mode.
SKBO is located at an altitude of 8360 ft, so the descent target altitude will be 11360 ft. I have to manually perform the STAR: I add the waypoints, but I fly the altitude and airspeed in selected mode. So, when I get to the ILS approach, I will be flying at either 11300 ft or 11000 ft in ALT mode and 170-180 knots in SPEED mode. So I don't really know what's the problem for the aircraft to capture the ILS.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I will test SKBO ILS because I don't understand why there is a problem..

In FSX, G/S signal can be captured at 27Nm of runway. If you are at a higher distance, only LOC signal is captured.....

I will test and come back to you.

Francois

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I am doing my first test with the new FMC feature.

Here, the cell location to enter the Gradient value :
By default, value is 3°. You can preset a value, while previous value keep active; Just click on the cell, enter your new value and wait before validate.

The new value is take in consideration only after validate by clicking on the cell.

I am doing this approach of VNKT, Runway 02 VOR approach, where we have a beginning at standard value 5.2% ( 3°), then from D13 VOR 3.7% (2.11°), after 9.3% (5.31°) from D9 VOR until D3 VOR, then 5.2% (3°) to final.

In my flight plan :
CD02 is D13 VOR
BDA is D9 VOR
30VOR is D3 VOR

Screenshots arrived....
Last edited by fdd_fr on 20 Sep 2015, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I added to FMC State page, the current Gradient used (in degrees and percent), when aircraft is in approach, updated at each change.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

All work perfectly ! Just one reading to improve on the lower ECAM (Degrees value updated to early).
Now, you can have a "FPA mode" like in managed Altitude mode during a approach, with the possibility to have several gradient value.

On picture below, I preset 2.11° value, but as I not validate (frame is always green), Current value used by FMC is used (3°)

Just passing CD02 (D13 VOR) so I validate 2.11°. See Ecam, value is take in consideration :

Preset next gradient value : 5.31°(9.7%) . See ECAM, Percent value is always the previous value (5,24%) and on the VSI, V/S is near of 800 Ft/mn, a classic rate. I have to change the degree value, because it is updated on the ECAM before validation.

Now, High gradient is activated : 5.31° 9.7 % See VSI on the PFD and ECAM readings

You can see that aircraft is very close the mountains, but all is OK

Final is perfect : I arrive at the right place, with the right angle ! Success

I have now to test the code when FMC is used without to load a Freenav approach.

Sorry for the delay, but final aircraft will be uploaded next week, but I think that tuersday or wenesday, I will upload on Freenav website the panel updated, to be sure that all is ok.

I test also, some change in flight dynamics, to improve the cruise behavior. Aircraft will have noise down a little, and cruise stablility will be improved. But I need to do some test again.

François

Prosdocimo

Post by Prosdocimo »

That's fantastic! As i was going to study these kind of approaches but your improvment now simplifies it a lot. When i tried to make a RNAV/VOR landing everytime i was too much high

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

This new variable APPR descent value will only affect legs within the approach but not during the previous STAR legs, right?

Wulf

Fliptod

Post by Fliptod »

Excellent manual Francois. Your English is quite good! These are the few mistakes I could find without trying to remove the French from Francois :)

Code: Select all

4.5.1 Arc Mode Navigation mode display unclear
4.5.2 2000 Pieds should be ft?
4.6 Main ECAM Echaust ga(s) temperature
APU Page ga(s)
HYD Page (valve)
5.3 General principles of a flight in Managed mode with FMC (TOD is a fictitious point,)
5.4.3 Load a SID (Ma pis always aircraft centered)
5.4.4  « DEPART » (fordestination)
5.4.6 « TAKE--OFF »(French section left untranslated)
Page 47 sur 113 ( “Info button” to kno haw )
Page 52 sur 113 (Here, I chose « ECON » value))
Page 53 sur 113 ( Unit (Kg  or  Lbs)  is  according  your  unit of choice  for  all  gauges)
Page 56 sur 113 ( it -(t)will be applied,)
Page 72 sur 113 (where internal space(+s) are mandatory)
Page 78 sur 113 (NOTA : )( is the time to use previous chapte(+r) )
Page 96 sur 113 (savegame files to avoid probleme)
Page 99 sur 113 (In FSX, VC is too dark at dusk) 

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

wulfbindewald wrote:This new variable APPR descent value will only affect legs within the approach but not during the previous STAR legs, right?

