Project Airbus A318/19/20/21 HD 4K (4096x4096) Paintkit

Forum rules
Don't use Imageshack or Photobucket. Don't post paint requests.
Luke Powell

Project Airbus A318/19/20/21 HD 4K (4096x4096) Paintkit

Post by Luke Powell »

Hello everyone

Two years ago, in 2012, as I was flying my Project Airbus A318 with an Avianca livery in FSX, I looked out on the wingview, and realised that although the wing shape was quite realistic, it was also very blurry, and it did not look good. I reckoned that could be improved for this FSX model, as I had flown other aircraft who didn't have this problem. Months later I came across Cheese-Strike Repaints Project Airbus A318 repaints in a better resolution than default ones. I saw they used larger texture files (2048x2048), and realised this could be done for FSX with SP2. Then, I thought I would like to make my own High Definition texture set, but using even larger files. From this idea, I started trying to enlarge my default texture files to 4096x4096 texture files in DDS DXT5 for the A318. I started with the wings, but after a few tries, some friends of mine gave me advice to start using Adobe Illustrator, rather than just Photoshop, to make sure I achieved the best resolution I could for these large files. Therefore, I redesigned what I had done on my paintkit, and did it all over again in Illustrator, using vectors, and all those Illustrator tools. The result was so amazingly good, that I decided to make the whole fleet's paintkit using this method. Over the next years, I worked very hard only in my holidays (which is the reason it's taken so long), and got quite advanced on it. After all this hard work, I could say the wings are almost finished, and the fuse is not far from finished, except for the belly, and some minor details that are not easy. I'm quite happy with the result, but there are still loads to do, such as the engines that are still untouched, the tail, elevators, landing gear and much, much more. The alphas are still untouched, which means there is undoubtedly plenty of room for improvement.
I'm uploading some pictures that I reckon show more or less what I've done, and how I did it. The wings look quite nice, as I've dedicated ages to the vectorization of the tiniest details in there. You will see that some details are in spanish, as they were inspired in Avianca Colombia planes.

I do hope you people like my work. This post is only to show what I currently have done, as it is not yet available, there are loads, tons of work to do to get the whole plane the way wings are, and it is going to take ages to release it, not before 2015, as I don't have much time to dedicate to this. Some people asked me to show the progress of my work, and that's the reason I'm writing this post.
I would like to acknowledge some people who have given me plenty of support to get some of this done, such as Cheese-Strike repaint for giving me the idea, FsDesigns Colombia, and many, many more.
Please do not ask for release dates, for tryouts of some parts of the project before it is released, or anything like that. Bear in mind this is a very large piece of work, and it's already taken 2 years, and is going to take even more time. :(
Hope you like it! ;)

The320Pilot

Re: Project Airbus A318/19/20/21 HD 4K (4096x4096) Paintkit

Post by The320Pilot »

They look awesome! You should definitely continue this project. :D

Saludos desde Cali. :)

thealaskanmike

Post by thealaskanmike »

I would love to see that blank fuse in a paintkit. All my A318s look sloppy

Daniel_csr

Post by Daniel_csr »

Looking good!
I did not only enhance the A318, did the whole A32x Series but never released it ... people kept being demanding ...
Took quite a while to get everything to 2048x2048 px ...

Greetings, Daniel

esg

Post by esg »

You showed them.

Luke Powell

Post by Luke Powell »

Daniel_csr wrote:Looking good!
I did not only enhance the A318, did the whole A32x Series but never released it ... people kept being demanding ...
Took quite a while to get everything to 2048x2048 px ...

Greetings, Daniel
Yes indeed, I flew all of the A32x fleet you had repainted, specially the a318/19's. I'm quite sorry to see the project is now over, and the fb page is no longer open :(
It was quite good, and the idea was very good as well

Luke Powell

Post by Luke Powell »

Just to post a small update on what I did on the engines, placed a few rivets and details on engine 1, didn't touch the lines of the reversers or anything else yet just did what you are seeing: