FSX FBW - UPDATED !

GaryG

FSX FBW - UPDATED !

Post by GaryG »

Link has been updated with updated .exe. If this solves the problem, please thank ChrisK, he has been the mind behind the solution to this problem.

Thanks Chris !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
This is a project that has been underway for some time and I've literally destroyed my head manipulating it here and there.

So, it is a basic FBW that I did and it is optimised for the Project Airbus A320 in FSX.

Here is the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19181682/FBWtest.exe

What you must do is and this is IMPORTANT !

1) Switch on FSX
2) Once loaded, you can run the application.
3) Delete the LINE saying fly_by_wire = 1 in the aircraft.cfg you are using.
4) Use a default panel.
5) Choose PA A320 and fly.
6) Leave feedback.

IMPORTANT:

NEVER EVER use the FBW software with a complex aircraft like wilco. A user reported that this only caused him trouble.

I'm not liable to anything that can happen to your computer. I've done my utmost and tested it TONS of times and should do no harm.

In the end, ENJOY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joel

Re: FSX FBW

Post by Joel »

FML, I spent the last two weeks working on a FBW system for PA's A330 when it comes out. ^^

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hey...don't you stop working on it. Doesn't mean that mine is the best either. Hope that you continue working on it, the results might be even more spectacular.

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

FBWtest.exe - System Error

The program can't start because MSVCR110D.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

^

that's the error that I get when running the .exe file, I followed all steps correctly.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

do you have the redistributable ? I know other people that had that problem as well.

Check for the latest VC++ redistributable please, if it still fails, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for trying it btw GoldLeader ;)

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

I always thought I had the latest VC++ redistributable (2010)... it turned out that I did have it in fact :P Anyway I redownloaded it and re installed it, but the error still happens, unfortunately.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Well, apparently that file comes with visual studio that's why i don't have that problem. Will search a bit the 'net and see what I'll find...

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

GaryG wrote:Well, apparently that file comes with visual studio that's why i don't have that problem. Will search a bit the 'net and see what I'll find...
Thanks man, I'd search it like I usually do before posting problems, but really I cannot be arsed right now.

GaryG

Re: FSX FBW - UPDATED !

Post by GaryG »

Updated .exe...please see original post (OP)

scotgr

Post by scotgr »

Silly question what is FBW?

Daniel_csr

Post by Daniel_csr »

Let's see what Wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-by-wire

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

Hmm, it worked this time, although what does this exactly do?

Does it have pitch/bank restriction (I think that you can't bank more than 60 degrees in an Airbus)?
Does it maintain certain bank angle?
Does it have auto-trim?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

OK, the fact it works is cool !

What it does, for now, is maintain pitch and bank....not much I know, but those can come later.

Did you feel a bit different when using it or was it just another file?

Regards

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

Well, I felt it was much smoother than without anything to intercept the controls, even if I moved the joystick very aggressively. I didn't exactly see how it maintains pitch and bank since after about few minutes it would return to 0 bank angle with no inputs of joystick, but it could also be my joystick hardware error.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

I am continuously updating this....I don't know how to cope with it because it's impossible to distribute each time I compile.
Anyway, there is an updated version on Dropbox again...please feel free to try it.

Hopefully more people will draw in thank to you goldleader ;)

Daniel_csr

Post by Daniel_csr »

Great piece of software! Feeling great! :shock:

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

It was a lot better, I think it maintains the bank angle now.

Thanks a lot for making this man :P

Also, I'm not exactly 100% sure how the autotrim system works but I don't think it just maintains the same pitch angle...

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

@gleader : Yes i know but i had to start from somewhere...hope it's feeling good. Thanks daniel btw.

Regards

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

Great, keep it up then :D!

I always wanted a good FBW. EasyFBW is great but it's buggy a lot, once it made impossible for me to flare on retard callout and I crashed... after a 3 hour flight :(
Wilco's FBW, it's great, I think. But the whole aircraft is horrible.

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Guys, if you're trying the gauge, keep sending Gary your feedback. You never know, it may be featured in a future release. Why not debug it as much as possible?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Thanks Alex...people's interest will boost me more to update it to be honest

ReneM.

Post by ReneM. »

Thank you Gary. All in one it works quiet well.

But I have one issue for example I take off and holding pitch about 15 degrees. Then I reduce thrust and go to 10 degrees pitch climb as usual and if it trims to hold the 10 degree pitch the aircraft turns slightly to the right.

I don't know if it only happens to me ,but anyway it's a great feature. ;)

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Dear All,

It has been updated again and now, it seems to act much more stable. I suggest you try it, now it is really worth a try.

Regards

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

so, wait... Does this mean that the plane will fly under airbus' flight control law, with stall, and AOA protection and stuff? :o
If so, then you're my hero! :mrgreen: If not,, then get to work already! lol

Here you can see all the laws and modes airbusses have, and when a plane switches from i.e. normal to alternative law, should be helpful if you havent seen it already http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbus_fltlaws.htm

esg

Post by esg »

so, wait... Does this mean that the plane will fly under airbus' flight control law, with stall, and AOA protection and stuff?
No, it'll just maintain pitch and bank.

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

There should be a way to calibrate a joystick (sensitivity, null zones).

Morhaf

Post by Morhaf »

esg wrote:
so, wait... Does this mean that the plane will fly under airbus' flight control law, with stall, and AOA protection and stuff?
No, it'll just maintain pitch and bank.
What do you mean 'maintain'? doesn't that go automatic in FS? or do you mean it maintains the pitch/bank when reaching the limit?

esg

Post by esg »

No, that's not done automatically in FS.

