A380 VAS VC Questions

Forum rules
Community-driven support for Project Airbus aircraft only.

Please read the pinned topics and search the forum before posting to make sure your question's not already been answered.
TheFlyingScotsman

A380 VAS VC Questions

Post by TheFlyingScotsman »

Hi all,

I accidentally stumbled on PA380 last night on YouTube, after downloading it I am honestly blown away by how 'good' it looks its by far the best looking aircraft I've ever seen in Flight Sim... well done chaps!!!!

However I am struggling to figure out the cockpit and the systems. I have 100s of hours flying 777s (PSS) and working with the Boeing FMC... my housemate is also a 738 pilot in real life for Ryan Air but between both of us we can't answer some of these key questions and hoped you guys can help.

Where to enter the fuel figures in the FMC to get the performance speeds v1 vr etc..?
How to engage LNAV after takeoff so the autopilot follows the route set?
Are there any online tutorials for the PA830 working with the VASFMC system?

I have downloaded the updated Airac from the link on the downloads page.. my routes come back from the ACARS system ok for EGCC-OMDB however the EGKK-OMDB routes comes up with an error saying an airway was not found.. anyway I can look at fixing this? (sorry I have no idea if you can or cannot enter all your points manually into the fmc on the 380)

I will be 100% this is the first Airbus I have ever flown so its not going to well so far... I'm still in Boeing mode looking for stuff and numbers so sorry in advance if this is basic, although I am very much looking forward to getting to know the A380 in much more detail and plan to be flying it for a long time on VATSIM!

Many thanks

Gareth

esg

Re: A380 VAS VC Questions

Post by esg »

Where to enter the fuel figures in the FMC to get the performance speeds v1 vr etc..?
2nd INIT page iirc, goes away once you've started the engines
How to engage LNAV after takeoff so the autopilot follows the route set?
Push (left click on) the HDG knob in so that there'll be 3 dashes and a dot on the display above it
Are there any online tutorials for the PA830 working with the VASFMC system?
There used to be a tutorial for VAS, but they've taken their website offline. It might be bundled with the installer; I can't quite remember. Take a look inside the VAS folder
I have downloaded the updated Airac from the link on the downloads page.. my routes come back from the ACARS system ok for EGCC-OMDB however the EGKK-OMDB routes comes up with an error saying an airway was not found.. anyway I can look at fixing this? (sorry I have no idea if you can or cannot enter all your points manually into the fmc on the 380)
Dunno why it'd do that, but yes, you can enter the points manually

TheFlyingScotsman

esg thanks for your help sir!

When you get your numbers (v1 etc) are they displayed on the speed indicator or do you have to remember them and rotate at the Vr given etc|

Also....I have been reading a bit on this forum about a 2D panel and there seems to be some debate on the best one to use... ideally I'd like a 2D panel that compliments the VC ie can access all the systems on the VC side is this possible to have?

As I mentioned most of my virtual career has been on Boeing aircraft so this is totally new to me, what I like to do in the PSS 777 is do all my fmc stuff in the 2d cockpit and then sit in the VC for the flight something which I was hoping to be able to do in the A380. I'll be spending the next few days getting used to the aircraft and its systems with some flights on VATSIM (Gareth Moore 884009) so hopefully I wont need to ask so many questions after some air time :)

Thanks again

esg

Post by esg »

When you get your numbers (v1 etc) are they displayed on the speed indicator or do you have to remember them and rotate at the Vr given etc|
They are displayed on the speed tape
Also....I have been reading a bit on this forum about a 2D panel and there seems to be some debate on the best one to use... ideally I'd like a 2D panel that compliments the VC ie can access all the systems on the VC side is this possible to have?
VAS/Ken Mitchell. I don't know where you'd find it now, unfortunately

Derek Mayer

Post by Derek Mayer »

TheFlyingScotsman wrote:I have downloaded the updated Airac from the link on the downloads page.. my routes come back from the ACARS system ok for EGCC-OMDB however the EGKK-OMDB routes comes up with an error saying an airway was not found.. anyway I can look at fixing this?
The AIRAC cycle on our download page is cycle 0609 so it's over 2 years old by now. You'd need to purchase an updated cycle from Navigraph if you wanted up to date airways and such.