Wulf
Yes Wulf; Only during approach.

During STAR, actually, descent angle is calculated to maintain managed speed with Thrust to 0.

IN real life, a FMC calculates the descent path during a STAR by the altitude difference, the distance between the 2 waypoints of the Leg and take in consideration wind direction and speed, air density, temperature, aircraft gross weight, aircraft speed, aircraft altitude and aircraft profile to calculate the descent gradient ( this is used by airlines with "continuous descent" to save fuel) . The goal is that aircraft arrives at the next waypoint at the right altitude. But this is too complex for me to write the code. Too many parameters .....

Here, this new feature is only available during approach, because A/THR must be in SPEED mode (doesn't work in THR IDLE mode).

But, in the future, I will try to improve code and offer this possibility. I can do it, but with a limitation, because I can calculate a optimal leg gradient, but if the gradient is higher than the descent gradient with THR=0, aircraft will accelerate. If gradient is lower than descent path used with THR=0, I will can use A/THR to maintain speed; in this last case, code can work and can be simply to write.
Fliptod wrote:Excellent manual Francois. Your English is quite good! These are the few mistakes I could find without trying to remove the French from Francois :)

4.5.1 Arc Mode Navigation mode display unclear
4.5.2 2000 Pieds should be ft?
4.6 Main ECAM Echaust ga(s) temperature
APU Page ga(s)
HYD Page (valve)
5.3 General principles of a flight in Managed mode with FMC (TOD is a fictitious point,)
5.4.3 Load a SID (Ma pis always aircraft centered)
5.4.4  « DEPART » (fordestination)
5.4.6 « TAKE--OFF »(French section left untranslated)
Page 47 sur 113 ( “Info button” to kno haw )
Page 52 sur 113 (Here, I chose « ECON » value))
Page 53 sur 113 ( Unit (Kg  or  Lbs)  is  according  your  unit of choice  for  all  gauges)
Page 56 sur 113 ( it -(t)will be applied,)
Page 72 sur 113 (where internal space(+s) are mandatory)
Page 78 sur 113 (NOTA : )( is the time to use previous chapte(+r) )
Page 96 sur 113 (savegame files to avoid probleme)
Page 99 sur 113 (In FSX, VC is too dark at dusk) 
Hi Fliptod,

Many thanks for your help !!! I will fix manual with your report !

Thanks a lot :)

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:.....Here, this new feature is only available during approach, because A/THR must be in SPEED mode (doesn't work in THR IDLE mode).

But, in the future, I will try to improve code and offer this possibility. I can do it, but with a limitation, because I can calculate a optimal leg gradient, but if the gradient is higher than the descent gradient with THR=0, aircraft will accelerate. If gradient is lower than descent path used with THR=0, I will can use A/THR to maintain speed; in this last case, code can work and can be simply to write.
"If the gradient is higher then the AC will accelarate":
IMO the standard gliding angle with THR=0 is currently felt to be too low w/o flaps. If this can be solved with aerodyn. corrections at first then the accelaration issue will be ~solved even when the gradient is a bit higher. I guess today a forced bigger descent gradient alone will cause early flap settings in advance and more speed brake activation :( .

Today I manage and compensate this effect with modified TOD rules of the remaining distance between POD to touch down (no weather impact considered) to avoid speed brakes activation and add. hold patterns:
>FL250 : Factor 3,5 and correspond to FDD standart. Remaining distance forecast = Factor * FL/10
>FL200 : Factor 4
>FL120 : Factor 5

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

It's true that actual TOD calculation works fine if FL >= 300.

For lower FL, TOD is not perfect (because descent is not constant; Higher is the aircraft, faster is the descent). I will try to add a your factor for low FL, for Wenesday panel update.

