My first plane in GMAX

Alexis

Re: My first plane in GMAX

Post by Alexis »

There are two ways to make a fuselage (or anything):
-Spline modeling: you use circles, and then use loft to get the shape you want. This way you make the cross sections of the fuselage, and Gmax automatically makes all of itfor you. You just need to make some tweaks. Depending on how many cross sections you use, you can achieve mediocre to great results.
-Box modeling (or cylinder modeling in our case): Make 1,2,3 or as many cylindres as you need, place them and edit at will. Takes longer, but is easier and more customisable than the other method (if you don't know how to properly use it). You can also start off a single long cylinder, and divide it into separate pieces. Whether you make the fuselage as one, two or 20 pieces, the end result and amount of work will be the same.
I don't have screenshots. I do have an old 737 model I could send you to have a look at. You could also go to Simviation.com and download some of the "orphan" models found there. These are aircraft (or anything else) completed to some extent, and the modeler couldn't finish them. So go ahead and get one to finish (I propose taking my Tu-22 once you can handle it -I was bored of finishing it).

sknepper

Post by sknepper »

How are you coming on Jason9001? It has been quite quiet here for a while so I was wandering if you are still working on the model? :roll: It is nice that you're trying your hand at Gmax. And remeber that if you're having difficulties, there are many people willing to help. That's the great thing about freeware, everyone helps in any way they can without having to sign on the dotted line, so to speak. :)

Jason9001

Post by Jason9001 »

sknepper wrote:How are you coming on Jason9001? It has been quite quiet here for a while so I was wandering if you are still working on the model? :roll: It is nice that you're trying your hand at Gmax. And remeber that if you're having difficulties, there are many people willing to help. That's the great thing about freeware, everyone helps in any way they can without having to sign on the dotted line, so to speak. :)
Hey Sknepper :)
Its going fine i'm still working with it. ;)
Have made many models but here yesterday my computer broke down and i lost them all... :(
I hope on making a new super MD8x famely package maybe i can work togheter with Leonardo SH they have the systems etc. i have the model, but first i'm need to complete my training... :P

I hope i can be back with new models soon
- Jason9001

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

Does anyone know of any 3d modelling and airport creation tutorials? ie create a 3d model with texture and export to fs.

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

You will find this tutorial EXACTLY in the FS9 SDK documents.

Movieman162

Post by Movieman162 »

How about for say.... fsx?

Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Use FS9's tutorial. The modeling/texturing part is the same. The only difference from FSX is the material properties in Gmax and assigning a "friendly name" to it, if needed.