Making repaints look realistic and dirt effects

Forum rules
Don't use Imageshack or Photobucket. Don't post paint requests.
clukas

Making repaints look realistic and dirt effects

Post by clukas »

Hey,

Im currently repainting a few repaints for my own VA, I have seen some very good and realistic looking textures out there or real and fictional aircraft. I was wondering what tips you could give me to make my textures look realistic.

Also I have seen some very good dirt textures used by some repainters, can someone share some information how they made those dirt textures?

Thanks

Nixpilot

Re: Making repaints look realistic and dirt effects

Post by Nixpilot »

doing all the effects takes lots of effort, trial and error and experience. Each one of us has different way of doing them. I suggest you look at real photos and try to replicate some effects in PSD, but make sure you dont overdo it because remember those effects are static, no matter where the lighting and view angle in FS the effect wont change, if you overdo it they might look weird in some lighting or view angles.

inbetween

Re: Making repaints look realistic and dirt effects

Post by inbetween »

My way of giving paints a better look is getting a high quality environmental image (i take pictures out of my window lol) be this a horizon type image or whatever and then reducing the image to your fuselage height followed by tiling the image across the livery to form a kind of 'layer' across the whole paint. With the completed tiling over your painted livery you can then change the blending and opacity options although it's probably better to do this before the whole tiling thing. Experimenting and seeing what works is very important because some things work and many don't. This method gets results similar to the image below however like this one it's obvious when it just isn't right.