About descent gradient, if you want formula to convert % to degres to vertical speed :

To find Vertical speed:
You must use percent, because vertical speed = ground speed * (gradient in %)

example : a standard descent is 3° (5.24%)

If your ground speed is 180 Knots, your verticale speed must be : 180 * 5.24 = 943 feet/mn

To find percent from a angle in degrees : TAN(angle in°) * 100 = Angle in percent
To find degrees from a angle in percent : ARCTAN (angle in % / 100) = Angle in degrees

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Thanks to update the TOD remaining distance. Enclosed a formular which defines a linear distribution between FL and TOD remaining distance and considers your value above FL300 ..... for your disposition:

FL >= 300 : Factor = 3.5
120 < FL < 300 : Factor = 6 - FL/120 ..... or TOD remaining distance = 0.6*FL - (FL)^2/1200
FL <= 120 : Factor = 5

These formulars are pure empiric, but easy and practical to manage.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Ok. It will be done.

Fliptod

Post by Fliptod »

Francois, I got to help out in the littlest of ways and learned a great deal while doing so. Thanks for such a well put out and concise project. Sincerest appreciation. 8-)

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Flitpod, all your report are fixed in the manual. Thanks ! ;)

I hope upload final panel in 3 or 4 hours, with TOD calculations updated with Wulf's formulas, and adjustable gradient feature for approaches.

François

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Hi Francois, only to clarify the calulation of the TOD remaining distance up to touch down should be calculated with the current philosophy:

The Factor calculation with my empiric formulas above are based on FL = FL cruise.
FL >= 300 : Factor = 3.5
120 < FL < 300 : Factor = 6 - FL/120
FL <= 120 : Factor = 5

The TOD remaining distance = Factor * delta-FL/10 = Factor * (FL cruise - FL airport altitude)/10, which should comply with your current calculation method.

Examples:
- FL = 300, FL airport altitude = 0 --> Factor = 3.5 --> TOD remaining distance = 105nm
- FL = 240, FL airport altitude = 100 --> Factor = 4 --> TOD remaining distance = 56nm
- FL = 140, FL airport altitude = 0 --> Factor = 4.83 --> TOD remaining distance = 68nm

Please remember that this are empiric formulas based on experiences with the PA320...

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi Wulf,

Sorry for the delay, as TOD gauge code is a little complex and written few month ago, I need more time to adapt. But I worked this night to finish.

Think that there is 2 types of TOD calculation, because depend if a STAR is loaded or not.

If STAR is loaded:
- "arrival reference point" is the last waypoint of the STAR (IAF)
- "Arrival reference altitude" is the altitude constraint of the last waypoint of the STAR (IAF)
So in this case, code is :

((C:XMLVARS:StringValue,string) (>L:Alt_EOF_STAR,enum)
(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) (L:Alt_EOF_STAR,enum) - (>G:Var4)
(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 30000 > if{ (G:Var4) 3.5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var5) }
12000 30000 (A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) rng if{ (G:Var4) 12000 / s1 5.8 l1 - s2 (G:Var4) l2 * 1000 / near (>G:Var5) }
(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 12000 < if{ (G:Var4) 5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var5) }
1 (>L:CruiseTODOk,bool)

That's means :
Delta = current FL in feet - Altitude in feet of the last waypoint of the STAR
If FL>300, then TOD = delta/100 * 3.5
if 120>current FL>300 then TOD = Delta/100 * (5.8 - (delta/12000)
if current FL<120 then TOD = Delta/100 * 5
(I think thzt a value of 5.7 is better than 5.8 (better linearity with FL> 300)

Example : if you fly at 29000 feet and the altitude constraint of the last waypoint of the STAR is 4000 feet then :
Delta = 29000-4000 = 25000
TOD = (25000/1000) * (5.8 - (25000/12000))
TOD = 25 * (5.8 - 2.08)
TOD = 25 *3.72 = 93 Nm before end of STAR (not destination airport)

If no STAR used :
- "Arrival reference point" is 20Nm before remaining distance to destination airport
- "Arrival reference altitude" is destination airport elevation + 3000 feet (or user value)
That's means than Delta=Current FL - (Destination airport altitude + 3000 feet) and TOD distance is based on remaining distance to airport destination - 20 Nm.

