Project FMC simplified for Project Airbus

hvw

Re: Project FMC simplified for Project Airbus

Post by hvw »

Hello Francois,

Here's my understanding of the ALT thingy. (As it was in A310-200, but things might have been changed since the FBW-age). When flying in managed mode, no matter whether you are at cruise level or not, FMS takes care of your altitude. When you pull the button, you no longer are in managed mode for ALT but the plane will stay at the altitude as being displayed in the window at the moment you pulled the button. OK, now you dial another altitude, let's say you change the altitude from FL190 to FL150. Nothing happens till the moment that you again pull the button. Now the aircraft will start the descend to FL150. This was the way it was done in the Airbus A310-200 (from real life experience). As I said, things might have changed when the FBW aircraft rolled out. I don't know, hopefully "pilote virtuel" can shed some light on this. But again, if this is too complicated to code into your FMC, then don't bother. Things are great as they are now, as long as one knows that this is the way FMC works, great! No problem at all.

Best regards,
Hans

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Hi Francois,

panel 0,77g:
thanks for the tip to use the older PFD version. Now managing ILS is "under control again", when in SPEED mode 8-)

The remaining major hickup are the different displayed values from the PFD pop gauge gauges and the corresponding VC gauge.
I think I have found the culprit, but my big hope is, that You can sort it out:
There could be a format mistake in the VC display in the bottom area, please see pos. 1 and 2.
I have also noticed sometimes a faulty display of the word "QNH".
The format of the VC PFD on the lower display area seems to interfere with the format of the signs and numbers.
Only the PFD popup window numbers are correct as there is no display issue.

Regards
Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi Wulf,

This problem is a great mystery to me because I did not on my computer. The graphic size of the VC gauge is the same that use by microsoft in a the A321 panel.

The mystery of the different values of the DME, between the popup PFD and the VC PFD is inapprehensible, because this is the same gauge, the same XML file, the same XML code. I don't understand this bug and like I havn't on my computer, I don't know where to search or what try to change !

In your FSX global settings, have you check the Virtual Cockpit as by default ?

In your FSX.CFG file, have you in the [Display] section set the value : WideViewAspect=True ?

one year ago, I had an ATI graphic card and I had display bug on the horizontale heading tape of the PFD that became trouble. Since I have a Nvidia card, I hadn't this bug.

I do not know what to tell you wulf.....

Open your Panel.cfg file and in the [VCcockpit01] section, you have the line :

gauge12=A320_CFM!A320_PFD, 287,357,283,282

try to change by

gauge12=A320_CFM!A320_PFD, 287,357,280,280

to reduce the area of the gauge in the VC, but I cannot tell if there is the solution.......

So sorry but that I havn't this bug , I don't know how do.....

François

hvw

Post by hvw »

Francois,

Did you perhaps change something in the latest version that makes controlling speed while descending lower than 10,000ft more difficult? I did some flights with this latest version and while descending below 10,000ft (speed in both selected or managed mode) the aircraft's speed is going lower and lower without hardly a possibility to recover. (This didn't happen in previous versions).

Thanks,
Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi Hans,

No change in this part of code in the lastest panel.

But my descent algorithm maybe not perfect. It uses limitations of the pitch to avoid overspeed.

it may be that in some cases, if the center of gravity is considerably displaced, the speed is not maintained.

I do not see that as an explanation.

I'll check that.

Edit : I confirm

during the descent (managed or selected), I have in my code a minimum and a maximum authorized aircraft angle, depending of its altitude. So, the aircraft cannot have a too negative angle. I will adjust this values and will do some tests....
The problem may appear if you have a strong head wind at low altitude, I think.....

Please note : In managed speed, descent speed is 0.73M above conjonction altitude, 300 knots between conjonction altitude and 11 300 feet, and from 11300 feet, the descent speed start from 248 knots and decrease of 2.3 knots every 1000 feet, if no STAR used.

Edit 2 : By looking in my code, I am not sure that the selected speed works in the descent. Let me until tomorrow to check the code.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hans, thank you very much !

you have found a bug.

Selected speed doesn't work below 20000 feet during descent; below this altitude, only the managed speed is used, even if you are in selected mode.

I fixed the bug.

I will post tonight an update, after some tests with the new code.

Thanks a lot !

hvw

Post by hvw »

Great news, Francois. You know, sometimes even giving "full throttle" (TOGA) didn't help and I reached 140 kts very closely while descending. Passengers started to panic and looking for their parachutes :)

Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hans, the bug is about the selected speed that doesn't work below 20000 feet when the FMC run, during the descent.

But it is totally abnormal that you have a speed of 140 kts !

I need to know more information :

Is the aircraft that decrease its speed, but the speed bug on the ASI has a higher value ? or the speed bug on the ASI was at 140 kts ?

hvw

Post by hvw »

fdd_fr wrote:
I need to know more information :

Is the aircraft that decrease its speed, but the speed bug on the ASI has a higher value ? or the speed bug on the ASI was at 140 kts ?
Francois,

The descent was in speed selected mode. After I set the speed to 180 kts (and pulled the speed button) the aircraft decelerated from 200 kts down to almost 140 kts, mind you stall speed was about 135 kts (red band). No matter how much I pulled the speed button (speed still set at 180 kts), the aircraft didn't regain its speed. When I set my throttle to full speed and with ATHR disabled, not even then it did respond all that much. Retracting flaps and raising the gear gave a positive result and I could enable auto throttle again.
This phenomenon only happened since the last version, hence my question if you had changed something. This "uncontrollable" speed only happens below 10,000 ft.

I this morning also checked if this happens in managed mode and I regret to say, that in managed mode the speed is behaving as described as well. My CoG was correct at the moment speed went ballistic.

FYI, I didn't use any STARs.

Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Curious, because I havn't change anything in this part of code. The only thing is that the selected speed doesn't work below 20000ft when your are in THR IDLE mode, but this bug exist since a long time, because it is an conception error, not a recent change.

I do the most of my test with airports that have STAR and approaches. I will test tonight with an airport that havn't STAR and approaches; Maybe the bug appears int his case.

I will come backl to you.

Thanks

Francois

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hello Hans,

I have the definitive response about the ALT button.

The real sheme of aan AIRBUS is the following :

- When you are in Managed mode (button pushed, LED lighting), durong climb or descent (CLB or DES mode), you can change the value on the FCU; THe value becomes a altitude constraint (to follow ATC order, for exemple). This is the point where my code is wrong, because during climb or descent, in Altitude managed mode, you cannot change the value in my panel.

- when you are in seleted mode (ALT button pulled), you can select an altitude, and this altitude is immediatelly take in consideration (my panel is Ok for this part).

To summurize, the actual function of my ALT knob is OK in selected mode, but wrong in managed mode except when the aircraft in in cruise mode (ALT CRZ).

I don't know if I will change the code, because that requires that I re-write all the Takeoff, climb , autopilot and descent gauges. A huge work ! And I am tired and I have many work with the modification of the airport database.

I think that this job requires 2 or 3 weeks, to write and test.

Now, I don't know if mu error is very important, because, the act of change the ALT value in managed mode can be do by pulled the knob and do the same thing in selected.

I need to think about it and get your opinion if this error in my FMC code is very important.

Francois

hvw

Post by hvw »

Hi Francois,

Thanks for getting back to me with this information. Now that we know that the coding in managed mode is incorrect, it all makes sense. It is the cause of my questions about ALT :). OK, as far as I am concerned you do not need to change the code, as longs as we know how to handle the aircraft's ALT it is OK with me. Just keep the ALT function as it is now, the plane's ALT is perfectly controllable when we take the given functionality in consideration.

Did you find out anything about the selected speed mode below 10,000ft?

Best,
Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I got more information :

The real difference between managed climb or descent (CLB or DES) and selected climb or Descent (OP CLB and OP DES) is :

- in CLB or DES mode, the aircraft optimize its climb or descent profile to avoid to do leveloff : FMC compute the ideal profile to arrive to the waypoint at the right altitude. FMC compute an ideal verticale trajectory.
- In OP CLB or OP DES, the aircraft is in climb thrust (OP CLB ) or idle (OP DES) so FMC controls aircraft angle to maintain speed.

So, in fact, my FMC works always as if in OP CLB or OP DES ) , because I climb and descend with a constant thrust and my code controls the aircraft pitch permanently to maintain speed.

So, I am unable to write an algorithm to compute an ideal trajectory; So no regrets, I havn't the mathemathical knowledge to write the real Managed mode.

I am not a Airbus engineer. So, ALT button function will stay like today.

About your problem of low speed at low altitude, in sleected mode, I can not reproduce the phenomenon. I have do some test, and always the speed was OK. The only things is that the selected speed dosn't work below 20 000ft. If you toggle in selected speed, below 20 000 ft, this is the managed value that is used.

I will post tonight the update, that fix this bug.

The next time that you have this this problem, save your flight and post here the content of the FMS .csv file.

Regards
Francois

hvw

Post by hvw »

OK, Francois. No problem at all on the ALT function.

Now the reason that my selected speed below 10,000ft doesn't work as expected might be the fact that I inserted some waypoints between the last generated flight plan waypoint and the destination runway. I don't use a STAR because for my destination(s) no STARs are available. I therefore enter some FIX(s) to line up the aircraft for a straight in approach. Perhaps FMC is getting confused here because no altitudes are given with the inserted waypoints. (Just a hunch, I am not sure of course if this is the cause of the speed being uncontrollable).

Next time if this phenomenon (still) happen I will send you the content of the FMS.csv file, OK?

Looking forward to the update, who know, perhaps that one solves my speed problem as well :) Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I do some last tests and I think that I will upload the update in 4 or 5 hours.

François

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Hi francois,

panel.cfg: after each panel update I am repeating the update or inclusion of the popup windows 6 to 11 sizing "sizeable=1" instead of 0.
Any reason not to include it at once in the new panel update?
Even the FMC window could be sizeable. A big help not to cover nearly the hole screen with the FMC menu window.

regards
Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hello wulf,

It's ok, I will change the sizeable value for the popup gauges, execpt the FMC window, because, by resize the FMC window, the mouse area will be disturbed. For exemple, when you wnat delete a waypoint of the right area of the FMC window, the mouse area is very small and by resizing, FSX has a bad system to adapt the mouse area, and by clicking on a waypoint you will select another waypoint. Same thiong when you select SID or STAR ; the lines area will be false. FSX has a big bug for the resize function. So to prevent that, only the gauge that have no small precision mouse area can be resized.

The FMC window must be stay at 1024 x 768 pixels to avoid wrong mouse selection.

I am changing the value for all the popup gauge.

Fancois

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Panel update will be for tomorrow in the moornig.

I must do some test yet.

- Wulf, I have increase the TOD distance when no STAR loaded

And I try to add a function to a user select target altitude of the end of the descent when no STAR loaded.

I hope that will content you.

Francois

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote: It's ok, I will change the sizeable value for the popup gauges, execpt the FMC window.
The FMC window must be stay at 1024 x 768 pixels to avoid wrong mouse selection.
thanks, Francois. Good reason to not change the size.
fdd_fr wrote: I have increase the TOD distance when no STAR loaded
And I try to add a function to a user select target altitude of the end of the descent when no STAR loaded.
Yes, this is a good idea as still many airports have no STAR yet. Will the new target altitude be a new entry into FMC
or to be dialed directly into the altitude meter? We will see.

...Can´t wait to check :)

regards
Wulf

hvw

Post by hvw »

fdd_fr wrote:

Francois
Sounds great, Francois !

Hans

hvw

Post by hvw »

Hello francois,

Today the "loss in speed while on approach" phenomenon happened again on a EGGW-EDDC flight. Below I'll paste the contents of the .csv file.

Hans

"Aircraft Ident","Airbus","A320"
"Save Flight Plan","1."
"Departure Aircraft Position","1.","26"
"Flight Plan File",,"C:\\users\\hans\\documents\\Prepar3D v2 Files\\IFR Luton to Dresden.PLN"

"Departure Airport : ","EGGW"
"Departure Airport Elevation : ","525."
"Departure ICAO region : ","EG"
"Departure Position : ","26"
"Destination Airport : ","EDDC"
"Arrival Airport Elevation : ","755."
"Destination ICAO region : ","ED"
"Trip total Distance : ","570.89"
"Distance Remaining : ","0."
"Altitude Descent Target : ","3800."
"Descent Target distance : ","0."

"Current Flight settings : "
"Optimal Flight Level : ","390."
"FMS enabled : ","1."
"FMS init OK : ","1."
"FMS TakeOff Init OK :","0."
"Current flight phase :"
"Aircraft takeoff state","1.","0=Takeoff is not completed : SFCC in Ground mode 1=had takeoff : SFCC in flight mode"
"Takeoff phase","5.","-1=not cleared 0=Ready 1=takoff go 2=Aircraft is airbone 3=THR RED ALT reached 4=Initial acceleration 5=Aircrat is above 10000ft. Takeoff is completed"
"Aircraft Climb","0."
"Aircraft Climb phase","4.","0=aircraft is below 10000ft 1=Climb acceleration 2=Aircraft climb 3=Climb is completed 4=descent is engaged"
"Aircraft cruise","0."
"Aircraft descent","0."
"Aircraft Descent phase","5.","1=initial descent engaged 2=aicraft is above conjunction altitude 3=aircraft is between Conjunction altitude and 18000ft 4=aircraft is below 18000ft"
"Aircraft Approach phase","0."
"Callout 80kts : ","1."
"Callout V1 : ","1."
"Callout Vr : ","1."
"Callout V2 : ","1."
"Callout Check Speed : ","0."
"FMS SETUP : "
"TakeOFF Page : "
"Runway Takeoff : ","26"
"Takeoff V1 Vr V2 : ","117.","132.","137."
"SRS Speed : ","152."
"GPS Nav Flag : ","0."
"Takeoff Runway Ok : ","1.","26"
"Cost Index Value : ","1.","40."
"Takeoff THUST mode 1=TOGA 2=FLEX : ","2."
"Flex To Temp setting : ","1.","55."
"Takeoff Flaps Config : ","3.","0=clean 1=Slats1 2=1+F 3=1+2 4=3 4=full"
"Takeoff Heading : ","0.","260."
"LNAV Engage Altitude : ","1.","0."
"Thrust Reduction Altitude : ","1.","1200."
"Acceleration Altitude : ","1.","1200."
"Econ Thrust : ","0."
"EXPEDITE : ","1."
"N1 climb Thrust Below FL100 : ","1.","89."
"Climb Speed below FL100 : ","1.","250."
"Climb Speed Green Dot : ","0.","0."
"Constraint Altitude : ","0.","0."
"Constraint Speed : ","0.","0."
"QNH Transition : ","1.","5000."
"QNH State : ","0.","0=barometric value 1=STD"
"CLIMB Page : "
"Climb Thrust ECON : ","0."
"N1 Climb Thrust above FL100 : ","1.","87."
"Climb Econ Thrust : ","0."
"Climb Thrust Expedite : ","1."
"ECON Flight Level : ","0."
"Flight Level 1 : ","1.","350."
"Climb speed IAS value above FL100 : ","1.","300."
"Climb Speed Econ : ","1."
"Conjunction IAS/MACH Altitude : ","1.","29000"
"Climb Speed MACH Value above Conjunction Alt : ","1.","0.8"
"Climb Speed MACH Econ : ","1."
"CRUISE Page : "
"Cruise ECON Speed IAS : ","0."
"Cruise Speed IAS FL1 : ","0.","0."
"Cruise ECON Speed MACH : ","0."
"Cruise Speed MACH FL1 : ","1.","0.8"
"Change Flight Level : ","0."
"Flight Level 2 : ","0.","0."
"Weight Flight Level 2 Kg and Pounds : ","0.","0.","0."
"Cruise Speed FL 2 Mach : ","0.","0."
"Top Of Descent : ","1.","30.12"
"Descent Constraint : ","1."

