New Computer

tyler_J

New Computer

Post by tyler_J »

So guys I'm in the market for a new computer solely for gaming. I have had a quote done and am curious what you guys think in terms of performance for FS X and if there are any recommendations.

CPU: i7 2600K Unlocked (3.4Ghz Turboboost to 3.8 with 8Mb Cache)
RAM: 8Gb of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (or would 2000Mhz be better?)
SSD: 128Gb SSD (Kingston) for FS and Windows
HDD: External 1Tb drive for media (songs etc)
Graphics: Gigabyte GF GTX 580 Super Over Clocked 1.5 Gb

Once again any recommendation? Also I see the irony in this topic considering I previously stated I was enjoying running FS on my mac, however I have came across some new money and want to treat myself haha.

Srilanka

Re: New Computer

Post by Srilanka »

Well RAM 2000Mhz would be better....If i were you i would go for a Nvidia GTX 580 with 3GB Dedicated RAM...Well the above specs look okay to run FSX on full settings..

tyler_J

Post by tyler_J »

I considered it but the Super Overclocked seems to be quicker. What kid a difference does more memory make?

Srilanka

Post by Srilanka »

Well it means more memory can be used by the computer for a certain process...I wouldnt go more than 8GB since FSX is a 32bit program and cannot take more than 2GB of RAM...

Ghostmaster

Post by Ghostmaster »

Higher ram speed is better but its depend on buspeed too. Higher gpu dedicated ram only benefit if you using more than one monitor. The i7 is 2nd generation cpu which can overclocked up to 4-4.5ghz with good c00ler. Overall,your pc gonna be m0nster. :)

bang_amin

Post by bang_amin »

External 1TB Drive? Hmmm... AFAIK, from what i've learned at the university, its better to use SATA/SCSI-internal HDD instead of external. SATA cables are more durable and transfers at better speed. Internal HDD is also cheaper than external, so you might get 1.5 or even 2TB internal HDD instead for the same price (country-dependant though, since different country has its own pricing).

esg

Post by esg »

Well, there's eSATA and FireWire with comparable speeds (and now also Thunderbolt). Using an SSD for the OS and an external for all the things you need to store makes a lot of sense

tyler_J

Post by tyler_J »

Well, there's eSATA and FireWire with comparable speeds (and now also Thunderbolt). Using an SSD for the OS and an external for all the things you need to store makes a lot of sense
Actually thats exactly the idea! haha. The idea is the SSD will hold the OS and 2 of my most played games (FSX and DCS A-10). The External will hold all movies and music. Obviously 120 gig is not a lot for gaming but when the time comes I will purchase another to add more space. After all at the moment externals don't grow on trees haha.

I have made the commitment guys and the computer shall arrive next week. Though I have picked the parts myself mostly, I will not be assembling it.

The final Specs are:
i7 2600K at stock 3.4-3.8Ghz until I learn how to over clock (already will have 3rd party cooling installed throughout the machine and on the CPU so when the time comes its all ready)
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Mother Board
16Gigs of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GTX580 SOC
Kingston 128Gig SSD

Should hopefully be a quick machine to keep occupied between work and uni haha.