A330-A340 project

Morhaf

A330-A340 project

Post by Morhaf »

Hi everyone, this is my first time here on this forum, and I'dd like to share the progress of my a340-300 project. I've been working on it since 1 August 2010, and its for promotional purpose (video, photo etc.) for virtual airline(s). It could be compatible with FS cuz its probably frame rate friendly, but I don't know how to do all the coding and stuff, and I probably won't get into that soon, but let's just finish the model first shall we?

I actually started in december last year with the nose, but I dumped that in januari, and restarted in august. You can see the progress I made here on posky too. LINK

so I made the nose, fuselage, tail, horz. stabilizer, engine, winglet and wing with slats cut and flap kanoes, but no flaps yet.
textures belong to the posky a343, they are not mine. I used them for making the wingroot and wing shape.

so here's some rendered images (beauty at its best): (uploaded on posky's forum)
and some wireframe (with shading) shots:
btw I use cinema 4d for modelling, not gmax, but I can convert it to almost any type in c4d.

enjoy. any comment, help, critisism, advice, all is welcome.

Morhaf
_
Last edited by Morhaf on 06 Apr 2013, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.

GaryG

Re: A340-300 project

Post by GaryG »

Looks like you listened to grainboundary there.....

Good to have you here... a little question.

Are you sure about the wingtip?

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

GaryG wrote:Looks like you listened to grainboundary there.....
yes I did, and since project airbus probably makes airbusses :mrgreen: I thought this would be a good place for i.e. pointing things out that are off.
GaryG wrote: Good to have you here... a little question.

Are you sure about the wingtip?
and there is my first pointer :)

how did you know it was so wayy off? I didnt even know .. :shock: its like you had the source file :o

Well, I see I have too many vertex as well, so I'll be working on it. Thanks for pointing out, I didnt really know how to make the wingtip so I just did something..

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Well, being an airbus fan... I can see that somethings are not so much in place... however I think that it wasn't hard to spot.

Good luck.... let's have a good A340 for fs :D

Regards

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

ah seeing you're an airbus fan, did you notice there are 2 different fuel-dump-flapkanoes on the a340-313X's, like with SWISS? just see the pics below! one has the same kano as the most outer moveable one, and the other has the same as the most inner kano of the outboard flap..

so.. which one do I model? :|
HB-JMB
HB-JMD
even on the same plane the kano is different:
HB-JMG right side
HB-JMG left side
pictures from Airliners.net

so what do you think? :?

esg

Post by esg »

Morhaf wrote: even on the same plane the kano is different:
HB-JMG right side
HB-JMG left side
pictures from Airliners.net

so what do you think? :?
I think they're different on each side. The right one's probably housing the RAT

The tip of the h stab doesn't look right to me either

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

thanks. sry for late reply, but I didnt have much time lately because of school and hunger and sleep in Ramadan.

so I looked at the hor. stab, and I think you're right. I also used quite some polys on that, so I will reduce that to.

meanwhile I reduced polycount on the wingtip, and cleaned it up a little, but its not finished as I didnt look at the front view..

and another thing, I'm affraid the wing is wrong, I put the posky wing texture on it (projection painting, not UV Mapping) but it didnt allign at all, so I had to rotate it some degrees, but it still doesnt fit with the angle of the trailing edge and its not long enough??

I think they used this PDF (page 84) for the wing, where the wing is drawn at a 25 degree angle, while on the airbus website it says the wing sweep is 30 degrees (I had 25 before, and changed it to 30) so the texture obviously doesnt fit my wing, but wich one is wrong? my wing with posky texures (rotated);

regards.

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

ok I kinda remade the wingtip, by welding those vertex. I think its better now, but I have smoothing issues when the smoothing angle is more than 35 degrees. but that isnt a problem when keeping the angle at 35.

click on the image for the full picture

btw is the winglet any good? :?

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

thanks for the tip, I will look into it, I made a list of everything I need to correct, cut and model, so I hopefully won't forget it.

here are some updates I also posted on POSKY forum.