"FCU Settings : Knob FCU 0=selected mode 1=managed mode "
"SPEED : ","0."
"HDG : ","0."
"ALT : ","1."
"Altitude Constraint : ","0."
"Autopilot Pitch mode : ","0."
"V/S mode : ","1."," 0=Selected 1=managed"
"Speed Managed IAS : ","223."
"Speed Managed Mach : ","0."
"Aicraft is Above Transition : ","0."
"user FCU altitude Flag : ","1."
"ILS Land Phase : ","0."
"ILS Mode Armed : ","0."
"Approach Mode Armed : ","0."
"Localizer Armed : ","0."
"Approach type : ","0."
"Landing : ","0."
"Flare : ","0."
"Roll Out : ","0."
"Number of Waypoints : ","27."
"Offset waypoint list : ","0."
"Engine 1 Generator : ","1."
"Engine 2 Generator : ","1."
"DC Volts Selector : ","0."
"Inertial Sys on/off : ","0."
"Inertial Data : ","0."
"Panel Cabin Light : ","0."
"Engine 1 Bleed : ","0."
"Engine 2 Bleed : ","0."
"APU Bleed : ","0."
"VOR Switch 1 : ","1."
"VOR Switch 2 : ","1."
"Index of Active Waypoint : ","26."
"Checklist ID : ","13."
"Aircraft is above Mach Altitude MACH mode is engaged : ","0."
"Speed/MACH button pushed : ","0."
"User specific landing frequency : ","0."
"FSX landing frequency : ","0."
"SFCC flag Flaps on ground : ","0."
"SFCC : Aircraft is airborne : ","0."
"SFCC Flaps config before takeoff : Aircraft is on ground : ","1."
"Zero Fuel Weight ZFW : ","54538"
"No Smoking Switch State : ","1."
"Seat Belt Switch State : ","1."
"Engine 1 Fuel burned since departure in Pounds : ","4041.5"
"Engine 2 Fuel burned since departure in Pounds : ","4051."
"Index first approche waypoint if Go Around : ","0."
"Altitude first approach waypoint if Go Around : ","0."
"Speed first approach waypoint if Go Around : ","0."
"Autopilot engaged : ","0."
"AutoThrottle engaged : ","0."
"Autopilot Hold Altitude : ","0."
"Autopilot Altitude Lock : ","0."
"Autopilot heading value : ","250."
"Autopilot Heading Lock : ","0."
"Autopilot GPS Drives NAV1 : ","0."
"Autopilot Nav Lock : ","0."
"Autopilot AirSpeed Hold mode : ","0."
"Autopilot Mach Hold mode : ","0."
"FPA mode engaged : ","0."
"FPA Value in degrees : ","0."
"Final Approach Altitude unlocked : ","0."
"Reserved","Not used on this version"

"SID Loaded : ","0."
"SID data : "

"STAR Loaded : ","0."
"STAR data : "

"Approach Loaded : ","0."
"Approach Data : "

"FSX Variables monitoring Values : "

"AUTOPILOT CONFIGURATION"
"Autopilot Armed","0."
"Auto Throttle Armed","0."
"Autopilot AirSpeed Hold mode","0."
"Autopilot Airspeed KIAS Value","223."
"Autopilot Mach Hold mode","0."
"Autopilot Mach Value","0.36"
"Autopilot Heading lock mode","0."
"Autopilot Heading Dir value","250."
"Autopilot NAV1 Lock","0."
"GPS Drives NAV1","0."
"Autopilot Altitude Hold","0."
"Autopilot Target Altitude","0."
"Autopilot Vertical Speed ft/mn","0."

"Aircraft performances and environement"
"indicated Airspeed","7.1283"
"Indicated MACH","1.0915e-002"
"indicated Altitude","762.84"
"Verticale Speed Ft/mn","8.8236e-003"
"Total Weight in Kgs","57135"
"Fuel on Board in Kgs","2596.8"
"Flaps Position","5."
"Spoilers Armed","0."
"Ambiant Wind Velocity","8."
"Ambiant Wind Direction","260."
"Ambiant temperature in Celsius","14.979"

"A32x series FMS Beta 0.77g June 2014 - Data save file v1.30.2 - CSV file format can be read with EXCEL or similar software"
"© François Dore - June 2014"

"LoggerX is © Robbie McElrath"," LoggerX Version : ","1.1"

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hi hans,

Your Autopliot and A/THR was disabled :
0 = disabled
1 = active

I don't know if is a volontary action, but may be have set your throttles to 0 : this action disarm A/THR

I will add sound alarm when A/THR is disconnected by security.
Last edited by fdd_fr on 21 Jun 2014, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I have updated the panel.

You can dowload it here : Panel 0.77h CFM & IAE

This uppdate fix the following bugs and add one function :
[*]- Selected Speed in descent didn't work, with FMC, when the aircraft was below 20000ft ( from this altitude, only the managed value was used by the FMC, even in selected mode) : bug fixed
[*]- "G/S" reading in Cyan color (G/S armed) was not displayed on the FMA during an ILS approach , without use a appraoch file of an airport from the database ; bug Fixed
[*]- I have increase a little the TOD value, when no STAR is loaded
[*]- New function : Now, you can choose the final descent target altitude when you don't use a STAR and when the FMC is enabled; If no STAR loaded, you have a new box that appears in the CRUISE page where you can select the end altitude of the descent; This value is important, because, while the FMC is in descent mode (THR IDLE), you cannot use the ILS mode; So before, there was only a default value of 3000 feet above the destination airport elevation. Now, you can select your own value, and in this case, descent will be completed when this altitude will be reached; And from this point, the FMC will toggle in SPEED mode and you will can your ILS landing.
This function is when there are mountains around aiport.
Be carreful, by increase the descent target altitude, the TOD will be reduced. So think that you can engage the descent before reach the TOD (in the 200 Nm of the airport), by select an altitude lower than your actual cruise level.

Wulf, please, give me feedback about this function, to know if it was what you wait.

This box appears only if no STAR is loaded. When you load a STAR, the box disappears and its value is diregarded; STAR altitude constraint have priority.

The new line and box in Cruise page, when no STAR loaded, with the default value (destination airport elevation + 3000 ft)

You can enter the value of your choice : TOD is updated

If you laod a STAR, the line disappears :

François

hvw

Post by hvw »

fdd_fr wrote:Hi hans,

Your Autopliot and A/THR was disabled :
0 = disabled
1 = active

I don't know if is a volontary action, but may be have set your throttles to 0 : this action disarm A/THR

I will add sound alarm when A/THR is disconnected by security.
Hi Francois,

Now the weird thing is, that neither Autopilot or A/THR were disabled. I made an excellent ILS approach and landing and just before touchdown (FLARE) I pulled back my throttles to idle (0). On approach after I set Full Flaps the A/THR picked up speed again, so it is quite mysterious to me why in the .cvs file it is stated that A/THR was not active. Strange, uh?

But lets wait and see what 0.77h will do, who knows, the problem has been solved as you corrected Selected Speed during descents.

Will keep you informed after my flight tomorrow.