(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) (L:ArrivalAirportElevation,enum) - s0
(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 30000 > if{ l0 3.5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var6) }
12000 30000 (A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) rng if{ l0 12000 / s1 5.8 l1 - s2 l0 l2 * 1000 / near (>G:Var6) }
(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 12000 < if{ l0 5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var6) }
(G:Var6) 20 + (>G:Var6)
(L:ArrivalAirportElevation,enum) 3000 + (>L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTvalue,enum) 1 (>L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTOk,bool)

Same calculation than with a STAR; Only reference point and reference altitude are different to calculate Delta.

All the TOD gauge code :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0" id="A320_FMS_TOD">
<!--
G:Var1   = verrouillage du TOD en dessous des 200nm
G:Var2   = TOD calculer et verrouiller avec une STAR
G:Var3 = index du waypoint fin de STAR dans le plan de vol
G:Var4 = delta d'altitude entre cruise et altitude dernier waypoint de la STAR
G:Var5 = distance de descente avec STAR
G:Var6 = distance de descente sans STAR
 --> 
<Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
<Filename>A320_FMS_TOD.xml</Filename>
<SimGauge.Gauge id="A320_FMS_TOD">
<FloatPosition>0.000,0.000</FloatPosition>
<Comment id="Comment">
    <Value>TOP of Descent calculation Gauge - FD-FMC Project - A32x family Version - COPYRIGHT © FRANCOIS DORE 2014 - version 1.00  September 2015</Value>
</Comment>	
	<Update Frequency="9" id="Top Of Descent">
		<Script>
			(L:Step_FL,enum) 2 == if{ 0 (>G:Var5) 0 (>L:CruiseTODOk,bool) }
			(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 0 == (L:DEL_STAR,bool) 1 == and (L:ClimbPhase,enum) 3 == and if{ 0 (>G:Var5) 0 (>L:CruiseTODOk,bool) }

(L:TakeOffPhase,enum) 5 ==
			(L:ClimbPhase,enum) 3 == and
			(L:DescentPhase,enum) 2 < and
			(A:HSI distance, nmiles) 3.5 >= and
			(A:Autopilot Master,bool) 1 == and
			(L:FMCrun,bool) 1 == and if{
										(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) (L:ClimbFlightlevelValue,enum) 100 * 2000 - <
										(L:DistanceRemain,nmiles) 200 < and if{ 1 (>L:DescentPhase,enum) 3 (>L:Step_FL,enum) 0 (>L:CruiseWeightOk,bool) }

(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 0 ==
										(L:User_TOD,bool) 0 == and
										(L:NoSTAR_Target_ALT,bool) 0 == and
										(G:Var6) 0 == and if{
															(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) (L:ArrivalAirportElevation,enum) - s0
															(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 30000 > if{ l0 3.5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var6) }
															12000 30000 (A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) rng if{ l0 12000 / s1 5.8 l1 - s2 l0 l2 * 1000 / near (>G:Var6) }
															(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 12000 < if{ l0 5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var6) }
															(G:Var6) 20 + (>G:Var6)
															(L:ArrivalAirportElevation,enum) 3000 + (>L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTvalue,enum)
															1 (>L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTOk,bool)
															}
										(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 1 ==
										(L:User_TOD,bool) 1 == and if{ 0 (>L:User_TOD,bool) 0 (>G:Var5) 0 (>L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTOk,bool) }

(L:User_TOD,bool) 0 ==
										(L:NoSTAR_Target_ALT,bool) 0 == and
										(L:ArrivalAirportElevation,enum) 3000 + (L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTvalue,enum) < and if{ 1 (>L:User_TOD,bool) 1 (>L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTOk,bool) }

(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 0 ==
										(L:DistanceRemain,nmiles) 0 > and if{
																				(L:DistanceRemain,nmiles) (G:Var6) - (>L:CruiseTODValue,enum)
																				(L:User_TOD,bool) 0 == if{ (L:ArrivalAirportElevation,enum) 100 / near s0 l0 100 * 3000 + (>L:Alt_arrival,enum) } els{ (L:NoSTAR_Target_ALTvalue,enum) (>L:Alt_arrival,enum) }
																				(L:Alt_arrival,enum) (>L:DescentTargetAlt,feet)
																				}
										(G:Var5) 0 ==
										(L:STARNbWpt,enum) 0 > and
										(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 1 == and if{
																		(L:STARNbWpt,enum) int sp3
																		'STARWptIdent:' l3 scat (>C:XMLVARS:SearchVarName,string)