(shaded) wireframe of latest nose (wich is actually old, but I didnt post any pictures of it when I finished it) :

and I remade the engine blades (kinda) amd corrected the engine itself aswell, and copied it to make engine nr. 1 (with corrected pylon) and I moved the slat's end more towards the wingtip. I also closed the hole where I cut the flaps.

btw do you think the wingroot is fat? :( I didnt really use a 3view for it.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Nice progress, keep searching perfection !

esg

Post by esg »

Should probably work on the tip of the radome; the A330/A340's is very distinctive

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Hainan-A ... 1650725/L/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates ... 1257532/L/

Don't think you've cut the front cockpit windows right either

Thickfog

Post by Thickfog »

Very nice...it looks very detailed :)

Xpand

Post by Xpand »

I agree! I especially like the engine's fan detail.

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

thanks, Here's she after I corrected the window:

If anyone sees some other errors(, except for the pylon of engine #1 which I corrected after I made this picture) please just say it.

Air Berlin

Post by Air Berlin »

i'm liking yout project, please keep it up ..could be a awesome a340 !

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

anyone know how the inner organs of the CFM 56 5C4 /P engine look like? this is what I'm at:

p.s thank you everyone for helping and for your comments ;)

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

Google yields many good images, some examples:

http://www.sae.org/aeromag/techupdate/10-2001/04.gif
http://st.blinkenarea.org/ila-2006/orig ... m56-5c.jpg

The CFM site has some info as well: http://www.cfm56.com/products/cfm56-5c

Keep it up!

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

thanks for those, I corrected it for most parts.

here's a little update. I repainted everything in SWISS colors again, but this time the textures came out very high quality!
oh and I corrected the wing, engine (not finished), and some minor corrections.

and here's a rendered 3-view

if anyone sees something's wrong (like the engine nacalle) please say it so I know what to add in my TO-DO list
Last edited by Morhaf on 06 Apr 2013, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

fleet.man

Post by fleet.man »

Woww, amazing project, nice donne. This type was not my favorit, but now I see your project it wil begin to interest me to fly this big plane. Keep it on, good work.

Grtz
Timo

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

fleet.man wrote:Woww, amazing project, nice donne. This type was not my favorit, but now I see your project it wil begin to interest me to fly this big plane. Keep it on, good work.

Grtz
Timo
He said it won't be for fs :(

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

GaryG wrote:
fleet.man wrote:Woww, amazing project, nice donne. This type was not my favorit, but now I see your project it wil begin to interest me to fly this big plane. Keep it on, good work.

Grtz
Timo
He said it won't be for fs :(
yes for now it will only be used for promotion media for VA's, but if the result is nice I might donate it to Pairbus or POSKY or something, then you can work on scripting, cuz I don't know anything about it, and I dont really have the time for that.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Well, I'm sure that it will exceed the polygon limit. I've used an aircraft that breaks the poly-limit for fs9 and the 4mm weld. Trust me, it behaved worst than fsx.

It's true, I've experienced it.

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

GaryG wrote:Well, I'm sure that it will exceed the polygon limit. I've used an aircraft that breaks the poly-limit for fs9 and the 4mm weld. Trust me, it behaved worst than fsx.

It's true, I've experienced it.
well I am using a lot of poly's for little details that can be reduced, and I am looking into reducing the polycount on the h. stab.
fact is, it has to look good on screen. If I finish the model, I can always reduce the poly count to make it more practical for FS.

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

little update: slats detached and together with spoilers and flaps test animated.

and with the old animated kanoes:

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

oy I almost forget to post the updates here!

well here is the mesh with everything mirrored to the other side:

and here's a teaser I made for Swiss VirtualAirline:

enjoy

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

The modeling is extremely good.

Regards

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

GaryG wrote:The modeling is extremely good.