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

esg wrote:No, that's not done automatically in FS.
Ah thank you, but anyway even though I have calibrated it in FSX to suit my quite old hardware, it still goes slightly everywhere in any direction (due to my hardware flaw) and it doesn't happen without it (because null zone is calibrated in fsx)

esg

Post by esg »

It's a known issue. We'll get around to adding a filter, eventually.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hi all,
sorry for not informing you so much on what's happening. So...hopefully there wil be protections but this project is a bit experimental in nature so I don't know to what level it will mature. So esg wasn't really informed well and I apologise for that. About the joystick issue....It might be doing what's intended. The joystick bypasses fs as per program but we'll talk later on that.

Thanks for the feedback

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

So ! What esg said is true, that is, right now, the file consists of holding the pitch and bank. Protections might be implemented later if any.

Sorry for misunderstanding again, sorry esg and the public in general. I was sleepy and was writing off my mobile so wasn't 100% accurate in my choice of words.

Hope that clears things up.

Regards

A320-Simmer

Post by A320-Simmer »

Hi!
Thanks a lot for this excellent FBW-module, it works great. Would be very cool if the protections could be implemented too.

Best regards,
Christoph

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Wow chris, now that was quite unexpected to have as a feedback. Thanks a lot.

Regards

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

A quick update, I implemented some simple protections now like:

- Pitch and Attitude limit.

In pitch, you cannot go above 30 degrees and less than -15, in bank you can bank further than 33 and -33 degrees but it goes back there when exceeded. You won't bank further than -67 and 67 degrees.

Be gentle with it, I recommend hehe.

Thanks a lot gentlemen, I await feedback here.

P.S. - Link in original post is still valid

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

I updated the file again. The aircraft flies much more smoothly now and please, do take some time to learn how to fly it with the program.

My suggestion is to limit the input as much as possible so that autotrim adjusts to the pitch you are in.

Do not keep your joystick position for a very long time, this will result in instability and will promise to fix it later on.

Link in original post is still valid

I would really appreciate feedback, I've been working very hard on this one.

Regards

RoCksTeR

Post by RoCksTeR »

GaryG wrote:I updated the file again. The aircraft flies much more smoothly now and please, do take some time to learn how to fly it with the program.

My suggestion is to limit the input as much as possible so that autotrim adjusts to the pitch you are in.

Do not keep your joystick position for a very long time, this will result in instability and will promise to fix it later on.

Link in original post is still valid

I would really appreciate feedback, I've been working very hard on this one.

Regards
Sounds good m8, im gonna give it a shot as soon as i get time :D

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Thanks a lot, it's good to know that someone will try it out soon :-)

RoCksTeR

Post by RoCksTeR »

GaryG wrote:Thanks a lot, it's good to know that someone will try it out soon :-)
glad to be of service, btw would it work on the whole fleet or is it only designed for A320?

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Haven't tried it and there's no harm in trying. Would be awesome if you can tell me how it feels.

Regards

RoCksTeR

Post by RoCksTeR »

Good Day All,

As i have reported to gary my plane seems to always plunge into the ground after take off. Im not quite sure if its FBW or just topcat not distributing the weight properly but i need you guys to tell me if you guys are having the same issues with the FBW. I will keep troubleshooting the issue and post it here if i ever figure out why its happening and gary is looking into it too.

RoCksTeR

Post by RoCksTeR »

Ok problem solved, the settings are all in the aircraft folder but TOPCAT's settings are old (maybe an older version) and the weights have been updated in the CFG.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Hi Ladies & Gentlemen,
The gauge has been updated and now it is supposed to limit you the angle to which you can pitch, that is: +30/-15 degrees. Pitching has also been improved significantly.

ALPHA FLOOR STILL NOT IMPLEMENTED !

Regards

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

May I remind you that you can always try this gauge. I would be very grateful to have a lot of feedback.

Regards

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Now Updated with BASIC ! Alpha Floor protection

Give it a try ;)

regards

EDIT: Please ! It's important that once you set full thrust on ground, you move the joystick a bit since somehow, the thrust levers got linked to the elevators.

Sorry for this, will try to fix it in the next compiling.

Regards

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

FIXED ! Please initialise the throttle at the start my moving it up and down.

Enjoy

szpirogyra

Post by szpirogyra »

GaryG wrote:FIXED ! Please initialise the throttle at the start my moving it up and down.

Enjoy
and by that u meant the throttle problem(i downloaded fd version a320 and after ur version with floor, i noticed there is a problem with throttle after startup of engines the throttle abruptly increases without my knowing) :?: :?: :?: :?:

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Are you using francois panel?

and yes, rock your throttle a bit back and forth in the start, it should solve the problem.

GaryG

Post by GaryG »

Ok People,

Thrust issue has been fixed and the airplane handles much smoother than ever. Please do try it for yourself.

Regards and Happy weekend

GoldLeader

Post by GoldLeader »

Okay, I just downloaded the latest version after not trying it for a while.

I can just say that it's buggy as hell. The aircraft is unresponsive, sometimes it doesn't limit bank/pitch but sometimes it does... It also made me wonder if my joystick is broken. I turned it off and flied without FBW, and again it worked like charm.

By the way, I do appreciate your work and countless hours spent in making this, but I have no idea why it's so buggy now. One of first versions was better.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing these problems, also.

Thank you anyway! :)