(C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointsNumber) sp2 l2 0 !=
																		(G:Var3) 0 == and if{
																							1 sp1
																							:100
																								l1 (>C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointIndex)
																								(C:XMLVARS:StringValue,string) (C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointIdent) scmi 0 == if{
																																											(C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointIndex) (>L:WPT_EOF_STAR_index,enum)
																																											(C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointsNumber) sp1
																																											}
																							l1 ++ d sp1 l1 l2 < if{ g100 }

'STARWptAltMin:' l3 scat (>C:XMLVARS:SearchVarName,string)
																							(C:XMLVARS:StringValue,string) (>L:Alt_EOF_STAR,enum)
																							(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) (L:Alt_EOF_STAR,enum) - (>G:Var4)
																							(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 30000 > if{ (G:Var4) 3.5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var5) }
																							12000 30000 (A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) rng if{ (G:Var4) 12000 / s1 5.8 l1 - s2 (G:Var4) l2 * 1000 / near (>G:Var5) }
																							(A:Autopilot Altitude Lock Var,feet) 12000 < if{ (G:Var4) 5 * 1000 / near (>G:Var5) }
																							}
																		}
										(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 1 ==
										(L:STARNbWpt,enum) 0 > and
										(L:WPT_EOF_STAR_index,enum) 0 > and
										(G:Var5) 0 > and if{
																(L:WPT_EOF_STAR_index,enum) (>C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointIndex)
																(C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointRemainingTotalDistance,nmiles) (G:Var5) - near (>L:CruiseTODValue,enum)																		 
																'STARWptAltMin:' 1 scat (>C:XMLVARS:SearchVarName,string)
																(C:XMLVARS:StringValue,string) near (>L:DescentTargetAlt,feet)
																}
										(L:Alt_arrival,enum) 0 == if{ (L:ArrivalAirportElevation,enum) 100 / near s0 l0 100 * 3000 + (>L:Alt_arrival,enum) }

(L:Knob_Alt_position,enum) 1 == if{ 0 (>G:Var5) }

(L:WPT_EOF_STAR_index,enum) (>C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointIndex)
										(C:fs9gps:FlightPlanWaypointRemainingTotalDistance,nmiles)  (>L:DIST_EOF_STAR,enum)								

(L:DescentPhase,enum) 0 ==
										(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 1 == and
										(L:CruiseTODOk,bool) 1 == and
										(L:DistanceRemain,nmiles) (L:DIST_EOF_STAR,enum) 200 + < and
										(L:CruiseTODValue,enum) 0 <= and if{ 1 (>L:DescentPhase,enum) 3 (>L:Step_FL,enum) 0 (>L:CruiseWeightOk,bool) }

(L:DescentPhase,enum) 0 ==
										1 200 (L:DistanceRemain,nmiles) rng and
										(L:CruiseTODOk,bool) 1 == and
										(L:STAR_Loaded,bool) 0 == and
										(L:CruiseTODValue,enum) 0 <= and if{ 1 (>L:DescentPhase,enum) 3 (>L:Step_FL,enum) 0 (>L:CruiseWeightOk,bool) }
										}
		(L:CruiseTODValue,enum) 0 >
		(L:DescentPhase,enum) 1 == and
		(L:ClimbPhase,enum) 3 == and if{ 0 (>L:DescentPhase,enum) }
		</Script>
	</Update>
</SimGauge.Gauge>
</SimBase.Document>

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Hi Francois, one question about your calculation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..Your comment: Delta = current FL in feet - Altitude in feet of the last waypoint of the STAR
..If FL>300, then TOD = delta/100 * 3.5
..if 120>current FL>300 then TOD = Delta/100 * (5.8 - (delta/12000)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you choose "6" instead of 5,8 then it matches perfect on both defintion boundaries and to ensure consistency w/o gap.
- Example for FL=300:
TOD = 30000/1000 * 3.5
TOD = 30000/1000 * (6 - (30000/12000) ) = 30000/1000 * 3.5 :-)

- Example for FL=120:
TOD = 30000/1000 * 5
TOD = 12000/1000 * (6 - (12000/12000) ) = 30000/1000 * 5 :-)

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

You are right ! We can simplify with one formula for all FL. Must be checked for high FL, because distance will be shorter with than previous formula.....