Regards
thanks, do you like the effect on the swiss tail? :mrgreen: im thinking of using it in the video :)

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

To be honest...I think the effects are a bit exaggerated, but the model is awesome and that means that the hardest part is over, I guess

Regards

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

GaryG wrote:To be honest...I think the effects are a bit exaggerated, but the model is awesome and that means that the hardest part is over, I guess

Regards

I know, I did that to hide the untextured wing and engines, and just to give it some spice. I mean, the original render wasn't really exciting:

plus there are some weird pixels / blocks all around the image, I dont know where they come from.. but the blur took care of that. ;)

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

little update, I modelled the discharges and the canoe thats on the engine pylon but theres a smoothing problem with it.

help appreciated, more to follow shortly

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

Here's an update:

I finished the engines (exterior, need to add few things inside), made the dischargers, finished the pylons and the canoe on the last pylon, modeled the flaps and ailerons (ailerons are still one object in this picture) finished the wingroot, now I'll be working on the canoes, slats, and landing gear doors.

wish me luck :D

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

good news everyone!

engines are DONE :D

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hooray :D

Just asking....is the vortex generator on the engine, that tiny sharklet, ok with the design?

Looks a bit too sharp.

Nice job on the blade modeling :D

Regards

Xpand

Post by Xpand »

Wooza!!

It's great, but I agree with Gary, that seems a bit too sharp... Maybe it's the render's fault...

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

okay thanks, I think its better now:

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

looks far superior.. congrats

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

thanks Gary,

now, I cut, modelled, and for some reason also animated the spoilers.

next is the canoes, then landing gear doors ;) then those little details on the bottom and front. :mrgreen:

B.M

Post by B.M »

nice, realy nice, but the spoilers should open a little bit higher....i think
can't wait to see the gears :)

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

B.M wrote:nice, realy nice, but the spoilers should open a little bit higher....i think
can't wait to see the gears :)
thanks for the tip, but the animation is just for show-off, cuz when I export to OBJ and import in maya, all the pivot's will be placed in the centre of the scene :x
so I'll have to do the animation again in maya.
and also, I don't have time now to make the landing gear, and I won't need them now, but I'll need the gear doors though, so I'll just make those quickly.

that said, I finished one canoe :mrgreen: I think.. well im not gonna spend another 3 months correcting that thing, I'm just gonna copy it to make those others.
I also added those things on the flaps that go in the canoe's

model should be finished by tomorrow. then I'll start the textures and rigging. :)

B.M

Post by B.M »

wow, so the model is excellent !
so, the only thing to do is the Gear and the gear door + animation ^^
and you want to export it into a OBJ format, so you can use it for example in a clip right ?
but what is the format for FS ?
good luck !

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

B.M wrote:wow, so the model is excellent !
so, the only thing to do is the Gear and the gear door + animation ^^
and you want to export it into a OBJ format, so you can use it for example in a clip right ?
but what is the format for FS ?
good luck !
I think the format for FS is .MDL but for that I probably need to convert it from Gmax, and that conversion could mess the model up, because MAX has triangulated polygons, and c4d doesnt (necessarily) so that could make the poly's face the wrong direction or something.

anyhow, here's an update. I fixed the smoothing problems on the canoes, and I think its ready now.

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

i think you need to relook at the engine's canoe.. something about the edge shape isnt correct to me. i havent researched it myself though.. but take a look.

The edges of the engine canoe seem too sharp.

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

Tranceaddict wrote:i think you need to relook at the engine's canoe.. something about the edge shape isnt correct to me. i havent researched it myself though.. but take a look.

The edges of the engine canoe seem too sharp.
I think the edges are OK, but the top of the canoe seems to be hole instead of flat, and if I try to make it flat again, it gets smoothing issues again :?

well, I'm gonna look at that again now, meanwhile I have the slats ready aswell, and the flaps are now longer.

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

update:

all the canoes are modelled!

off to modeling the fuel dump tube, and all those little details on the bottom and on the nose :D

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Keep it up mate :)

anels9

Post by anels9 »

So will this be for FS or not??

FLYPHOENIX

Post by FLYPHOENIX »

no offence since you havnt posted on this post yet, first compliment and then ask Q's anels9 - it's just politness ;)

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Apart from what FLYPHOENIX said, it is already explained in the forums.

FLYPHOENIX

Post by FLYPHOENIX »

Yeah, plus sorry gary, you can call me tom ;)