Thanks,
Hans

Hans

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Francois,

panel 0,77h:
Just made a check on my test-route KRDD to KACV, no STAR available, final descent altitude 7300 ft and checked this in FMC (yellow --> blue frame).
Checked several times the FMC inputs during the flying period.
- climb and cruise: descent altitude was visible with the 7300 ft
- There was only a short period of TOD=10 nm.
- After a short period of TOD=10 nm to TOD=0 the descent began normally as expected,
but the FMC setting from the descent altitude swapped automatically to 3200 ft again :@ and the descent
would continue up to 3200 ft....
Hope You will find the glitch.

The popup windows 07-11 are sizeable. Thanks.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I will check tomorrow moorning. When new function......bugs expected ...... :D

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Hello Wulf,

I have understood the problem

1. I tested your flight. A very too short flight (87Nm). I let the FMC default value for the cruise level : FL120. When Aircraft arrives at its flight level, It overshoot the TOD of 1 Nm. FL120 is the minimum Flight Level than the FMC can manage properly.
2. You have set this target altitude at the begining of your flight.

So, the TOD gauge begin to work when the aircraft reaches its cruise level , so if you enter a value before take off or during climb, it is normal that when the aircraft reaches its flight level that the default value comeback, because this is the moment when the TOD gauge takes office.

But even in this case, you have just to set your new descent target altitude value in the box, before push the ALT button to engage the descent and your value will be take in consideration.

So, it is not the standard process. Set your value when the aircraft is in cruise mode. You can see that until the aircaft is not in cruise mode, the TOD value is equal to 0. Airceft must be in Cruise mode to set the descent target value.

Can you do another test, like this ?

Francois

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

fdd_fr wrote: Set your value when the aircraft is in cruise mode. You can see that until the aircaft is not in cruise mode, the TOD value is equal to 0. Airceft must be in Cruise mode to set the descent target value.
Panel 0,77h:
Thanks again for the quick response, Francois.
I repeated my check flight on the test-route KRDD to KACV, selected descent altitude 7300 ft.
- I corrected during the (short) cruise phase the descent altitude from 3200 to 7300 ft in the FMC.
- The TOD increased automatically jumped from remaining 8 nm to 25 nm, which is unfeasible
- Descending as expected, but much too late because of the increased TOD.
I think the basic TOD value must stay as is, because the A/C speed should be already reduced in the
chosen descent point of altitude (here 7300 ft) to be prepared for final descent/approach with FPA 2.5°to 3.5°.

Indepedent from the discussion above the TOD is felt to be still a bit late.
In other words: the complete descent phase should be some % longer.

Wulf

hvw

Post by hvw »

In my opinion setting TOD is not all that important when you are using ATC, either on- or offline. ATC will inform you when to start your descend, no matter how far away you are from your destination. Bear in mind that ATC will not let you descend from your cruise level straight to the user designated FAF altitude. ATC will have you descend in steps, e.g. FL350 to FL 250, FL250 to FL170, FL170 to FL110 etc. It is therefore that I started this descend subject in previous notes. As Francois stated, Airbus's routines to do this is to set an ALT CSTR for the next lower altitude and hence managed mode will take care of the rest. This is not the case in François's FMS and so we have to do these steps in selected mode. If you just want to descend from your cruise level straight into your approach level, I guess setting a TOD does matter. Not sure, though, I still have to do my first flight with the latest version.

Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Wulf,

The TOD is a problem.

Understand, to calculate a TOD, you need 2 informations :
- The distance of the destination
- the altitude differential between the Cruise level and the destination altitude target.

So, this is the problem when no STAR used. the only waypoint known by the FMC know is the airport destination. So, I havn't another solution to take this waypoint to calculate the TOD.

Without STAR , I use the following calcultation :
- FMC take the altitude differential between Airport destination elevation and cruise level, by add 3000 feet above the airport elevation, because this is the standard altitude to catch an ILS
- distance to destination airport. and I add 30 Nm, because the aircraft must be at 30 Nm when it will arrive at 3000 feet above destination airport

I calculate a slope of 5.2% and the result is the TOD.

If you increase the final altitude descent, it is logical that the distance of the TOD decrease, but effectively, in this case, you will arrive too high, because the slope from the new TOD will drive the aircraft to your new higher altitude, at the same point.

I repeat, without STAR, I have no solution to know where you want arrive.

Think that you can engage the descent when you want , when you are in the 200Nm of the destination airpoot : You have just to pull the ALT button, select a lower altitude that your actual flight level, and push the ALT button; this seqeuce will engae the descent, and by pish the ALT button, your selected descent target altitude will be take in consideration.

But you must take into account, the location where you want arrive at this altitude, this is the reason why, the Gauge TOD in this case cannot be OK; You must calculate your own TOD

So, in this case, you must calculate your own TOD : For exemple, add a waypoint(s) with the FMC gauge in the flight plan, to intercept the ILS or the approach or your landing runway, and you must do by hand the calculation :

Take your differential altitude between your cruise level and your selected descent altitude target and divide by 1000 (if you cruise at FL 300 and you want arrive at 7500 feet, you do :

- 30000-7500=22500
- 22500 / 1000 = 22.5
After, do 22.5 x 3.5 = 78.75

You must begin your descent at 79 Nm of this waypoint.

You see what I mean ?

without STAR, I can't know where you want arrive and at which altitude; In this case, you must do the clacultation by hand, add waypoints, and engage the descent manually, by pussh the ALT button, when you are at the right distance of your waypoint (and if hte aircraft is at less than 200nm of the Airport).

The TOD calculation works perfectly only when STAR are used, because, arrival waypoint is known (this the last waypoint of the STAR) and altitude is known (this is the altitude constraint of the last waypoint of the STAR).

In this case, the TOD works perfectly.