I will post tonight with your last solution.

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Be carefull, you will need the 3 formulas and you have to define depending on the FL which one is valid. So you have to work with "if - then do ...".
I´m not an xml expert, but I´m sure you have done such query already many times in your panel definition.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I think that can work with one formula.

"/ 12000" create an offset.

TOD = (Delta / 1000 ) * (6 - (delta / 12000) )

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

By security, 2 formula, to avoid to have a too high decreased value at very high FL

FL > 30000 : TOD = delta / 1000 * 3.5
FL<=30000 : TOD = (Delta / 1000 ) * (6 - (delta / 12000) )

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:By security, 2 formula, to avoid to have a too high decreased value at very high FL

FL > 30000 : TOD = delta / 1000 * 3.5
FL<=30000 : TOD = (Delta / 1000 ) * (6 - (delta / 12000) )
ok, as the values below FL120 are less relevant.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Panel update is online ; Version 0.99d, for CFM version only !! : http://freenavdbgroup.com/download/Pane ... 20only.zip

Please note :
A320FD_FMC.cab gauge 0.99d can work with your actual IAE panel 0.99a version; In this case, only the FMA bugs will not fixed.

What's change :
-------------------

- New TOD calculation : Now, TOD is adaptative according your current FL and aircraft descent performance
- Fix some reading bugs on the FMA (in FPA mode)
- Add a new feature which allow to chose the gradient value during an approach (when an Freenav Approach is used) . In FMC approach page, you can enter your own gradient value. Value is take in consideration only when you validate your input. You can use several value during an approach (when each leg of the approach has a different angle). This feature works for RNAV, VOR, NDB and LOC approaches.
- New version of the FMC save datafile. Old data save files are compatible
- Fix some minors bugs
- This is the last version before release.

Note :
FMC gradient adjust value works only if a Freenav Approach is loaded; Because this feature is used only in Managed mode during approach. In no approach loaded, you can use the FPA mode in selected altitude mode.
New TOD calculation must be tested.

New Aircraft.cfg setting :
You can test new setting in AIRCRAFT.CFG file, to improve Cruise behavior (nose down) with a change of gravity center and a better stability of the aircraft during cruise (stop to play Dolphin).

Do a backup of your actual Aircraft .cfg file and replace the following 2 complete sections (WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE et FLIGHT_TUNING):
[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
//A320-100/200 AIRBUS CODE WV011 CFM Engines config by Francois Dore - june 2012
// MRW = 75900 - 167331
// MTOW = 75500 - 166449
// MLW = 66000 - 145505
//
//Pax Zonings - Two class Cabin - 12 first class seats - 138 Tourists class - toatal = 150 pax
// 150 pax + 2 pilots + 4 crew - 21323 Lbs - 9672kg 62kg/pass
max_number_of_stations = 9
station_load.0= 5467, 36.24, 0.000, 0.000, Front seats(40)
station_load.1= 6834, 3.33, 0.000, 0.000, Center seats(50)
station_load.2= 6560, -26.34, 0.000, 0.000, Rear Seats(48)
station_load.3= 340, 44.55, 0.000, 0.000, Pilots(2)
station_load.4= 530, 0.00, 0.000, 0.000, Crew(4)

//Cargo & Baggage
// luggages 20 kg/passenger 6614 lbs - 3000kg -- fret = 2740 lbs
station_load.5= "4140, 30.10, 0.000, 0.000, Carg/Lugg Front" //Compartment 1 (7500lbs)
station_load.6= "3110, -11.99, 0.000, 0.000, Carg/Lugg Ctr 1" //Compartment 3 (5349lbs)
station_load.7= "1324, -22.67, 0.000, 0.000, Carg/Lugg Ctr 2" //Compartment 4 (4652lbs)
station_load.8= "780, -33.11, 0.000, 0.000, Carg/Lugg Rear" //Compartment 5 (3300lbs)

