A380 roll rate

Forum rules
Community-driven support for Project Airbus aircraft only.

Please read the pinned topics and search the forum before posting to make sure your question's not already been answered.
Simpilot767

A380 roll rate

Post by Simpilot767 »

Hi captains,

i was allowed to fly the "real" A380 for an hour in a brand new Full Flight Simulator of Lufthansa Flight Training this february
and was very surprised that the flight dynamics are very harmonically and very similar even to the A32X-family.
I really love the PA airbus but i´m convinced that the roll rate is way too high. It reminds me of an Extra or Pitts...
Furthermore the deflections of all control surfaces are too intense during normal flight operations.
I think i have read in the A320 FCOM that the roll rate is limited to 15 or 18 degrees max. So the A380 shouldn´t
have more. If I find the original FCOM info i will post it...

Thanks and regards,

Timo

AirNewZealand_A320

Re: A380 roll rate

Post by AirNewZealand_A320 »

Thats an Easy Fix in the Aircraft.Cfg.

Tranceaddict

Post by Tranceaddict »

Simpilot767 wrote:Hi captains,

i was allowed to fly the "real" A380 for an hour in a brand new Full Flight Simulator of Lufthansa Flight Training this february
and was very surprised that the flight dynamics are very harmonically and very similar even to the A32X-family.
I really love the PA airbus but i´m convinced that the roll rate is way too high. It reminds me of an Extra or Pitts...
Furthermore the deflections of all control surfaces are too intense during normal flight operations.
I think i have read in the A320 FCOM that the roll rate is limited to 15 or 18 degrees max. So the A380 shouldn´t
have more. If I find the original FCOM info i will post it...

Thanks and regards,

Timo
You did? wow.. considering LHFT only recently got their full motion simulator for the 380.. you must be really quite lucky to get a slot there.

Nevertheless, thanks for your feedback.. if you could indeed direct us to more detailed info, it would be great.

Simpilot767

Post by Simpilot767 »

The A380 sim during construction works in november 2009:
(I made this picture while waiting for entering the 744 sim right next to it)

The finished sim in february 2010, two weeks before the "real" crews" started their training:
(in this time, the sim was little used, so it was easy to get a slot, but at the time beeing it´s
quite more difficult, because so many pilots are getting their type rating now)

Lucky me on final 07L to VHHH:
(the internal database was still not complete, so i had to fly in asia,
otherwise i would have tried some patterns in Madeira ;) )

I´m really looking forward to your VC! Great job, PA!

Timo
Last edited by Simpilot767 on 25 Jul 2010, 10:47, edited 2 times in total.

AirNewZealand_A320

Post by AirNewZealand_A320 »

I see nothing...

Simpilot767

Post by Simpilot767 »

According to this german DGLR document (german association for aeronautical and space technology):
http://www.fzt.haw-hamburg.de/pers/Scho ... 97-083.pdf (unfortunately in german - sorry)
the maximum roll-rate of an Airbus A320 is 15°/sec at a maximum aileron deflection of 25° (page 6 picture 3).

On table 1 on page 1 you can see the maximum deflections of all Airbus aircraft (without A380) and the control speeds of the surfaces:
For example:
A340: aileron: +/- 25° deflection( the deflection speed/rate is limited by FBW to 40°/sec ).
A340: elevator: - 30°/+15°

Timo

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

Thanks for that document Timo, it is always good reading finding out all the technical figures of the Airbus family for me. :)