Do you understand ? I cannot calculate a TOD, without know the location where you want arrive at your slected altitude. It is impossible.

You must buy a calculator and I give you some works :D

Francois

hvw

Post by hvw »

Hi Francois,

A few minutes ago I finished yet another EGGW-EDDC flight. It indeed now is possible to control speed below 20,000ft. Well done. But...I still have a problem to control the speed below 10,00ft, as a matter of fact the speed is quite uncontrollable and slows down almost to enter stall condition. Only engaging TOGA throttle setting will bring back some speed. I saved the flight but there was no .csv file generated. Fortunately enough I made a screenshot. As you can see I am in selected speed mode, ILS is active, the annunciator says I am still in DES mode, GS and localizer are captured an the plane is following the glide path perfectly. But watch the speed indicator. The displayed speed is not changed until I touched down, where I activated thrust reversers.

Now, if I only knew how to insert I would have pasted the screenshot :) Can you please let me know how to upload a picture?

Hans

wulfbindewald

Post by wulfbindewald »

Francois,

I understand the technical issue.

I made 2 tests for short haul flights, but always reaching cruise mode, no STAR available:

KRDD to KACV and
KRDD to KLMT (Klamath Falls, airport altitude 4100 ft, ILS approach).
The result was, that I should better use the old TOD value, not the new calculated value to get a comfortable transition.

One way out to let define the TOD under basis of "+3000 ft" independent of the new adjustable descent altitude for an approach w/o STAR.

As I can switch from cruise to descend with managed mode at any time, so at the end no prob.

Wulf

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I will change the code to don't update the TOD according a User selected altitude when no STAR available.

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

hvw wrote:Hi Francois,

A few minutes ago I finished yet another EGGW-EDDC flight. It indeed now is possible to control speed below 20,000ft. Well done. But...I still have a problem to control the speed below 10,00ft, as a matter of fact the speed is quite uncontrollable and slows down almost to enter stall condition. Only engaging TOGA throttle setting will bring back some speed. I saved the flight but there was no .csv file generated. Fortunately enough I made a screenshot. As you can see I am in selected speed mode, ILS is active, the annunciator says I am still in DES mode, GS and localizer are captured an the plane is following the glide path perfectly. But watch the speed indicator. The displayed speed is not changed until I touched down, where I activated thrust reversers.

Now, if I only knew how to insert I would have pasted the screenshot :) Can you please let me know how to upload a picture?

Hans
I havn't this bug Hans;

In the panel.cfg file, please activate the debug gauge by remove the 2 "/" characters at the gauge n°20 of the [Window00] section.

And when you have the problem, toggle in 2D cockpit and do a screeshots (i will have your cockpit and the readiongs of ht edebug gauge) to understand.

Francois

hvw

Post by hvw »

Francois,

I do have a perfect screenshot, showing all relevant information, for you, but I do not know how to upload this screenshot. Can you please inform me how to upload/paste a screenshot in a message?

Hans

P.S. I have FMS!debug gauge activated for the next flight (tomorrow)

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

go to this website : http://www.hostingpics.net/

select "choisissez un fichier", find your pic on our hard drive and upload your pic by clicking on "Envoyer".

after, click on "+Montrez le lien direct image" and the link of the picture will appear.

copy this link and past in your message by use the [img] tag.

hvw

Post by hvw »

Thanks, Francois, here comes the screenshot:

When you scroll to the right you see the remainder of the cockpit.

Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I never have this situation !!!

It seems that the descent phase was not completed.

Please active the debug gauge and make a 2D cockpit screenshot or post the csv.file after a saveflight.

I am curious to know how you get this situation :D

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I think taht you have engage ILS mode before end of the descent. You must wait that the aircraft complete its descent before activate ILS mode.

Descent is completed when A/THR mode toggle from THR IDLE mode to SPEED mode.....

hvw

Post by hvw »

I will do a quick EGSS-EHAM flight, and send you the required data right after that.

Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

To avoid this situation, without STAR, you can do an manual hold pattern by toggle in hdg mode, to lost altitude and be sure to arrive at the end of descent altitude not to close your destination airport.

But you can't use the ILS, while the aircraft is in THR ILDE mode, because the descentphase is not completed.

hvw

Post by hvw »

Francois, I reached my descent altitude som 35 nm before my destination. The aircraft simply didn't get out of DES. I waited and waited to no avail. I didn't attempt to correct anything and so the plane crashed. Below you'll find the generated .csv file. In a separate message I will paste a screenshot, this will be a virtual cockpit one as P3D doesn't do 2D cockpits.
Can you tell me where I can find the debug file that was written because of activating gauge 20?

Hans

"Aircraft Ident","Airbus","A320"
"Save Flight Plan","1."
"Departure Aircraft Position","1.","5"
"Flight Plan File",,"C:\\users\\hans\\documents\\Prepar3D v2 Files\\IFR Stansted to Schiphol.PLN"

"Departure Airport : ","EGSS"
"Departure Airport Elevation : ","348."
"Departure ICAO region : ","EG"
"Departure Position : ","5"
"Destination Airport : ","EHAM"
"Arrival Airport Elevation : ","-13."
"Destination ICAO region : ","EH"
"Trip total Distance : ","194.8"
"Distance Remaining : ","15.86"
"Altitude Descent Target : ","3000."
"Descent Target distance : ","0."