//Basic Weight 42637 kgs | 93998 lb
//Crew 3/4(1 OBS)= 520 kgs | 1146 lbs
//Pantry Wgt Sector- DOM= 570 kgs | 1257 lbs
//-----------------------------------------------------------
//Dry Operating Weight/Index= 43727 kgs | 96401 lbs 56.5
//-----------------------------------------------------------
//"weights in kilos"
//ZFWCG/MACZFW= 31.8% / 56.7

empty_weight=90927 // CFM version
empty_weight_roll_MOI=959904.000000
empty_weight_pitch_MOI=1710000.000000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI=1230000.000000
empty_weight_coupled_MOI=0.000000
max_gross_weight=167331 //MRW Max ramp Weight 75 900 kg
reference_datum_position=0.0000,0.000000,0.000000
empty_weight_CG_position=0.63,0.000000,0.000000
CG_forward_limit=0.18
CG_aft_limit=0.40

//Weight & Balance prepared by PB. (Version 179 Y)
// Weight & Balance revised by Fdd with Airbus.com A320-WV011 A320 100-200 CFM engines version

[flight_tuning]
elevator_effectiveness=1.0
pitch_stability=1.5 // 1.2
roll_stability=1.0
yaw_stability=1.0
aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.1
cruise_lift_scalar=1.0
parasite_drag_scalar=1.0
induced_drag_scalar=1.0

Thanks for your report

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Hi Francois, just spot checked panel CFM 0,99d.

The approach gradient value in the cell shows at first 0°. I remember that we agreed to set by default -3° in the cell because most of flights and approaches will be -3°. Gradient modification if necessary.

TOD distance under check, but first impression is
- w/o Star: distance ok and potential to reduce the +20 nm to +15 nm
- w. Star and ILS: FL150, distance fits fine
- w. Star and LOC RNAV-08 from Sitka to Junaeu: FL140, distance does not fit. TOD remaining distance only 60 nm! Absolutly minimum awaited 70 nm. Approach only managable with hold pattern or breaks. Why?

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I am at my office. I will check this afternoon.

About default approach gradient value, have you load an approach ?

This feature works only when approach loaded, because when you have no approach loaded, Autopilot switches in selected altitude mode and you must use V/S knob to select your V/S or FPA. When no approach, no altitude known during approach, so managed descent is not possible.

No approach loaded => no managed altitude approach mode (no target altitude known for each step of the approach).

About PAJN, end of STAR are at high altitude (8400 and 9000 feet according STAR). THis is the reason why TOD is at a short distance.

So, when you come from East, to land runway 08, I believe that you have a mandatory holding pattern to turn back. I will check this evening.

Ok to decrease value without STAR

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote: About default approach gradient value, have you load an approach ?

This feature works only when approach loaded, because when you have no approach loaded, Autopilot switches in selected altitude mode and you must use V/S knob to select your V/S or FPA. When no approach, no altitude known during approach, so managed descent is not possible.
Yes, I´ve selected an approach. I´m missing the default value -3° in the cell, please see my arguments in my previous mail.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I will check this afternoon, Wulf.

Edit : Have you start a new flight, or have you start your flight with a savegame flight ?

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:I will check this afternoon, Wulf.

Edit : Have you start a new flight, or have you start your flight with a savegame flight ?
new flight with a new flightplan

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote:About PAJN, end of STAR are at high altitude (8400 and 9000 feet according STAR). THis is the reason why TOD is at a short distance.
So, when you come from East, to land runway 08, I believe that you have a mandatory holding pattern to turn back. I will check this evening.

Ok to decrease value without STAR
Panel 0,99d and TOD:
Ok, so I made some further flight tests descending/approaching to
- PAJN (SSR STAR entry at 8400ft; representative airport at sealevel) and
- KJAC (DNW STAR entry at 16000ft; represantativ airport at medium altitude).
Conclusion for use with STAR´s: The new given formula works well as long as delta FL >= 6000 ft. It is the first time not to use speed breaks :) .

A feedback from other users would be appreciated.

I am doing some TOD factor investigations for delta FL < 6000ft. A third formula will be provided after testing .... for the future ;) .

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Wulf, I think that an A320 do not flights with a cruise level below 6000 feet !

About gradient value, error found Wulf ! It appears only with a new flight. I am fixing it and post A320FD_FMC.cab file update