Mouse wheel as throttle

Forum rules
Community-driven support for Project Airbus aircraft only.

Please read the pinned topics and search the forum before posting to make sure your question's not already been answered.
jensi76pa380

Mouse wheel as throttle

Post by jensi76pa380 »

Dear community,

Since the resolution of my joystick throttle is not very sufficient i would like to use my mouse wheel for controlling the throttle. I use Windows XP, FS9, PA380 and vasfmc in airbus mode.

The thing is:
I would like to overwrite the joystick trottle axis with my mouse wheel position in Windows XP since I want to have the real airbus autothrust behaviour with vasfmc!

How can I achieve this? Is there a small Windows XP freeware tool?

E.g. this tool should be able to set the number of wheel rotations for mapping the entire thrust range.

Are there any other possibilities to use the mouse wheel as a throttle (for vasfmc airbus autothrust)?

I do NOT want to put the mouse over a certain gauge or over the VC throttle. -> I want to directly overwrite the joystick axle value (before Windows XP sends this value to vasfmc).

Thank you so much for helping me.

Kind regards
jensi76pa380

jensi76pa380

Re: Mouse wheel as throttle

Post by jensi76pa380 »

Nobody has answered.

As fas as I could analyze this topic, vasfmc directly takes the joystick throttle axle value from Windows XP - i.e. vasfmc does NOT take the throttle value from FS9.

How can I overwrite the Windows XP joystick throttle axle value?

=> I need something like a "virtual joystick axle".

Please help me.

lmhariano

Post by lmhariano »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this may work:

Keyboard Throttle Solution (for the Aerosoft Airbus X)
http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/to ... -solution/

This would work in FSX, but I'm not sure if it works with FS9. Well, it should: I see nothing requiring Simconnect or anything similar. Hope this helps.

Best regards from Colombia,
Luis Miguel

lmhariano

Post by lmhariano »

Sorry again for necroing, but yesterday I've found another solution. For this, you'll need the following:

- vJoy (the one from Shaul, not Headsoft): available at http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/
- FreePIE: available at http://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/. Download the MSI.
- A registered version of FSUIPC and a good knowledge of it. Specifically, you need to know how to create profiles, how to assign axes, and how to map keypresses to buttons.

1) Install vJoy and FreePIE. Reboot when prompted.

2) In vJoy, (Start>All programs>vJoy>Configure vJoy), for Device 1, uncheck everything but the Slider axis, as shown here.
No POVs, no buttons will be added. Press Apply.

3) In FreePIE, create a new script (File>New...). Then, paste the following code:

Code: Select all

if starting:
	senP = 32
	min = 0
	max = 32768
	thr = min

if keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.F3):
	thr = thr + senP

if keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.F2):
	thr = thr - senP

if keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.F1):
	thr = min

if (thr > max):
   thr = max

vJoy[0].slider = thr
4) Save this script somewhere where you'll remember. You will need to load this script everytime you fly with vasFMC.

5) Run this script, either by pressing F5 or going to Script>Run script. When running this script, you will use F3 for increasing throttle, F2 for reducing it, and F1 for setting throttle to idle.

6) Open FSUIPC.ini. Search for a line that says AxesWrongRange, change the No for a Yes. It must read "AxesWrongRange=Yes".

7) In FS, go to Controls>Assignments and remove all assignments to the vJoy joystick only. Save changes.

8) In FSUIPC, create a new Profile. You will use it for all the Airbus aircraft with vasFMC panel.

9) In FSUIPC, go to Axis Assignment, press F2 or F3 (you're moving the virtual axis you created in step 2) and assign it directly to Throttle.

10) Then, go to Joystick Calibration. Press F1, F2, or F3, and check that in Throttle (direct!) there is a variation in both IN and OUT values.

11) (optional) In FSUIPC, go to Buttons+Switches, and assign a button for sending F1, F2 and F3. This will enable you to use the throttle from your controller.

12) Press OK to save all changes.

Now, each time you want to fly with vasFMC, you'll need to open FreePIE, load the script you saved and then run it. I've tried this method in vasFMC gauge version for FS9 only. I haven't tested with vasFMC FSX gauge version (if there's such) or with Aerosoft Airbus (which faces the same problem). I hope you may find this useful (even if it has taken almost 4 years).