"Current Flight settings : "
"Optimal Flight Level : ","145."
"FMS enabled : ","1."
"FMS init OK : ","1."
"FMS TakeOff Init OK :","0."
"Current flight phase :"
"Aircraft takeoff state","1.","0=Takeoff is not completed : SFCC in Ground mode 1=had takeoff : SFCC in flight mode"
"Takeoff phase","5.","-1=not cleared 0=Ready 1=takoff go 2=Aircraft is airbone 3=THR RED ALT reached 4=Initial acceleration 5=Aircrat is above 10000ft. Takeoff is completed"
"Aircraft Climb","0."
"Aircraft Climb phase","4.","0=aircraft is below 10000ft 1=Climb acceleration 2=Aircraft climb 3=Climb is completed 4=descent is engaged"
"Aircraft cruise","0."
"Aircraft descent","1."
"Aircraft Descent phase","5.","1=initial descent engaged 2=aicraft is above conjunction altitude 3=aircraft is between Conjunction altitude and 18000ft 4=aircraft is below 18000ft"
"Aircraft Approach phase","0."
"Callout 80kts : ","1."
"Callout V1 : ","1."
"Callout Vr : ","1."
"Callout V2 : ","1."
"Callout Check Speed : ","0."
"FMS SETUP : "
"TakeOFF Page : "
"Runway Takeoff : ","5"
"Takeoff V1 Vr V2 : ","117.","132.","137."
"SRS Speed : ","152."
"GPS Nav Flag : ","0."
"Takeoff Runway Ok : ","1.","5"
"Cost Index Value : ","1.","40."
"Takeoff THUST mode 1=TOGA 2=FLEX : ","2."
"Flex To Temp setting : ","1.","55."
"Takeoff Flaps Config : ","3.","0=clean 1=Slats1 2=1+F 3=1+2 4=3 4=full"
"Takeoff Heading : ","0.","50."
"LNAV Engage Altitude : ","1.","0."
"Thrust Reduction Altitude : ","1.","1200."
"Acceleration Altitude : ","1.","1200."
"Econ Thrust : ","0."
"EXPEDITE : ","1."
"N1 climb Thrust Below FL100 : ","1.","89."
"Climb Speed below FL100 : ","1.","250."
"Climb Speed Green Dot : ","0.","0."
"Constraint Altitude : ","0.","0."
"Constraint Speed : ","0.","0."
"QNH Transition : ","1.","5000."
"QNH State : ","0.","0=barometric value 1=STD"
"CLIMB Page : "
"Climb Thrust ECON : ","0."
"N1 Climb Thrust above FL100 : ","1.","87."
"Climb Econ Thrust : ","0."
"Climb Thrust Expedite : ","1."
"ECON Flight Level : ","0."
"Flight Level 1 : ","1.","250."
"Climb speed IAS value above FL100 : ","1.","338."
"Climb Speed Econ : ","1."
"Conjunction IAS/MACH Altitude : ","1.","29000"
"Climb Speed MACH Value above Conjunction Alt : ","0.","0."
"Climb Speed MACH Econ : ","0."
"CRUISE Page : "
"Cruise ECON Speed IAS : ","1."
"Cruise Speed IAS FL1 : ","1.","338."
"Cruise ECON Speed MACH : ","0."
"Cruise Speed MACH FL1 : ","0.","0."
"Change Flight Level : ","0."
"Flight Level 2 : ","0.","0."
"Weight Flight Level 2 Kg and Pounds : ","0.","0.","0."
"Cruise Speed FL 2 Mach : ","0.","0."
"Top Of Descent : ","1.","33.999"
"Descent Constraint : ","1."

"FCU Settings : Knob FCU 0=selected mode 1=managed mode "
"SPEED : ","1."
"HDG : ","0."
"ALT : ","1."
"Altitude Constraint : ","0."
"Autopilot Pitch mode : ","0."
"V/S mode : ","1."," 0=Selected 1=managed"
"Speed Managed IAS : ","235."
"Speed Managed Mach : ","0."
"Aicraft is Above Transition : ","0."
"user FCU altitude Flag : ","1."
"ILS Land Phase : ","0."
"ILS Mode Armed : ","0."
"Approach Mode Armed : ","0."
"Localizer Armed : ","0."
"Approach type : ","0."
"Landing : ","0."
"Flare : ","0."
"Roll Out : ","0."
"Number of Waypoints : ","11."
"Offset waypoint list : ","0."
"Engine 1 Generator : ","1."
"Engine 2 Generator : ","1."
"DC Volts Selector : ","0."
"Inertial Sys on/off : ","0."
"Inertial Data : ","0."
"Panel Cabin Light : ","0."
"Engine 1 Bleed : ","0."
"Engine 2 Bleed : ","0."
"APU Bleed : ","0."
"VOR Switch 1 : ","1."
"VOR Switch 2 : ","1."
"Index of Active Waypoint : ","9."
"Checklist ID : ","13."
"Aircraft is above Mach Altitude MACH mode is engaged : ","0."
"Speed/MACH button pushed : ","0."
"User specific landing frequency : ","0."
"FSX landing frequency : ","0."
"SFCC flag Flaps on ground : ","0."
"SFCC : Aircraft is airborne : ","0."
"SFCC Flaps config before takeoff : Aircraft is on ground : ","0."
"Zero Fuel Weight ZFW : ","54538"
"No Smoking Switch State : ","1."
"Seat Belt Switch State : ","1."
"Engine 1 Fuel burned since departure in Pounds : ","1795.1"
"Engine 2 Fuel burned since departure in Pounds : ","1804.7"
"Index first approche waypoint if Go Around : ","0."
"Altitude first approach waypoint if Go Around : ","0."
"Speed first approach waypoint if Go Around : ","0."
"Autopilot engaged : ","1."
"AutoThrottle engaged : ","1."
"Autopilot Hold Altitude : ","3000."
"Autopilot Altitude Lock : ","1."
"Autopilot heading value : ","231."
"Autopilot Heading Lock : ","1."
"Autopilot GPS Drives NAV1 : ","1."
"FPA mode engaged : ","0."
"FPA Value in degrees : ","0."
"Final Approach Altitude unlocked : ","0."
"User descent Altitude Target Flag","0."
"User descent Altitude Target value","4000."
"User Descent Altitude Target Ok","1."

