Better FSX Replacement?

Brett-Hill

Better FSX Replacement?

Post by Brett-Hill »

After hearing of Microsofts game It was clear that It would not be a route for me and I started looking elsewhere. In my travels I found Outerra Planetary engine and Prepar3d.

http://www.Outerra.com is a planetary engine which is made for Driving/Flying and probably down the road Sailing. It is still very much in the works and probably will be for a very long time, they have really gone to work on the atmosphere and visuals with mist and water. However they have only yet created one plane, one helicopter and a Tatra Truck. Some of these models look really good and some look a bit Rushed off but with it planning on being open scource... I guess anything is possible down the line.

http://www.Prepar3d.com is FSX Code enhanced and made how it should have been done in the first place. Let me Explain, When Microsoft got shot of the Aces Team they also sold off the Code they had develped for Years and Years (Microsoft ESP) just for a bit of money (hence why Micrsoft had to build from the ground up again with a new Engine). They sold the Code to Lockheed Martin who have opened a new Team made up of some of the old Aces Team, And they have now released their own version of FSX based on the same code but with many many enhancments and Fix's (Just what we need!). With enhanced scenary rendering techniques/ More reliable online Play/ compatability for almost every FSX addon/ a much friendlier interface and talk of possibly Direct X 11 down the line too... it is truely a candidate for our new Flight Sim Experience. But the bad news is the price; with it mainly aimed towards the commercial market for advanced training it is priced at $499 (about £322 today). with it still being work in progress and new versions being released there could be a cheaper household license comming out soon (we can only hope).

My choice is with Prepar3d when it becomes cheaper But Ill stick to FSX for now.

KillerK

Re: Better FSX Replacement?

Post by KillerK »

X-Plane 10 looks quite awesome too.