Aircraft shows up black in FS?! Help!

Forum rules
Don't use Imageshack or Photobucket. Don't post paint requests.
donaldd

Aircraft shows up black in FS?! Help!

Post by donaldd »

So I just did my first paint and all went well, I have all my texture files (16 of them) in .bmp format ready to go. I update the aircraft.cfg and when I open the aircraft in FS, it's either black or all pixel-ed with black / white color?! Could this be because the night and day textures are not the same dimensions or something? I did everything any other painter would and now after all my hard work, nothing worked! All responses appreciated!

EB1515

Re: Aircraft shows up black in FS?! Help!

Post by EB1515 »

Did you save them with DxtBmp?

donaldd

Post by donaldd »

EB1515 wrote:Did you save them with DxtBmp?
May I ask, what's that?

EB1515

Post by EB1515 »

Search with Google for it, download it and save your BMPs with it. DxtBmp converts them to a format which FS can "read". ;)

donaldd

Post by donaldd »

EB1515 wrote:Search with Google for it, download it and save your BMPs with it. DxtBmp converts them to a format which FS can "read". ;)
ahh this might be a fix! I converted all the files to .bmp but they need to be coded or something by this program?

donaldd

Post by donaldd »

This program is kinda confusing me. Can you briefly explain how it works / how to do it?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Now that is a very difficult program to handle ! - NOT. Because all you have to do is to open the bmps you saved with it and re-save them as bmps.

donaldd

Post by donaldd »

GaryG wrote:Now that is a very difficult program to handle ! - NOT. Because all you have to do is to open the bmps you saved with it and re-save them as bmps.
I figured it out quickly but I saved it as a 24 bit bmp but the texture still came up black. . What is the exact option I save as?

Camiz757

Post by Camiz757 »

Extended bitmap -> 32 bit bmp

donaldd

Post by donaldd »

Camiz757 wrote:Extended bitmap -> 32 bit bmp
When I save it that way the image comes out all distorted. It look like my texture is a wet painting and someone took a brush and smudged the paint and made circles all over it.

Steve

Post by Steve »

Did you uncheck save with mip maps in the right hand side in dxtbmp?

donaldd

Post by donaldd »

Yes I un-checked everything in that box and it still comes up like this:
May it be because the picture is not 1024 x 1024 dimensions or it's not 1024 pixel's?

inbetween

Post by inbetween »

donaldd wrote:Yes I un-checked everything in that box and it still comes up like this:
May it be because the picture is not 1024 x 1024 dimensions or it's not 1024 pixel's?
Go into Photoshop or your painting program and resave all your bmp's as per usual. Photoshop doesn't handle BMP's very well, usually the textures crash FS9 in my experience rather than turn black but anyway I'm not sure why or how but DXTBMP sorts this problem out. Like i've said though save all your BMP's using your painting program then run DXTbmp and resave the BMP as an extended BMP overwriting where necessary, i've posted a picture of what you should see in the program and what boxes need to be checked.