"SID Loaded : ","0."
"SID data : "

"STAR Loaded : ","0."
"STAR data : "

"Approach Loaded : ","0."
"Approach Data : "

"FSX Variables monitoring Values : "

"AUTOPILOT CONFIGURATION"
"Autopilot Armed","1."
"Auto Throttle Armed","1."
"Autopilot AirSpeed Hold mode","0."
"Autopilot Airspeed KIAS Value","225."
"Autopilot Mach Hold mode","0."
"Autopilot Mach Value","0.36"
"Autopilot Heading lock mode","1."
"Autopilot Heading Dir value","231."
"Autopilot NAV1 Lock","0."
"GPS Drives NAV1","1."
"Autopilot Altitude Hold","1."
"Autopilot Target Altitude","3000."
"Autopilot Vertical Speed ft/mn","0."

"Aircraft performances and environement"
"indicated Airspeed","0."
"Indicated MACH","0.17402"
"indicated Altitude","6.3094"
"Verticale Speed Ft/mn","-11010"
"Total Weight in Kgs","59173"
"Fuel on Board in Kgs","4635.3"
"Flaps Position","3."
"Spoilers Armed","0."
"Ambiant Wind Velocity","11."
"Ambiant Wind Direction","344."
"Ambiant temperature in Celsius","18.138"

"A32x series FMS Beta 0.77h June 2014 - Data save file v1.30.3 - CSV file format can be read with EXCEL or similar software"
"© François Dore - June 2014"

"LoggerX is © Robbie McElrath"," LoggerX Version : ","1.1"

hvw

Post by hvw »

And here's the screenshot:

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

For a mysterious reason, your aircraft has not toggle in SPEED mode at the end of the descent. Why ? that is a question !

I am doing a flight to test.

I see that your flight arrives to EHAM. Do you now that you have EHAM SID/STAR/Approches in the database ?

I don't know P3D. If you can't have the 2D cockpit in P3D, it is useless to activate the debug gauge, because she works only in 2D cockpit (this gauge displays permanently on the upper left of the screen all the FMC parameters in real time).

Maybe the problem comes that you have overshoot the destination before the end of descent, and in this case, maybe the FMC don't know what it must do.

If you see that you arrive too high, without a STAR, do a holding before reachs the destination. In FSX, if the aircraft reachs the last waypoint of the flightplan, the flightplan is cancelled and the aircraft turn around.

I think that it is a way to check;

françois

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I have wrote this FMC to be use in priority with SID/STAR/APPROACHES.

I know that I the actual airport database is in standby mode, because I change of AIRAC and I must re-write al the existing airports, but when this job will be completed, new airports will come.

I have written a new version of the SID/STAR/APPROACH creation user manual, but it is in french for the moment; I must send the manual to Adrian Roebl to do the english translation.

When the new database will be ready, there will be new airports every weeks.

Be patient.

But test the STAR and approaches of the actual EHAM (based on the graham Mitchell AIRAC). and be carreful, the aircraft is not intended for very short flight.

A A320 do flights more than 200 Nm.

hvw

Post by hvw »

Francois,

I do know that an Airbus is not intended for short flights, if I want to do short flights, I rent a Cessna :)

Anyway, at EHAM it is not rare not to use any STAR but use radar vectors, also it is common place that ATC will ask you to expedite descent so breaking out of managed mode is quite often done. Having said that, I can assure you that at all the approaches I did so far, I reached my approach level in good time, and no, I didn't overshoot my destination, I never got there :) And no, again, I didn't arrive too high, I was quite some time at 3000 feet. FYI, when at 3000 ft. G/S will kick in at 9 NM, I was already at some 20-plus NM out when I arrived at 3000ft. Problem is, there was no change from DES to APPR mode.

Oh BTW, BA use A320s and A321s from EGLL to EHAM, a short flight of only some 220 NM :). (A321 is being used when there is need for more pax/cargo capacity).

Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

Maybe an explanation :

In the older panel, the FMC default target descent altitude was calculated and rounded.

I have delete the rounded function because I thought that have no importance, so now the target altitude can be 2987 feet and not 2900 feet. May be FSX don't like this type of number.

I'll furnish the old code to rounding numbers .....

But I am not sure that come from here, because I havn't the problem on my computer.

Maybe a xml part of code not compatible with P3D......

I will search

Edit : The no-rounded altitude number is only since the 0.77h and I think that you have the problem before .....

Can you confirm please ?

Francois

hvw

Post by hvw »

Hi Francois,

Yes, I do have this issue since a couple of versions, I think but am not sure, that all this started since you made some modifications after Wulf's ILS problem.

I don't think P3D is to blame, as other FMS-equipped aircraft that I have are performing flawlessly where approaches and landings are concerned. But here, too, I am not sure if P3D could be the culprit. As you already determined, the aircraft just doesn't get out of DES mode, and I assure you that I already had been some 20NMs at the required level to exit out of DES mode.

It may not be relevant to this problem but yet I'll report it. On departure as well as in DES mode SFCC doesn't kick in. I am managing the flaps manually. (This, too, happened since some versions ago but I unfortunately forgot to inform you about it).

Hans

fdd_fr

Post by fdd_fr »

I have cancelled the change of ILS code; Now, it is like older version.

Open with notepad in the \panel\A320_CFM and \Panel\A320_IAE\ folder the file "A32x_PFD_MFD_SEL_PANEL.xml" and check at hte begining of the file if there is the 0.77h version :

<Comment id="Comment">
<Value>EFIS Gauge - A32x Family - COPYRIGHT © FRANCOIS DORE - 2014 Beta version 0.77h June, 2014 </Value>
</Comment>
If some user can give the result of thier tests, to know if they have the same problem, they are welcome.

Francois

hvw

Post by hvw »

Yes, Francois, both CFM and IAE are version 0.77h.

Do you want me to change anything in those files?

Hans