PA A320 won't work in S.A.M.M.

Forum rules
Community-driven support for Project Airbus aircraft only.

Please read the pinned topics and search the forum before posting to make sure your question's not already been answered.
B3 Burner

PA A320 won't work in S.A.M.M.

Post by B3 Burner »

I know it's not the optimal choice, but I've been successful doing so with other "user" aircraft, and I thought at the very least (lousy frame rates or not) it should work.

I'm talking about using the Project Airbus A320-2xx series aircraft as static aircraft models to create using SAMM (static aircraft model maker).

I've followed all the instructions in SAMM and have been successful in many other aircraft, yet the PA ones seem to be stymieing me. Is it because Project Airbus has some code or "block" in its files that prevent one from making static aircraft from its planes? If so, what is so different about the design of your aircraft that makes "stati-cizing" them undoable?

Also I notice that Project Airbus aircraft have very short xxx.air files, with hardly any air-file line entries in them. There is no line 105... it stops at line 104 for a great deal of them. I'm wondering if the lack of a line 105 (declaring an aircraft user vs. AI) might be one of the reasons why the aircraft cannot be turned into static ones using SAMM? Also, how is it that your aircraft are able to get away with having such little data in the air file? Is it that, that data is now represented in the aircraft.cfg and .mdl files instead?

Any input to help would be appreciated. Just as a side note-- I have no intentions of turning PA aircraft into static ones, to upload with scenery to the internet with my name on it. It's just for my own personal use at home, and while I know an AI selection would be a better choice, I simply am curious why it might not be working.

Thank you,

-- John

B3 Burner

Re: PA A320 won't work in S.A.M.M.

Post by B3 Burner »

Okay I found the solution! It was an insidious little bugger, because it was easy to overlook, hard to find, but ultimately would do in any attempt to display a static aircraft model.

The problem was a period (.), sitting in the " Title = " line of the plane's aircraft.cfg file.

When using SAMM for model making, the program will lift the title of the aircraft in the .cfg file, and use it as the name of the .bgl file in SAMM's scenery folder, as well as for the name of the texture folder. A period in the name of a folder is not a big deal, but a 2nd period in front of .bgl (in a file) is the kiss of death for a scenery file after compilation. The static aircraft simply would not display no matter how hard I tried.

But when I went into the aircraft's .cfg file, removed the period from the title= line, saved it, refired up SAMM and called up the aircraft again without the period, and compiled it... it created a .bgl with no additional periods, and then the aircraft displayed just fine after compilation.

I hope this serves to maybe help others who ever want to use Project Airbus planes as static aircraft... though, yes... you're right... an AI selection would probably be better.

-- John