Hope this helps!

esg

Post by esg »

Actually, I think it's years first? So that'd be over 5yo. lol

TheFlyingScotsman

Thanks Derek I will get on that today!

I follow ESG's advice regarding entering the fuel weight on the second init page...... however I have tried this twice and FS9 crashes when I try to enter the fuel weight giving error - C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\cf6b_appcompat.txt
AppName: fs9.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.40901 ModName: vasfmcgau.gau
ModVer: 2.0.0.0 Offset: 001f9c46

Anyone have any idea what this is caused by?

esg

Post by esg »

VAS 2.1 is a bit buggy, try clearing the cache in the VAS folder. If all else fails, grab 2.09. It's on flightsim.com

TheFlyingScotsman

Guys just want to reiterate how grateful I am for your help, however I am still having some problems and have to bug you again.

As per your advice ESG I downloaded and installed VAS 2.09 but now when I load into the cockpit the EICAS gauges are set for a two engined aircraft I have no engines 3 and 4 displaying on it. I have selected the Project Airbus 380 from the ACARS menu but Im not sure if I am confirming it correctly as the writing remains in Blue should it chance to green when confirmed?

I'll get there eventually, I intend to stick in till I have this nailed.... she's far to good looking to just give up on due to some technical snags

TheFlyingScotsman

I ve just taken off from Gatwick.. as soon as the wheels left the ground this really annoying 'Ping' sound has started sounding constantly and I have no idea what its for... I am pretty confident the aircraft is set up correctly at least with regards to LNAV and VNAV as I m following my route and climbing to cruise however this 'Ping' noise is still sounding!!

esg

Post by esg »

Might be the gear horn, make sure youve got the latest package from our website: http://www.pairbus.com/downloads#a380
As per your advice ESG I downloaded and installed VAS 2.09 but now when I load into the cockpit the EICAS gauges are set for a two engined aircraft I have no engines 3 and 4 displaying on it. I have selected the Project Airbus 380 from the ACARS menu but Im not sure if I am confirming it correctly as the writing remains in Blue should it chance to green when confirmed?
Yeah, I'm afraid theres no 4 engine option on 2.09

TheFlyingScotsman

I downloaded the base package yesterday so I think I have the up to date version.

I eventually had to exit the flight as the noise was intolerable after about 30 I wanted to scream... I also thought it might be the gear horn I checked external view to confirm the gear was up I also cycled it after the horn had been going for 10 mins... I lowered then raised the gear however the noise did not stop.

Should I try reinstalling the package again... since I have installed VAS 2.09??

esg

Post by esg »

I guess. Ive no idea what it might be

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Did you set the altitude in the autopilot prior to takeoff? Usually that's the culprit.

TheFlyingScotsman

Gary yes sir I did... the a/p was on profile climbing on the route I had set out of Gatwick but like I mentioned as soon as the wheels left the ground this really annoying ping noise started as if the gear was not down for landing.

I only found PA yesterday so I'm a total newbie but again I am determined to stick it out and get this bird working.

I am going to try a reinstall later on to see if that will fix it.

I am a member of the virtual Royal Air Force and at the moment I'm over the Pacifc moving some frieght in a C-17 Globemaster so when I get down on the ground I will see if a reinstall fixes it then come back to you.

Again thanks for all your help so far.. hopefully the end is in sight

TheFlyingScotsman

Hi guys!

Quick update for those who have helped me along so far... Happily... I have it working!!! :D

I reinstalled VASFMC and found a handy YouTube tutorial. Currently airborne flying OMDB-EGKK without any warnings sounding and on profile.

I have a question regarding the FMGC flight levels in Flight Plan mode.... When I adjust my cruise altitude it does not change it for all the other way points further along the route. I have just completed my step climb to FL430 now flying at the OPT given by the PROG page. I have selected FL430 on the PROG page in the top left where it says FL I have also set it in the autopilot but have had to manually enter it on the waypoints in FlightPlan mode on the FMGC... any other way around this gents?

Thanks again

esg

Post by esg »

Uum, tried changing it on the INIT page?

TheFlyingScotsman

I did before departure however I cannot access the INIT page in flight (is that normal?) What I'm trying to do is change the cruise alt that I set on the ground in the INIT page so it changes it for every waypoint along my cruise until T/D